Old 01-07-2006, 03:23 PM   #1   [permalink]
Voltaire

An anime WITHOUT Robots, Magic, chibis, blood, sweatdrops, nose bleeds ....

Ok, so im so damn sick of the normal anime formula of..
insanity + Robots + magic + blood + chibis + nosebleeds + vein marks and sweatdrops = EXCELLENT!

I mean ok, one of these is alright, but all of them!
i just cant take it,..
I recently picked up fate stay night, and just cant get excited in it despite all the fanfare out there because of this very reason...
as it basically has all of the above crammed into it...

Perhaps ive just grown out of what anime is today, But hell im still here searching in vane for an anime with a story that is not set in crazy land, or on blood island.

what i really want is the anime equivelant of the show lost,
a drama with mystery and alot of human interaction to drive the story...

Is it just me ?
does anyone else crave something new besides the same old boring formula?
and has anyone found anything close to what im looking for?

I thought Id found an anime like what im looking for with the show beck but i dont feel im quite there yet..
any sugestions?
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:51 PM   #2   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

Cowboy Bebop lacks those things for the most part...there may be a vein pop or sweat drop from time to time but i can't think of any instances offhand.

I also believe that Key the Metal Idol, Kino's Journey, the Twelve Kingdoms and Record of Lodoss War OVA also lack those elements...though I guess there is some magic in Twelve Kingdoms and Lodoss War but it's forgiveable as they're both high fantasy series with dragons and the like. I guess Key is also a robot, as well...but they're all good series and are primarily dramas with strong characters.

Last edited by Hiigaran; 01-07-2006 at 10:52 PM.
Hiigaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:29 PM   #3   [permalink]
Nokari
Forum Master

Don't forget Monster
Old 03-07-2006, 05:17 PM   #4   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Originally Posted by Hiigaran
Kino's Journey, the Twelve Kingdoms
I'd definitely recommend both of those. Especially Kino's Journey, if you're looking for something completely different. Actually, especially Twelve Kingdoms too, which has some of the most believable character interaction as well as the best character development in any anime I've seen. There is magic in TK, but it is a fantasy series, so what do you expect?

Also, try:

Fantastic Children. I've only seen the first volume so far, but just that little bit is so bloody fantastic that I'll recommend it right now.

Gankutsuou. Not a chibi face in sight. This series has awesome characterization and a brilliant plot. It takes awhile to get used to the animation style, which is absolutely gorgeous in my opinion, but very different.

Otogi Zoshi. A frequently overlooked anime that definitely deserves more attention. Again, I haven't seen all of it, but what I have seen is awesome.

Berserk. Alright, so it's got blood and magic in it, but if you haven't seen this yet, you need to. The characters are some of the most memorable you'll ever find, and the magic doesn't show up until the very end.

Le Portrait de Petite Cossette. This is a visual treat, because the animation is outstanding. But the mystery of the love story behind it only adds to it. I guess it does have magical elements, though.

All of these series are what I'd call "serious" anime, which means that they've got the trifecta of intriguing plots steeped in mystery, intelligent events and dialogue, and engaging and memorable characters that develop as the stories progress. There're more where these came from, voltaire, it's just that they're hard to find sometimes.

Last edited by dheu; 03-07-2006 at 05:23 PM.
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:58 PM   #5   [permalink]
eddiefb3

The Otomo movie Steamboy has none of that...unless you want to count the giant steam castle that prounces around wreaking havoc. But it is pretty much the same as a live action moviem except they're animated. Kino's journey is good too.

"With a Keen Eye for Details Only
One Truth Prevails!"
Jimmy Kudo

"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Sherlock Holmes

Similar meanings
eddiefb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:01 PM   #6   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

How about...

Princess 9

Niea under7

Hunter X Hunter?
Old 05-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #7   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Niea Under 7 & Hunter X Hunter are both fairly typical anime. Especially Hunter X Hunter. Cmon, the entire Treasure Island arc would qualify under 'Magic' bigtime. And NU7 has UFOs crashing through the roof. I think that comes under 'insanity'.

I also recommend 'Twelve Kingdoms' as it was a beautiful anime.

I cannot recommend 'Lost' as a basis for ANYTHING. Cmon man. As an anime fan you should know better. Lost is actually really annoying. Its junk mystery mixed in with a 'believable' world so as to keep everyone confused. Plus I really dont think people should judge something before its completion.

Beck was definately good. I think one of the main problems with what you're asking for, is that basically everything you listed is something anime can thrive on. Drama does not require a scenic imagination, nor animation. There will always be a use of anime's benefits (e.g. unlimited blood, comic effect, super powers).
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:51 PM   #8   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Niea Under 7 & Hunter X Hunter are both fairly typical anime. Especially Hunter X Hunter. Cmon, the entire Treasure Island arc would qualify under 'Magic' bigtime. And NU7 has UFOs crashing through the roof. I think that comes under 'insanity'.

I also recommend 'Twelve Kingdoms' as it was a beautiful anime.

I cannot recommend 'Lost' as a basis for ANYTHING. Cmon man. As an anime fan you should know better. Lost is actually really annoying. Its junk mystery mixed in with a 'believable' world so as to keep everyone confused. Plus I really dont think people should judge something before its completion.

Beck was definately good. I think one of the main problems with what you're asking for, is that basically everything you listed is something anime can thrive on. Drama does not require a scenic imagination, nor animation. There will always be a use of anime's benefits (e.g. unlimited blood, comic effect, super powers).
... true that, and I agree with the notion that there are very few if any anime that would fit the entire criteria in totality.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:44 AM   #9   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
'Last Exile' is a good one I recently finished. Its kind of a mix of old with sci fi. It could just as easily have been slightly modified to be set in the 1920s. I thought it was quite pretty.
Did I mention 'Grave of the Fireflies'?

Crap, I should bust open my drama collection. 'Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien' might be another good one, if you're into heavy drama. I think its based on one of those dating games or something though, just a warning. "Aisheritsu ze Baby" or something like that (Im sure Sam can correct my spelling) is another nice drama.

Maria Sama Go Miteru was popular for a while. Personally I thought it was kinda plain and only popular for the implied lesbianism, but I think its fits with your description.

Gasaraki has magic, but its not too heavy. It was actually really interesting to watch it in 2003 during the Iraq war controversy.

Rurouni Kenshin OVA (aka Samurai X) may have too much blood, but again quite nice.

If you have patience and are interested in 'ideas' based anime you can look into Patlabor. It has mecha, but they play a really tiny role. In fact, their role iirc is probably a realistic interpretation of how they'd be used (ie rarely and only with specific objectives in mind).

But yeh, something like Lost is easier to do with humans than anime. If you're going to spend days drawing, colouring and animating just a few minutes of footage, you dont really want it to just be about a bunch of people walking around talking with a few brief glimpses here and there of something better. Whereas for live action, that works fine because you wanna keep your special effects budget low.

I'll try to think of some more though.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:34 AM   #10   [permalink]
I'm not a doll
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to I'm not a doll Send a message via AIM to I'm not a doll Send a message via MSN to I'm not a doll Send a message via Yahoo to I'm not a doll
I dont remember any of those things in Inital D,, it's a car anime
I'm not a doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:36 AM   #11   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to MrBS
The only anime I could think that actually fits that desciption is 'Human Crossing' I specifically imported the first DVD for this reason as I too would have liked to of found a series without any 'fantastic' elements whatsoever. A normal series about normal people and their normal lives....

....couldn't get past the second episode.

A really bad show that is the anime equivelant of an after school special. Hokey, melodramtic and so overbearing with its message that its really quite painful to watch.

If you can handle a show with 'some' of those elements as apposed to none of them than I would definately recommend Kino's Journeys yet again.

I've got the first two volumes of Fantastic Children myself but that one is a little too 'tantastic' to qualify.. great show though! Plays far more into the mystery than the fantastic. Great stuff.

Gankutsuou is quickly becoming one of my favourite shows of all time but its setting is off the planet!

There are some very well done anime that 'play it straight' as it were but have fantastic elements. FC and Kankutsuou are a couple of great ones in progress right now.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:09 AM   #12   [permalink]
RiPPa
Executive Member

Witch Hunter Robin almost fits the bill, except for what you might call magic or supernatural themes even, this fact rolls off into obscurity compared to the strong set of characters, a modern almost postmodern backdrop later on and yeah, story, so if you haven't seen it yet then check it out, its a very decent piece overall.
RiPPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:50 AM   #13   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Shura no toki
Grave of the fireflies
Serial experiment Lain
Jin Roh
Crimson pig(if you just think of the main char as human)
Zipang
Lupin III

Most animes have exaggerated expression like popping veins and sweetdrops, but that is just one those things that conveys the emotions of the artist/storyteller.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:46 AM   #14   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

Man, I loved Porco Rosso until the ending.
Old 13-07-2006, 02:16 AM   #15   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Shinobi X Send a message via MSN to Shinobi X
Originally Posted by Takahashi
Shura no toki
Grave of the fireflies
Serial experiment Lain
Jin Roh
Crimson pig(if you just think of the main char as human)
Zipang
Lupin III

Most animes have exaggerated expression like popping veins and sweetdrops, but that is just one those things that conveys the emotions of the artist/storyteller.
Shura no Toki doesn't have anything like that??? That's really...interesting....
Shinobi X is offline   Reply With Quote