Old 08-01-2006, 10:28 AM   #1   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Thumbs up Fate/Stay Night

Well, I'd figure I would get the ball rolling here. I finshed watching probably the most anticipate anime this year. I must say that it wasn't bad at all. Like Tsukihime, Lunar Legend (which was also done by Type-Moon) alot of things are shrouded in mystery. Well, not really, but you get that feeling when watching it. "Tiger" or Fuji-sensei add some comedic value to it, but other than that, it was a pretty much actioned packed drama, with the hint of something huge to come.

I know that Fate-stay/Night is pretty popular Japan, but I quite frankly don't know anything about this franchise at all, so I'm starting in really fresh.

I definately liked the OP and ED themes. They fit the series quite nicely. The animation itself wasn't bad either. The characters are all shrouded in Mystery. Especially Rin and Archer. Which I was wondering, why exactly is he called Archer when he doesn't use a bow and arrow as a weapon? Also, I wonder whom Emiya's servant is going to be? It looks like it may be that girl with the sword, but episode 2 says other wise.

I'm definately going to keep my eyes on this one as it's storyline is only going to grow and get more interesting.

Last edited by ACE2001; 08-01-2006 at 10:30 AM.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:48 PM   #2   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Just found out some recent information about this anime. I'm posting it for the people whom are debating to stick with this anime:

Fate/stay night is a popular H Japanese visual novel game created by TYPE-MOON in 2004. It appears to take place in the same world as their signature work, Tsukihime, although they explore different themes. It was the first commercial title of TYPE-MOON.

An anime series is also in the works by Studio Deen; the official announcement and teaser trailer were first shown at the Rondo Robe 2005 "-Gate to Date-" event on June 26, 2005. The Fate/stay night anime is scheduled for release in 2006.

Fate/stay night is about events in the life of a high-school boy, Emiya Shiro, who lives in Fuyuki City. At a young age his parents died in a fire and he was adopted by Emiya Kiritsugu, an enigmatic man who called himself a sorcerer. Eventually, Kiritsugu passed away as well.

Unknown to him and the rest of Fuyuki City, their city is the battleground for a secret war. When the time is right, sorcerers from near and far gather with their Servants - the summoned spirits of heroes so mighty they exist outside of time - and fight a war for possession of the Holy Grail, a relic said to grant its owner a wish. The true names of the Servants reveal their weaknesses, and so they are usually referred to by a classification of type instead; Saber, Archer, Rider, Berserker, Lancer, Caster, and Assassin.

When returning from cleaning his archery club's dojo one day, Shiro accidentally sees two of the Servants, Archer and Lancer, battling in the school yard. To preserve the secrecy of the war, Lancer mortally wounds him; but a girl who up until now seemed a normal classmate of his, Tosaka Rin, saves his life using a magical pendant. As he continues home, bewildered, Lancer attacks him again. Just before he's about to die for good, the servant Saber appears before him, greeting him with the words "Art thou my master?"

Inexorably, he is drawn further and further into the Grail War…

Source: Animenation
Old 08-01-2006, 11:26 PM   #3   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Started watching as mentioned I would in the currently watching thread. Was really the only new anime series that looked somewhat interesting.

Character designs and animation look average, don't quite like the look of Emiya. Bit slow this episode was hoping for some action of sorts, the random outbursts of the teacher and going all chibi and SD seemed a bit out of place. I'll continue with the series, I'm bit interested in all the servant classes.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:10 PM   #4   [permalink]
umoa

Send a message via AIM to umoa
its on the front cover on a catalog that cd japan sent.
umoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:17 PM   #5   [permalink]
snowcherry
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to snowcherry
I played a bit of the game before a hard drive crash ate it. I've been wanting to see this since it was first announced, and the first episode didn't disappoint. (I never particularly liked Shirou, though; Rin was what kept me interested in the story.)

As with the rest of Type-Moon's stuff, I love the character designs for the girls, but the guys look sort of odd. Not that it matters, because this is based on an H-game: no one's really paying attention to what the guys look like. Heh.
Old 15-01-2006, 06:55 AM   #6   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Watched episode 2 a few minutes ago. I must admit, for the first several minutes, I thought that Rin was a "bad guy" of sorts as seems to run around with an evil-like look on her face. But that was quickly put to rest when she ended up saving Emiya after he was attacked by Lancer. It's pretty clear that she may like Emiya, but time will tell if they will be come allies or true enemies.A little thing that kind of annoyed me was the way that Shinji treats Emiya. I really don't see how Emiya sees Shinji as a friend. He acted more like an arrogant bastard to me. Shinji and Sakura are definately polar opposites of each other. I wonder if Sakura is a master.....

But the coolest part of the episode was watching Saber come out and kick a little ass!! Everything just seemed so....I can't describe it. The voice, her character, everything seemed to fit her. I was litterally on the edge of my seat waiting to see how she was going to fight Saber. But as predicted, it left us with a cliff-hanger.

I'm definately liking the tone of this show. It's not too dark, but pretty moody. Some-what slow-moving but there still seems to be plenty of action go around which picks up in the next episode. And let's not forget the music. I'm definately buying the soundtrack once it comes out. Right now, I'm pretty glad that didn't know too much about this series, otherwise my enjoyment of it right now would definately be ruined. .

P.S. I know I asked in my earlier post, but Rin's servant is Archer, but why exactly does he use swords? Is it the result of him not actually remembering anything about himself or are those his actual weapons? Corret me if I'm wrong, but don't Archers usually deal with bows and arrows?

Last edited by ACE2001; 15-01-2006 at 06:59 AM. Reason: A second thought
Old 18-01-2006, 03:32 PM   #7   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
As an archer, you like to have some kinds of defensive weapons for close range. Archer dual wielding swords is kinda strange though since archer usually use knifes and daggers for close range combat.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 03:37 PM   #8   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Okay, I see what you're saying. It just that I've never seen an Archer in close range combat..
Old 19-01-2006, 07:56 AM   #9   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

I like the premise of the show.Kinda like a mature pokemon clone. "Archer,I choose you!"

Lol but seriously I really like the series so far.Now that Saber is there too it's gonna get fun.
Old 19-01-2006, 09:16 PM   #10   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Strange thing about the archer - lancer fight is that the magician doesn't seem to do anything in it. If any of you have played rpg before you would know that having a mage backing you up is a sure win especially on equal terms. That fight should have been over in mere second if lancer mage was on the other side of town. After hearing archer comment on his master must have been a great magician I would have expected more. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this supposed to be a mage vs mage thing, the avatars are what they are, summons to do its masters bidding and not take over the whole fight I hope.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2006, 01:31 AM   #11   [permalink]
umoa

Send a message via AIM to umoa
how many episodes are there? or is it still ongoing? so far i have seen 2 episodes.
umoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2006, 01:42 AM   #12   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Only started airing just recently in Japan and yes just the two episodes so far have been fansubbed.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 06:38 AM   #13   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Finished up episode 3 today. Definately alot of things were explained in this episode: The history of the Holy Grail War, Masters, Servants, and the rules. This was very convienient for me as I really didn't understand what was going on too much. I see a problem down the road though, especially if Rin and Emiya are left, this could pose a interesting situation however since it seems that Rin doesn't want to kill Emiya and Emiya doesn't have the desire to really fight...yet.

But, the highlight of this episode, as with second one was definately Saber. If I have said it before, I'll say it again: SABER KICKS ASS. Out of all the servants I've seen, she's the one I like the most. She's a little like the Terminator, but only with more emotions. Too bad Emiya can't use his full potential yet. Also we found out whom Lancer was, which was interesting since his weapon supposedly kills immediately but Saber was saved because she wasn't completely materialized by Emiya. To me, as of right now, I think that Saber is the most powerful as she was able to push back Lancer and Rin, but next episode shows an even more powerful servant and the Master whom warned Emiya about not summoning his servant.

I'm definately liking the feel and the tone of this series. Lots of action, mystery, conflicts....Man, I just hate having to wait another week to watch the next episode. Makes me want to go out and buy the hentai game!!!
Old 22-01-2006, 06:53 AM   #14   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Thought I add one more thing: I love the OP song!!! It's so addicting. I must have listened to it about 30 times in row! I'm definately getting the single once it comes out in February.
Old 23-01-2006, 02:17 PM   #15   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Pimp.

That's my description of this anime so far (up to ep 3).

Ok, that might be embellished, but it's still cool. I got chills on some of the scenes, so that means it's good so far, hehe. It helps that I'm such a hardcore rpg/adventure fanatic.

I hate the MC though. Not his character, but his attitude. He's too whiny. Yeah yeah, they always are in bishoujo games, but he's even worse. I'll chalk it up to his inexperience and ignorance for now, but it better not get worse.

Regarding Takahashi's comment on masters and servants fighting together, I can give two reasons as to why it hasn't happened yet. First, it stems from the inexperience of the connections between the masters and their servants, and maybe of that of the master themselves. Second, it may be from the style of the masters. It is true that the duo would usually be more powerful then the individual, but not all masters, or mages, fight the same way.

For Lancer's case, it was said in ep 3 that his master is a coward so that obviously answers why that duo never happened. For the rest, well, it's definitely too early in the series to make any sound judgments.

Oh, and dual-wielding swords isn't that unusual for archers, presuming they were short swords. The one's Lancer wielded were probably short swords, so I find no problem with that. As long as they are light one-handed weapons, the melee weapon selection for archer's can be infinite.

Good start to this series, and definitely one I'll be anticipating each week.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to note. This reminds me of Shaman King. Heh, ok, not really worth the edit, but I had to mention it. Having an overseer was what clinched the comparison for me, hehe.

Last edited by oppa; 23-01-2006 at 02:27 PM.
oppa is offline   Reply With Quote