Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 25-09-2006, 09:28 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie
 
MeMyself's Avatar
 
Join Date: 4 Jun 2006
Posts: 848
Gunslinger Girl

I rented the first disc, the first five episodes, and all I can say is WOW! This is the darkest, most disturbing anime I have ever seen. Adolescent girls, ill and abandoned, are taken in by the Social Welfare Agency. Their bodies are altered, and they are trained to be assassins. They just don’t go after the bad guys either. In one episode, the target was an elected member of parliament who was a member of the opposition. The girls are all loyal to their handlers, or “brothers.”

The main character is Henrietta. She alone survived a night of violence in which her family was killed and she was “assaulted.” Now a hardened killer with no conscience, Henrietta often finds it hard to maintain control. Yet she strongly desires the affection of her “brother” Jose, and against all rules and advice, Jose feels affection for Henrietta, even though he knows that the augmentation and training dooms her and the other girls to an early death.

The first five episodes do little to advance the story. Each episode serves to introduce us to one of the girls.

This is a disturbing series, but fascinating. I will give my final review after I rent discs 2 and 3.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 10:05 PM   #2   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie
 
Shinobi X's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 May 2005
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 615
Send a message via AIM to Shinobi X Send a message via MSN to Shinobi X
I've seen all 3 of them already...as a matter of fact, I have the whole set. And I agree with you. It's one of the most darkest and most disturbing anime I've seen. Good anime though but not enough violence or actions for those who like action anime like Naruto.
Shinobi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 09:42 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie
 
MeMyself's Avatar
 
Join Date: 4 Jun 2006
Posts: 848
I just watched disc 2, which contains episodes 6-9. Episodes 6 and 7 were a bit of a let down. We learn about another one of the girls in episode 8. Episode 9 is interesting, and may be setting up the rest of the storyline. They had better hurry. There's only one disc left to develop the series' plot.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 09:55 PM   #4   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie
 
Mecha454's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29 Jul 2006
Location: NOT in africa...
Posts: 647
Send a message via AIM to Mecha454
Gunslinger Girl is a dark but amazing anime, up through eps. 11.
__________________
...did you know they can hold a liter of water?!?

-Sosuke Sagara

"We have begun third impact!"

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Mecha454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 05:26 AM   #5   [permalink]
DraniX
Forum Master
 
DraniX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 20 Apr 2001
Location: Destromath
Posts: 2,872
And you were a prospective member. Up to post 1. Buzzzz-zing.
__________________
"It has testicles, you know."
"It could scarcely do without them."
"And what I can only describe as a very small vagina."
"Disgusting."
DraniX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 09:26 PM   #6   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie
 
MeMyself's Avatar
 
Join Date: 4 Jun 2006
Posts: 848
I reviewed episode 6 before I returned the disc to Netflix. I want to change what I said about it being a let-down. It actually is important to more clearly establish the relationship between Henrietta and Jose. Still, I would like to see a bit more intrapersonal conflict on the part of Henrietta. Maybe they will get to that in episode 10. I hope so. There is not much left to the series.

I felt that what the series needs is a bit of conflict between the girls. We got that in episode 9 with Else. I hope that continues.

Anyway, disc 3 should arrive on Friday. I will give my complete critique sometime over the weekend -- hopefully.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:45 PM   #7   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie
 
MeMyself's Avatar
 
Join Date: 4 Jun 2006
Posts: 848
I just finished watching the 3rd and final disc of Gunslinger Girl -- episodes 10-13. I was a bit upset at the ending, at first. I wanted there to be some resolution, but now that I think about it the ending certainly fit. There is no hope for these doomed little girls. It is a downer, yes. But the ending is effective.

I still think the show could have used a bit more intrapersonal conflicts. Henrietta shows signs of struggling to regain her humanity, but never follows through. I think the show could have gone on for 26 more episodes and explore this possiblity. (In the commentary on disc 3, they say there may be a second series in a few years. What do you think of that?)

I have to rent this one again in a few months.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:20 AM   #8   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie
 
Shinobi X's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 May 2005
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 615
Send a message via AIM to Shinobi X Send a message via MSN to Shinobi X
Originally Posted by MeMyself
I just finished watching the 3rd and final disc of Gunslinger Girl -- episodes 10-13. I was a bit upset at the ending, at first. I wanted there to be some resolution, but now that I think about it the ending certainly fit. There is no hope for these doomed little girls. It is a downer, yes. But the ending is effective.

I still think the show could have used a bit more intrapersonal conflicts. Henrietta shows signs of struggling to regain her humanity, but never follows through. I think the show could have gone on for 26 more episodes and explore this possiblity. (In the commentary on disc 3, they say there may be a second series in a few years. What do you think of that?)

I have to rent this one again in a few months.

I have to agree with you. I also don't think that this is the end of Gunslinger Girl yet.
Shinobi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:52 AM   #9   [permalink]
adralegre
Member
 
adralegre's Avatar
 
Join Date: 1 May 2005
Posts: 61
Originally Posted by Shinobi X
I also don't think that this is the end of Gunslinger Girl yet.
Yeah, they produced the anime way too soon after the manga, and the manga isn't finished yet either.
adralegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:33 PM   #10   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie
 
Mecha454's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29 Jul 2006
Location: NOT in africa...
Posts: 647
Send a message via AIM to Mecha454
I think the manga has been frozen, just like everything else in ADV manga.
__________________
...did you know they can hold a liter of water?!?

-Sosuke Sagara

"We have begun third impact!"

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Mecha454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:09 PM   #11   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master
 
EVA fiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 Dec 2000
Location: Somewhere in the UK...,
Posts: 6,288
Originally Posted by adralegre
Yeah, they produced the anime way too soon after the manga, and the manga isn't finished yet either.
The manga series is on volume 7 in Japan at the moment. Damn ADV.
__________________
And yet more bollocks..,

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P
EVA fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:59 PM   #12   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie
 
Mecha454's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29 Jul 2006
Location: NOT in africa...
Posts: 647
Send a message via AIM to Mecha454
It is on like what 3? here.
__________________
...did you know they can hold a liter of water?!?

-Sosuke Sagara

"We have begun third impact!"

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Mecha454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:51 PM   #13   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie
 
MeMyself's Avatar
 
Join Date: 4 Jun 2006
Posts: 848
The more and more I think about it, the more I feel that Gunslinger Girl had the perfect ending in not showing us the final resolution (although I still would have like the series to have gone on for 26 episodes and shown more intrapersonal conflict). We still know what will happen.

WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW!





Henrietta said it all when she mentioned that Anjelica's foretelling of her own death was also foretelling the death of the other girls. At the end, we see the girls happy, singing, and enjoying each other's company and the meteor shower. They do not know that Angelica has died, but we know that Angelica's fate will soon be their fate as well. Some may die on a mission, and some will just have their bodies worn down by their conditioning. But all of these girls are doomed. We do not need to see it actually happen, and by not seeing it the ending is made more powerful by the uncertainty of how it will all end. These girls have no future.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:43 AM   #14   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie
 
Shinobi X's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 May 2005
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 615
Send a message via AIM to Shinobi X Send a message via MSN to Shinobi X
Well that's true enough...but I would want to watch them die one by one...so maybe they should just make a movie to finish it off then...
Shinobi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:17 AM   #15   [permalink]
GLB_08
Member
 
Join Date: 25 May 2006
Location: California
Posts: 62
Originally Posted by MeMyself
The more and more I think about it, the more I feel that Gunslinger Girl had the perfect ending in not showing us the final resolution (although I still would have like the series to have gone on for 26 episodes and shown more intrapersonal conflict). We still know what will happen.

WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW!





Henrietta said it all when she mentioned that Anjelica's foretelling of her own death was also foretelling the death of the other girls. At the end, we see the girls happy, singing, and enjoying each other's company and the meteor shower. They do not know that Angelica has died, but we know that Angelica's fate will soon be their fate as well. Some may die on a mission, and some will just have their bodies worn down by their conditioning. But all of these girls are doomed. We do not need to see it actually happen, and by not seeing it the ending is made more powerful by the uncertainty of how it will all end. These girls have no future.
...Ouch, your reply made me sad... . I guess because it is true.
GLB_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LUMINA: The Eternal Vandread Open (Misc) RPG 2009 22-03-2006 12:07 PM
your top 3 'animated' music video's? dez1982 General Non-Anime Discussion Archive 2000-2003 23 31-03-2003 10:25 AM
Lil' Shinji VS the springboard Cetacious Anime Fan Fiction 2 06-01-2003 06:39 PM
Dragon Ball Fic: From Penguin Village With Love (Tale 2) RisanF Anime Fan Fiction 1 21-12-2002 08:16 PM
Dilandau should be a girl... *spoilers* Morbius Escaflowne 17 18-12-2001 10:20 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.