Old 29-08-2006, 01:49 AM   #1   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

Just because I'm Bored: Anime Quiz; 'test your otaku-ness'

Just because I'm bored, I made up this test. See if you can answer the questions without looking them up; they are sort of random and sometimes can only be answered if you've seen a LOT of Anime, and a wide range of anime at that. Some are multiple choice, some are not; some deal with multiple series familiarity, some deal with specific series (those will be the difficult ones since it would rely on you seeing that particular series).

This phase 1 I guess; might post more if I feel like it. Answers to come later.

Multiple Choice:

1)Which of the following is NOT the name of an organization, group, team, cult, army, military, secret society, etc that is in an Anime/Manga?

A) Nerv
B) Section 9
C) Ashuram
D) Mythril
E) Wraith
F) Cure
G) Obstinate Arrows
H) CP9
I) G.O.T.T

2) Which of the following was NOT an adaptation of a prose novel or series of light novels?

A) Seikai no Senki (Crest/Banner of the Stars series)
B) Sorcererous Stabber Orphen
C) Vampire Hunter D
D) Ghost in the Shell
E) Record of Lodoss War
F) Scrapped Princess
G) Shakugan no Shana
H) Slayers
I) Twelve Kingdoms
J) Full Metal Panic

3) Aside from alternate universe crossovers like Tsubasa, there have been few scenarios where two anime/manga series or their characters/properties have crossed over. Which of the following crossovers actually happened in some form (whether it be animation, short animation special, manga, novel) but NOT including Fan Fics.

A) Dragonball Z/OnePiece Crossover and a Slayers/Orphen Crossover
B) InuYasha/Ranma 1/2 Crossover and a Negima/Maburaho Crossover
C) Crest of the Stars/Super Dimensional Fortress Macross Crossover and a Nadesico/Irresponsible Captain Tylor Crossover
D) Yu Yu Hakusho/Flame of Recca Crossover and a Bleach/Naruto Crossover
E) Tenchi Muyo/El Hazard Crossover and a Vampire Hunter D/Hellsing Crossover

Random Questions (no Multiple Choice)

1) The Anime Record of Lodoss War takes place on a fantasy world called Forceria/Folcelia. Other anime series which take place on the same world, but during different times and continents include "Legend of Crystania" and what other series?

2) What anime in a long running franchise named most of its characters after numbers (1,2,3, etc)? Bonus: What Anime series named most of its characters, cities, and organizations after real-life people, companies, and terminology associated with Fire-Arms?

3) What was the first animated film that Hayao Miyazaki worked on as Chief Animator, concept artist, and scene designer?

4) In what Anime/Manga do you contact Heavenly beings by dialing the wrong number?

5) Name the Three Types of Ki in Yu Yu Hakusho

6) Name an Anime Character that has great power, but lives by a code that he/she shall never kill; however, he/she did take a life after making this code.

7) What does Mazoku mean and refer to?

8) Who says "Fumoffu!"?

9) Which Anime series had an episode entitled "This Bloody Earth," in which a mobile fortress and its soldiers storm a village to kill or capture innocents and potential resistance-movement figures. The series is 13 episodes and is directed by a man who was previously known for directing series of a much more lighthearted nature. [This question is worth 100 Otaku points]

10) Which anime series featured an episode that was an homage to Wim Wenders' Der Himmel über Berlin. [Also 100 Otaku points]

Robotech Master
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2006, 05:49 AM   #2   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
3. B
4. Oh My Goddess!
6. Vash (Trigun)
7. Monsters race in Slayers (I think)
8. Sagara Sousuke in his Bonta get up (FMP Fumoffu)

And yeah that's it from me ...
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2006, 10:01 AM   #3   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

1 : Chronicle of the Heroic Knight
2 : Gundam Wing
4 : Oh My Goddess!
6 : Vash
7 : Demon/Monster race in Slayers
8 : Although the "expected" answer is Sagara Sousuke,I also want to note that Koizumi in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya also yells out "Fumoffu!" before throwing an energy ball in episode 7
Old 29-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #4   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

Ah, should clarify about the Chronicles thing; I meant Record of Lodoss War as a whole, including the TV series and OVA, especially since the TV series is supposed to ignore portions of the OVA and replace it. There is a another series which takes place in the same world and was written by Lodoss' author.

Robotech Master
Old 29-08-2006, 09:52 PM   #5   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Mecha454
1. Mithril is spelled wrong....

2. FMP!

2) .hack??

3) The Castle of Cagliostro

6) Manabu/Galaxy Railways. Hiruma Kenshin

8) SOSUKE!

9) (The only one who knows this...) Now and Then, Here and There (awesome)

-Sosuke Sagara

"We have begun third impact!"

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Mecha454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2006, 03:55 AM   #6   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

No other takers eh? Well here are the answers anyway:

1)Which of the following is NOT the name of an organization, group, team, cult, army, military, secret society, etc that is in an Anime/Manga?

A) Nerv
B) Section 9
C) Ashuram
D) Mythril
E) Wraith
F) Cure
G) Obstinate Arrows
H) CP9
I) G.O.T.T

Answer: E: Wraith. I apologize for the apparent mispelling of Mithril; I really did think it had a Y in there. Nerv is one of the organizations in Evangelion. Section 9 is the counter-terrorist group of Ghost in the Shell. Ashuram is the organization that controls most of the psychics in E's Otherwise. Mithril is from Full Metal Panic; Cure is from "I Wish You Were Here"; Obstinate Arrows is an elite fighting force in Scrapped Princess; CP9 are the secret warriors of the Cipher Pol in One Piece; G.O.T.T is the Galactic organization of Trade and Tariffs in Kiddy Grade.

2) Which of the following was NOT an adaptation of a prose novel or series of light novels?

A) Seikai no Senki (Crest/Banner of the Stars series)
B) Sorcererous Stabber Orphen
C) Vampire Hunter D
D) Ghost in the Shell
E) Record of Lodoss War
F) Scrapped Princess
G) Shakugan no Shana
H) Slayers
I) Twelve Kingdoms
J) Full Metal Panic

Answer: D; Ghost in the Shell. It was based on Masamune's Manga, but all Prose Novels related to the Ghost in the Shell Franchise came later. All of the others, including Orphen and Shakugan no Shana, were based on novels. Although the Fumoffu! season was not based on any novels, both Full Metal Panic and its spiritual sequel Full Metal Panic the Second Raid are based on novels of the same name (Second Raid's novel actual title is something like "Longest Day by Day" or something like that). Worth nothing that some of the stuff in Fumoffu was based on short stories written for the Full Metal Panic characters.

3) Aside from alternate universe crossovers like Tsubasa, there have been few scenarios where two anime/manga series or their characters/properties have crossed over. Which of the following crossovers actually happened in some form (whether it be animation, short animation special, manga, novel) but NOT including Fan Fics.

A) Dragonball Z/OnePiece Crossover and a Slayers/Orphen Crossover
B) InuYasha/Ranma 1/2 Crossover and a Negima/Maburaho Crossover
C) Crest of the Stars/Super Dimensional Fortress Macross Crossover and a Nadesico/Irresponsible Captain Tylor Crossover
D) Yu Yu Hakusho/Flame of Recca Crossover and a Bleach/Naruto Crossover
E) Tenchi Muyo/El Hazard Crossover and a Vampire Hunter D/Hellsing Crossover

Answer: A; A special short Animation was shown in Japan in which Son Goku of Dragonball Z joins forces with Luffy D. Monkey to stop the One Piece Villain Enel/Eneru from destroying a city. A light novel was also released in which Lina and co. of Slayers met Orphen and Co. of Sorcerous stabber Orphen.

Random Questions Answers:

1) The Anime Record of Lodoss War takes place on a fantasy world called Forceria/Folcelia. Other anime series which take place on the same world, but during different times and continents include "Legend of Crystania" and what other series?

Answer: Louie the Rune Soldier, also known in the states as simply "Rune Soldier." The series takes place on the northern Continent of Alecrast.

2) What anime in a long running franchise named most of its characters after numbers (1,2,3, etc)? Bonus: What Anime series named most of its characters, cities, and organizations after real-life people, companies, and terminology associated with Fire-Arms?

Answer: The anime which named its characters after numbers was Gundam Wing; Duo = 2, Zechs = 6, Noin = 9, etc.
Bonus Answer: The Anime which named its characters after firearm related things was Scrapped Princess; Winia Chester = Winchester Rifle, The Casull Family, etc.

3) What was the first animated film that Hayao Miyazaki worked on as Chief Animator, concept artist, and scene designer?

Answer: The 1968 Animated film Hols: Prince of the Son, which was directed by Isao Takahata. Castle of Cagliostro was the first film Miyazaki *directed,* but not the first film where he served as Chief Animator and Concept Artist.

4) In what Anime/Manga do you contact Heavenly beings by dialing the wrong number?

Answer: Ah! My Goddess

5) Name the Three Types of Ki in Yu Yu Hakusho

Answer: Reiki, which is used by all Humans; Youki, which is used by all Youkai; and Sei Kou Ki, mastered only by Shinobu Sensui and later 'discovered' or 'awakened' within Yusuke Urameshi.

6) Name an Anime Character that has great power, but lives by a code that he/she shall never kill; however, he/she did take a life after making this code.

Answer: Several of these characters I'm sure; easiest one to name for me would be Vash the Stampede.

7) What does Mazoku mean and refer to?

Answer: Most people will probably be most familiar with their presence in the Slayers anime/manga/novels, but the word technically means Evil/Demon (Ma) Race (Zoku), and refers to residents of Makai, the Japanese iteration of the World of Spirits or Hell.

8) Who says "Fumoffu!"?

Answer: Bonta-kun! It later became used by Sousuke Sagara in his Militarized Bonta-Kun unit, as well as his squad of Bonta-Kun Soldiers later on in the series, and by a character in the Melancholy of Harumi Suzumiya.

9) Which Anime series had an episode entitled "This Bloody Earth," in which a mobile fortress and its soldiers storm a village to kill or capture innocents and potential resistance-movement figures. The series is 13 episodes and is directed by a man who was previously known for directing series of a much more lighthearted nature. [This question is worth 100 Otaku points]

Answer: Congrats Mecha454, it is indeed "Now and Then, Here and There," directed by Akitaroh Daichi.

10) Which anime series featured an episode that was an homage to Wim Wenders' Der Himmel über Berlin. [Also 100 Otaku points]

Answer: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig-- Episode 18: "(Angel's Poem) TRANS PARENT."

Robotech Master

Last edited by Robotech Master; 30-08-2006 at 03:58 AM.
Old 30-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #7   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie

YAY! I knew that one. But wasn't the full metal panic! anime released before the manga??

-Sosuke Sagara

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Old 30-08-2006, 06:56 PM   #8   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

You're making the common mistake of mixing Manga and *novel*. There are 8 Books in the Full Metal Panic book series published by Fujimi Fantasia Bunko, all of which have the more serious content. Meanwhile, short stories continue to be published in Monthly Dragon Magazine, and are the primary source of the comedic aspect of the series which inspired the Fumoffu stories. Oh, and I looked the title up; Second Raid was based on the novel "Full Metal Panic! End of Day By Day."

Robotech Master
Old 30-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #9   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie

Thanks! I guess I was wrong...

-Sosuke Sagara

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Old 11-09-2006, 10:01 PM   #10   [permalink]
Kaneda

*bows to robotech master*

wherever you lead i shall follow.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:07 PM   #11   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie

Good job! As long as you nOOBs follow the older guys nothing can go wrong.

-Sosuke Sagara

My very own nOOB= Kaneda