Old 09-04-2006, 06:17 AM   #1   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Nana - series thread

Well the Nana anime series has started and the first episode is readily available fansubbed. This is one of the many upcoming new series I'm planning on watching.

I haven't read the manga or watched the live action (I plan to do so when the Hong Kong retail gets released, then I can go out and rent it) so I'm not too sure where this series is going to head though. I've read Paradise Kiss manga though so I had sort of an idea what to expect and I quite enjoyed the first episode. Great animation and character design, quite digged the start with a rocking Nana on stage. Should be a good series.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:13 AM   #2   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Umm...well...yeah. I finshed watching the first episode. Is it just me or was there just too many coincidences? They have the same name, on the same train, both going to Tokyo, both sat by each other, share the same apartment (707 which NANA means 7 Japanese). Makes me wonder if they're long lost sisters or something. Aside from the weirdness of it all, this episode was good. It definately has mature and artistic feel to it. Reminds me a little bit of Paradise Kiss.

I know that NANA has a HUGE following and has garnered a lot of buzz. From the reviews and info that I've read, A LOT people are hailing this as the "best thing since sliced bread." No real exaggeration as alot of people have been looking forward to this anime. I also haven't seen the movie nor read the manga, so I'm definately going to keep watching to see what makes this anime so special and accepted among many anime fans.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:43 AM   #3   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Convenient coincidences? Sure. Or...
Fateful encounter? Sure.

It can be seen from either perspective and can change the way things are viewed. Hopefully, one will accept the latter or else it will degrade any enjoyment of this series.

With that aside, WOO-HAH!

The second of my anticipated April animes. It was on par with the how the manga played out (going by my limited memory) and had the same mood too. I can't complain there. This should be a fun ride.

Btw, that ending song is tight.
Old 16-04-2006, 07:08 PM   #4   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

I watched episode 2. Man, Nana Komatsu is a real......I don't want to say it. Really that girl went through so many men, plus the fact that she had sex with a 29 year old married man!?! Jesus. So far, I really see no depth from her other than the fact that she's a love sick puppy or horny girl. I wish they would've shown the other Nana's story first.

Oh well, I guess I'll watch the next episode and see what happens. Actually, I found the translated volumes of NANA vol. 1-11 so I may end up reading that.
Old 20-04-2006, 10:28 PM   #5   [permalink]
Spike 558
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Spike 558 Send a message via MSN to Spike 558 Send a message via Yahoo to Spike 558
Well I was reluctant to watch this but, after being forced into seeing, the first ep., I must admit I found myself enjoying it. Special mention must be made of the stunning animation quality

Problem was, as I watched it, I kept having that Loudon Wainwright III song "I wish I was a lesbian" running through my head.......
If one of my cartoons has brought joy and laughter to just one person, if I have been able to make just one person simply smile and forget their troubles for only a moment, then that cartoon, clearly, was not worth drawing
- The Complete Far Side
Spike 558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2006, 12:12 AM   #6   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Originally Posted by ACE2001
So far, I really see no depth from her other than the fact that she's a love sick puppy or horny girl. I wish they would've shown the other Nana's story first.
Yeah I really don't care for Nana Komatsu's character. But I'm glad the next episode (episode four) will be focusing on the other Nana.

Oh I can't stress how awesome the opening theme is.
Old 23-04-2006, 10:39 AM   #7   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Watched episode 3. Sigh....man that Nana (Komatsu) is so oblivious sometimes it's very hard to watch. But she did manage to show a little bit a depth towards the end when she met with Asano. I was surprised actually. With that said, I'm glad that we're moving along to Nana (Osaki) as she definately is the more interesting out of the two. They should've gave her a anime series on her own!!

The animation this episode was simply gorgeous and breathtaking. Especially when Nana was crying after Shouji left. Simply a beautiful look. Even better than Paradise Kiss. I also love the OP and ED themes. Very easy to listen to. Well, I'm going to hold off on reading the manga for now as I'm interested in Nana (Osaki) story.
Old 30-04-2006, 08:43 AM   #8   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Yeah!!! I watched episode 4 a couple of minutes ago. Without a doubt, Nana Oosaki is definately the more interesting Nana. She just has a really cool aura about her. I was definately hooked into her part of the story. The animation or "noitamina" continues to look beautiful, the best I've seen in along time. This was easily the best episode out of the series so far!!

P.S. Get this, the Japanese release date for the first DVD is.. July 7!! (77)
Old 14-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #9   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Finished episode 5....man, this anime is just getting better and better with each episode, especially since the story shifted to Nana (Osaki) side. I think Osaki is the most unique and interesting characters that I've come across in awhile. She is so cool that it's unreal at times. And the way that she describes her relationship with Ren was real deep. You could just feel her emotion. Sort of reminds me a little of Spike from Cowboy Bebop. That laid back approach at life. To tell you the truth, I wish I had a woman like that.

With that said, next episode looks to come full-circle as we finally get a chance to see how Komatsu and Osaki are going to live together. This should be interesting enough in itself.
Old 17-05-2006, 07:07 AM   #10   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Originally Posted by ACE2001
P.S. Get this, the Japanese release date for the first DVD is.. July 7!! (77)
Ditto with both the opening and ending singles, sure 77 is quite a cute idea but ugh waiting under two months for the singles are going to be a pain, I want them now! Alas the TV size ones must suffice for now.

Blegh episode 6 was just pretty much a recap of episode 1.
Old 23-05-2006, 02:53 AM   #11   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Just finished episode 7. Finally,some story progress, but not too much. I only have one word to describe Nana (Komatsu)..clueless! Well, actually I have more, crybaby, spoiled, and selfish. She hasn't really hasn't done anything significant on this anime yet. Hopefully this won't be a continuing trend...

Now that everyone has met each other (Nana Komatsu invited her friends to her place to see Nana Osaki) things could get quite messy. Especially the way that the guys were in total awe of Nana Osaki!

I don't know, I like this anime, but I haven't seen anything "ground-breaking" or something that has gotten me completely hooked. I think that the best is yet to come.
Old 24-05-2006, 01:04 AM   #12   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

I reckon so far episode seven is my favourite, it was light hearted funny stuff, very easy to enjoy. I'm sure those sort of episodes won't be around much longer as the series continues ... angsty romance ensues!

SPOILERS AHOY!

Ahh isn't Sachiko also the name of the girl that Shouji ends up with, the one who works as a waitress at the same place he does? I can't remember if it was from the live action movie or not.
Old 26-05-2006, 05:32 PM   #13   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
So, is this series hentai, borderline, or???
Old 26-05-2006, 07:29 PM   #14   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

There's sex scenes they're short and are just made up of facial expressions and some skin. Nothing bad really.
Old 13-08-2006, 02:29 AM   #15   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Are you still watching this orochi X? I've fallen a bit behind myself. I dropped the anime over the manga as I've already have all 15 volumes of it although I haven't actually read much yet. Has the anime gotten any better?