FLCL
Boogiepop Phantom
Lain
Berserk
Eva

---- I dont like:

TRIGUN
Escaflowne

all that stuff... that tries to be 'original' but kind of fails. Can you think of any new anime (liscensed or unliscensed) that lives up to things like Berserk?

I saw this movie, MingGame, that I thought was really great, a good direction for anime... Its been a while since I saw something with such substance.
DrZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:17 AM   #2   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Judging by your list of likes, it's apparent you like anime that screws with your mind. Due to the experimental and unique nature of these animes, it's not easy to recommend something. Plus, you've already seen, and liked, the one's I enjoyed anyway. SO... I'll just list titles that stray from the norm as the one's you've liked:

Ghost in the Shell (original movie) - I'm sure you've seen this one though
Key - The Metal Idol
Paranoia Agent
Rah Xephon
Texhnolyze

In no particular order.. well, just alphabetized, that's all. The only one I've seen are GitS and Rah Xephon, both of which I would recommend (though RX isn't quite a mind screw as those you've liked). The others, from hearsay and such, seem to be "abnormal" anime.

Check out AniDB and ANN for more info on those anime, and try Anime Planet for some other recommendations based on your likes.

EDIT: Oh, my bad. You said "new"... um, some of those I listed are quite old, hehe. Texhnolyze is the newest one of the bunch, but even then it's around two years old.

Last edited by oppa; 08-02-2006 at 11:20 AM.
oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:16 PM   #3   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
I second Paranoia Agent.

Damn, I feel like there's one recently that I really need to recommend to you but I cant remember its name.

Is Boogiepop Phantom original, or 'trying to be'? Cos..even though I own it and enjoyed it, I definately got the impression it wasnt making a point. Just cashing in on ppl like Heart Havok.

One I think was ok, but not twisted -> Tokyo Godfathers. Might have trouble finding it. I only recently came across it.

'Twelve Kingdoms' isnt twisted, but pretty good.

Goddamnit, my mind is twisting under the pressure of trying to remember what it was I thought was perfect for NGE&Lain&Boogiepop&Nowandthenhereandthere fans.

Oh, and whats with the Berserk love? I been watching this a while now, and whilst its good I dont understand why all the good press.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:23 PM   #4   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

I've seen about a dozen eps of Full Metal Alchemist so far, and I have to admit some of the episodes get rather sinister. But otherwise it's mostly magic/adventure/comedy.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:01 PM   #5   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Berserk is just a solid story with good animation, chars, and yadda yadda. The "hype" most likely stems from the LACK of more Berserk. You know, the more you want something, the bigger a deal you make it.. that kinda thing. Don't get me wrong, I loved it and I, too, wantses more, but I don't make the kind of uproar that is apparent with the die-hard fans.

Oops, way off topic.

I forgot one.

Perfect Blue

It's a psycho-thriller, a genre I'm not too keen on in any form of film/video, but I liked this one.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:07 PM   #6   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Millennium Actress. There, now we've got the trifecta of Satoshi Kon movies and series up here.

I third Paranoia Agent and second Texhnolyze.

Also, if what you like about those ones you've listed is the psychological using-your-brain aspect, try Kino's Journey. That one definitely has a lot of concepts to consider in it.

And Gankutsuou. I've got no clue where it fits into your list, but it's such a damn good show I've got to recommend it to everyone I meet.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:41 PM   #7   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend Katushiro Otomo anthology film Memories. I definitely think it's one of the more underrated animated films to come out stateside in the past few years.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:27 AM   #8   [permalink]
DrZepp
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to DrZepp Send a message via AIM to DrZepp
I havent seen:

Paranoid Agent, Texhnolyze, Gankutsuou, Twelve Kingdoms, Tokyo Godfathers

Ill probably watch Paranoid Agent next... Ive heard things, but the recommendations have sealed the deal.

Whats Gankutsuou like?

And Berserk.... its the ----. Actually, the anime starts out a bit slow, but once it gets to the part where Caska is on her period (literally) its excellent. Plus, combined with the Manga, well... you gotta read that. I wont hype anymore.
DrZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 01:11 PM   #9   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Gankutsuou is an adaptation of The count of monte cristo book, about greed, betrayals and revenge.
You like miyazaki stuff, so I think you should give Mushishi a try.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:34 PM   #10   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Ooh, forgot about Mushishi. I've only seen a handful of eps but it's definitely not your standard anime. One main diff is that it's episodic. Not quite American cartoons episodic, but kinda like Cowboy Bebop episodic. Running storyline contained within one-shot episodes.

But, again, that's based on a few eps (5 or 6 I think). I can't say how it gets further into the series.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:58 PM   #11   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

I've heard Mushishi compared to Kino's Journey. For you guys who've seen both, what do you think?
Old 11-02-2006, 09:43 AM   #12   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
I just saw a new one shot ova "Pale Cocoon", its about a post apocalypse world, just not your usuall violent world, but a tranquile one.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:03 PM   #13   [permalink]
Shinobe333

Samurai 7!! Definite Quality

Got to get Samurai 7 some exposure. It's awesome!!!!! I've seen the original 7 Samurai and it was really good. THe Magnificent 7 and several other "western" movies are actually based on it. In fact, one could even see the parallel with the Matrix.

But I prefer Samurai 7 to the Matrix. So far through the 1st 3 DvD's it's been very well written - in Japanese!!! I can't stand the English voice acting - though good, too stupid in places that I really don't appreciate. And I'm almost sure that the voice for the youngest Samurai is that of Rurouni Kenshin. Sure sounds like it.

So, if you're looking for a good plot, good character development, some serioius twists in the way "bandits" are portraited as well as samurai, then this show is for you!
--Shin
Old 11-02-2006, 10:23 PM   #14   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Whoa. That's one I've never heard before. The Matrix = Seven Samurai? How do you figure that?
Old 12-02-2006, 12:34 AM   #15   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Shinobi X Send a message via MSN to Shinobi X
Rated by anime fans. If you never seen some of the titles in the top 10, you are reccomended to see them...listed here.
Shinobi X is offline   Reply With Quote