Old 30-05-2006, 04:44 PM   #1   [permalink]
7thKeeper
Forum Elite

Send a message via ICQ to 7thKeeper Send a message via AIM to 7thKeeper Send a message via Yahoo to 7thKeeper
KIBA - TV Animation Series

As I didn't see a KIBA thread anywhere around, figured that one needed to be made.

Anyone else following this series currently? It started running on japanese tv this spring and is up to episode 9 so far.

I'll post a quote of the opening post from animesuki as it sums up things fairly well.

Quote:
New shounen show airing in April, Kiba is produced by Madhouse (Gunslinger Girl, Trinity Blood) and Aniplex (Kamichu) directed by Hiroshi Koujina (Grenadier). Character design is by Takahiro Yoshimatsu (Jubei Chan) and the conceptual design is by online artist Teikoku Shounen, art direction by Hidetoshi Kaneko (My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service and who is also the art director for the up coming Black Lagoon).

Cast includes Hiroyuki Yoshino (Blood+'s Kai) as 'Zed' (or is it 'Zedd'?) and the excellent Nana Mizuki (Fate Testarossa from Nanoha, Wrath from FMA) as Roia. Kikuko Inoue (who's been in everything, mostly recently she played Carmen99 in GunxSword) plays Sarah. 17-year-old Nami Tamaki (GSD ED #1) is providing the OP. (I'm a bit miffed Nana Mizuki isn't doing this!).

Official site is http://www.ki-ba.com/ and here's the recently aired commercial on youtube.com.

Here's the blurb from Animenfo:

Quote:
Zedd is a 15-year-old boy who lives in Calm. He is frustrated by daily life, and he's seeking for the place to try his possibilities.

One day, a mysterious wind invites him to a time-space crevasse. He dives into the crevasse seeking for the answer that might be there.

Where he lands is another world. There, "Shard Casters" have been fighting against each other endlessly using “Shards”, which is a crystal of magical power. With the power of Shards, the Shard Caster uses magic and monsters called "Spirit".

Fascinated by the power, Zedd wants to be a Shard Caster. However, he doesn't know that a big Spirit, "Amil Gaul", lies in his body, and that its power is so large as to influence the future of this world…

Basicly it's a shounen series about a boy named Zed who lives in a land called Calm. Zed is a trouble-maker with a (what I'd call a fetish or an obsession) of breaking doors, feeling as if he can somehow escape the land he has to call his home. In a turn of events, Zed runs through a portal opened by a strange being called Amil Gaul, his spirit.

Despite the rather... stereotypical and cliche setting as it sounds (and the card game tie in), this series so far has suprised me because it's just so damn good. Annoyed with drawn out fights? Pleasantly absent. Drawn out plot? None of that, the plot has been kept moving at a good pace that keeps you on the edge and wanting to see more. That's basicly the best part of the series so far. What other shows would drag over 3-4 episodes, KIBA does in 1 and that's not in a bad way. The story just keeps staying interesting. Concidering that the series is supposed to be 52 episodes in total, I wonder if they'll be able to keep it as interesting the whole way. If they can... my god I have a new favourite series.

The story is quite serious, so when it comes to shounen series, KIBA is closer to Full Metal Alchemist than let's say Bleach or Naruto.

Also I'll give props to the series for being the first one in ages for having a plot twist that I hadn't even thought of and suprising me, even though it clicked together so perfectly afterwards.

Here are the opening and ending of the series on youtube.

KIBA ED

KIBA OP
7thKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2006, 09:44 PM   #2   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

I have to admit the story is very nice and as you said the plot twist was completely unexpected.

My only problem with this anime is the hero.I hate characters who ignore the rules and do whatever the hell they want and it's ok in the end because they save the world a few times.Zedd is even worse,thinking only about himself.I hope they make him mature quickly through his adventures
Old 31-05-2006, 04:14 PM   #3   [permalink]
7thKeeper
Forum Elite

Send a message via ICQ to 7thKeeper Send a message via AIM to 7thKeeper Send a message via Yahoo to 7thKeeper
Originally Posted by Darklightz
I have to admit the story is very nice and as you said the plot twist was completely unexpected.

My only problem with this anime is the hero.I hate characters who ignore the rules and do whatever the hell they want and it's ok in the end because they save the world a few times.Zedd is even worse,thinking only about himself.I hope they make him mature quickly through his adventures
True. That's part of the reason why I prefer Noah, though part of it was that the two episodes concentrating on him were so good. I'm still wondering what exactly, or rather how exactly Noah managed to do what he did after he snapped. He doesn't have any of the marks that Shard Casters have anywhere visible on his body, so he most likely doesn't have a spirit and still...
7thKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:22 PM   #4   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
When I watch Zed in action, he reminds me of another person that looks and acts the same way....Vegeta from Dragonball Z!
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote