Old 13-02-2006, 11:07 AM   #1   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Shakugan no Shana

I'm surprised there wasn't a thread on this. I did a more then thorough search to make sure, but unless I'm an idiot (which is a possibility), I couldn't find one.

I put this one off since the description turned me off at first, even though it was highly rated from several sites. Funny thing is that the only reason I started it now is because I found it it was based off a manga from Dengeki Daioh, hehe. Yesyes, I'm very simple-minded.

Anyway, I was gonna hold off on a new thread since I probably create too many threads on series', but after watching the last ep (18), I couldn't resist. It's been a great series so far with plenty of action, good animation, and the right mix of comedy. The male MC, Yuji, isn't a complete wuss so that helps and Shana contains a nice mix of personalities from different types of base characters which seemingly make her unique.

But, I digress. The real reason I created this is because that last ep was just too much. I've been waiting for when everyone finally finds out about everyone else, how the core cast are all aware of Flame Haze's and such. All this time, just waiting for things to be revealed, and they finally do so all in one ep; the ep that I FINALLY caught up to and now have to wait more for. That was just mean!

Anyway, I just wanted to spark discussion and interest in this series, so ultimately, that was the real reason for this thread. I'll definitely be picking this one up once it finally comes out... [this next part is an unnecessary mini-rant that can be ignored] (even though I utterly despise the licensing of series before they finish, solely because the companies like to sit on them for so long that if they just licensed it towards the end of the series, it would've been released stateside at about the same time anyway so all it does is screw up fansubbing)

The second ending song is great too. When I get the chance, I'm gonna pick that one up too. I'm just a sucker for songs like this. Idk how to describe it. The best I can do is give other examples:

Kirei no Kanjou by Arai Akino - Noir ed song
Duvet by BOA - Serial Experiments Lain op song
World's Apart by Jars of Clay

I suppose, somewhat depressing songs but with more of an upbeat rhythm... or something to that effect. My roommate says I favor songs in the minor key, and those tend to be described as "depressing" or "sad." I did list a few of my fave songs and they were all in the minor key, so he may have a point, but I never asked about the above listed songs so I can't say. My ear for music is rather limited compared to his.

Last edited by oppa; 13-02-2006 at 11:20 AM.
oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 03:14 PM   #2   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Wow, I thought I was the only one! I've too watched all 18 episodes and I must say that the latest episodes have been keeping me on the edge of my seat. I felt bad for Shanna when Yuji ran off from her like that, especially since Kazumi now knows that he was a "torch." It was pretty obvious that she was in pain, but he ignored her feelings and forgot the bigger task at hand. It looks like it's going to get even worse as episode 19 has Yuji getting further away from Shanna...

I would like to say alot more but it's quite hard to summarize or make sense out of all 18 episodes that I've seen. The only complaint I have, which is weird is why did they make Shanna's body look like cardboard? She has to be the most flattest anime chick I have EVER seen and I've seen alot of them believe me!! Although I'll admit she did look good in her yukata.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 03:34 PM   #3   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Well, I'm most excited that, maybe soon, the whole Flame Haze crew + their partners may finally come together. I thought it was obvious from the beginning that Shana + Yuji and Doe + Keisaku + Eita would end up becoming a "team" but it has not happened yet. And now with the addition of this new Flame Haze + Yoshida, and especially with all the secrets being found out at the end of ep 18, I'm starting to think this "team" could become quite spectacular. I've been anticipating this from the start, and making myself giddy about it everytime it seems close to happening... so you could say I'm more then a little psyched about what's to come, hehe.

Regarding Shana's underdevelopedness... my best guess is that when one becomes a Flame Haze, one stops aging (or it's at least severely slowed). Looking at Shana's demeaner, especially during the flashback of her backstory, she couldn't be more then 14 years old, and that's guessing high. I'd say she was around 12. Going by that assumption, it's easy to see why she's not developed. Of course, you'd have to agree to that assumption.

Another guess is that not that much time has passed since Shana became a Flame Haze. When you look at her backstory, the surface world back then didn't seem all that different from the present, so maybe she was, say, 10 when she became a Flame Haze and it's only been like 3 years since then.

This is fun. Hmm, but those are the only two guess I can come up with. Oh, but ultimately, I'd say it's just the mangaka/animators doing it to give her an "innocent" look to fit her naive-like personality, which all contrasts with who she is as a Flame Haze. Big-breasted anime chicks tend to lose that look of innocence, heh.

Hmmmmm... I'm out of guesses.

Man, so much typage on such a small topic, geez.
Old 13-02-2006, 03:55 PM   #4   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

I guess, but man, did they really have to make her that flat?! I'm mean she should have a least a little sex-appeal. Right now she has just about as much sex-appeal as a brick. No wonder Yuji ran away from her!! j/k

As for the Flame Haze coming together, I don't think that would seem likely since their personalities are so vastly different from each other. They would litteraly get in each other's way. I would like to see it, but would they be able to function as a team properly is the real question.

Can't really pinpoint what I'm looking forward to from the rest of the episodes other than the fact that what will become of Yuji and Shanna. I think that what keeps me watching and the fact there is alot of action going on.
Old 13-02-2006, 09:57 PM   #5   [permalink]
Ado
Forum Junkie

Send a message via MSN to Ado
Felt bad for Shana
Waiting for Wilhelmina to come into the picture
Like the fact Shana's development is proportional to her age
Old 18-02-2006, 04:25 PM   #6   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Ep. 19. Damn. So much ---- happened in just the last two eps. Makes sense though, since this this is the prelude for the grand finale.

My wish sorta came true. Sorta. Kinda.

I wonder if the manga is done yet. I can't find much info on it. I'd hate for a crappy ending cuz the manga ain't done.

The second ending song is still pimp. I wantses it.
Old 18-02-2006, 06:23 PM   #7   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Just watched episode 19.....only two words describe this episode: Poor Shanna. These last two episodes have been really ------ for her (excuse my foul language.) She basically watched Yuji turn a complete 180 around her. Now all of a sudden his focus is on Yoshida....man, I really wanted to hit him for that. Shanna's feelings for him were so obvious and written all over her face. His cluelessness is pissing me off here. Out of all the times to abandon Shanna like that. Sigh....

And to make things more akward, Wilhelmina shows up in front of Shanna right at the very end. The next episode though, it's going to look like Shanna is going to get a rude awakening from Wilhelmina....Another thing, was it me or was the villian in the past two episodes pretty stupid and pointless? I mean what exactly was he supposed to do anyways? Hopefully, the next episode will explain that part.
Old 19-02-2006, 02:39 AM   #8   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

I wouldn't say he's being clueless. Shana just won't display how she feels in front of Yuji. It's obvious how Shana feels, but it's not so obvious to Yuji. If he tried to see it, I'm sure he can but given all the ---- that's around him, it's probably difficult to do so. It's worse now because, from what I can guess, Yuji is affected (positively) by the fact that Yoshida called him a "human" more then that she confessed to him. That's probably why he was tearing up.

Yeah, things look tough and this isn't even related to all the bad ---- that's happening around them. I feel both for Shana and Yoshida. Obviously, Shana should be "the one" but I'm not heartless. Yoshida is going through alot of emotions too.

The things that loony did was pointless on the surface, but it definitely started something given how the episode ended. Like I said, it's just a prelude for the grand finale. Hopefully, it'll be a good one!
Old 19-02-2006, 07:29 AM   #9   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Yeah, it really is hard to decide whom is more deserving of Yuji's affection. I think it's harder on Shana because she does have a hard time showing her feelings to people. She's been sheltered her whole life and really doesn't have experience dealing with situations like this. I don't know, it's just to me Yuji just abandoned her so quickly, especially after what was going on right in front of them. I felt that he should've at least listened what Shana had to say instead of just running away from her like that. It's like at that moment Shana's feelings really didn't matter. He became more concerned about Yoshida because he feels sorry that she found out he was a torch. To be honest, I think Shana should just worry about the Tomogora at this point.

Yeah, Loony did mention that the plan was a success, but I was just wondering what the heck the plan was? Seems like he was acting more like a retard and less as a villian. I really do hope that there was a method to his madness.
Old 19-02-2006, 08:27 AM   #10   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by ACE2001
Yeah, Loony did mention that the plan was a success, but I was just wondering what the heck the plan was? Seems like he was acting more like a retard and less as a villian. I really do hope that there was a method to his madness.
Heh, I think that's because he IS a retard. His eccentric and maniacal methods and behavior were probably the best way to hide whatever it is they were hiding. It worked, because the "good" guys have absolutely no idea what's going on.

I still hope it ends well. I still can't find much more relevant info about the manga.

Last edited by oppa; 19-02-2006 at 08:29 AM.
oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 04:02 AM   #11   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Awwww.

Just when I thought ep 20 was gonna be a filler/set-up episode, they go and end it like that. Boooooo.
Old 25-02-2006, 05:58 AM   #12   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Episode 20 was definately a heart-wrenching episode. Wilhelmina's appearance was akward I believe. Very weird timing. Her words however cut like a knife. Everything she said was blunt and to the point. Especially when she said that she had to kill Yuji to transfer the Reiji Magii. What surprised me was that Shanna went along with her. I was saying the whole time "say it ain't so." Well, these last several episodes have definately been a downward spiral for Shanna. Just things getting worse and worse. It looks like the next episode could be the breaking point between Yuji and Shana.

One more thing, I felt a little sad when Magarey left the two guys with the sword. That was definately an emotional moment. I'm pretty sure that they'll still be some use to her, but with 3 episodes left, I'm not sure.

Man, this anime is surely getting interesting really fast.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:38 AM   #13   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Ep 21

I was thinking it was yet another set-up episode.. and actually started getting restless watching this ep... but ----, I didn't expect that last scene.

The final battle seems to have finally started, but even so, Shana still suffers from the notorious anime disease which can be remedied by LEARNING PROPER COMMUNICATION AND JUST FRIGGIN' SPEAKING YOUR MIND... *ahem* sorry. It's one of the many pet peeves I've developed from watching anime.

Anyway, that aside, what happens next? Ack, I would've been fine if it wasn't for the last three minutes.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:11 AM   #14   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Yeah, Shana really started to ---- me off! Damn, Yuji was right in front of her and she acted like a stumbling idiot with her words!!! Jesus christ....Then to watch her jump in front of the spear to protect Yuji....But now that I think about it, she has been sheltered and possibly doesn't know what "love" means which she's experiencing now without her awareness. Talk about bad timing though. Well, with the Ballse Masque in the city, now no one is going anywhere. Only 3 more episodes to go. I'm anxious to see how things are going to get wrapped up here.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:28 AM   #15   [permalink]
Ado
Forum Junkie

Send a message via MSN to Ado
Originally Posted by ACE2001
Yeah, Shana really started to ---- me off! Damn, Yuji was right in front of her and she acted like a stumbling idiot with her words!!! Jesus christ...
Her actions throughout the series have said more than words could have. Bear in mind that these are 14(not sure) year olds. Saying "I like you" is still a big deal at that age, especially in anime.