Old 25-09-2006, 09:28 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Gunslinger Girl

I rented the first disc, the first five episodes, and all I can say is WOW! This is the darkest, most disturbing anime I have ever seen. Adolescent girls, ill and abandoned, are taken in by the Social Welfare Agency. Their bodies are altered, and they are trained to be assassins. They just don’t go after the bad guys either. In one episode, the target was an elected member of parliament who was a member of the opposition. The girls are all loyal to their handlers, or “brothers.”

The main character is Henrietta. She alone survived a night of violence in which her family was killed and she was “assaulted.” Now a hardened killer with no conscience, Henrietta often finds it hard to maintain control. Yet she strongly desires the affection of her “brother” Jose, and against all rules and advice, Jose feels affection for Henrietta, even though he knows that the augmentation and training dooms her and the other girls to an early death.

The first five episodes do little to advance the story. Each episode serves to introduce us to one of the girls.

This is a disturbing series, but fascinating. I will give my final review after I rent discs 2 and 3.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 10:05 PM   #2   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Shinobi X Send a message via MSN to Shinobi X
I've seen all 3 of them already...as a matter of fact, I have the whole set. And I agree with you. It's one of the most darkest and most disturbing anime I've seen. Good anime though but not enough violence or actions for those who like action anime like Naruto.
Shinobi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 09:42 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I just watched disc 2, which contains episodes 6-9. Episodes 6 and 7 were a bit of a let down. We learn about another one of the girls in episode 8. Episode 9 is interesting, and may be setting up the rest of the storyline. They had better hurry. There's only one disc left to develop the series' plot.
Old 26-09-2006, 09:55 PM   #4   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Mecha454
Gunslinger Girl is a dark but amazing anime, up through eps. 11.

-Sosuke Sagara

"We have begun third impact!"

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Mecha454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 05:26 AM   #5   [permalink]
DraniX
Forum Master

And you were a prospective member. Up to post 1. Buzzzz-zing.
"Disgusting."
DraniX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 09:26 PM   #6   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I reviewed episode 6 before I returned the disc to Netflix. I want to change what I said about it being a let-down. It actually is important to more clearly establish the relationship between Henrietta and Jose. Still, I would like to see a bit more intrapersonal conflict on the part of Henrietta. Maybe they will get to that in episode 10. I hope so. There is not much left to the series.

I felt that what the series needs is a bit of conflict between the girls. We got that in episode 9 with Else. I hope that continues.

Anyway, disc 3 should arrive on Friday. I will give my complete critique sometime over the weekend -- hopefully.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:45 PM   #7   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I just finished watching the 3rd and final disc of Gunslinger Girl -- episodes 10-13. I was a bit upset at the ending, at first. I wanted there to be some resolution, but now that I think about it the ending certainly fit. There is no hope for these doomed little girls. It is a downer, yes. But the ending is effective.

I still think the show could have used a bit more intrapersonal conflicts. Henrietta shows signs of struggling to regain her humanity, but never follows through. I think the show could have gone on for 26 more episodes and explore this possiblity. (In the commentary on disc 3, they say there may be a second series in a few years. What do you think of that?)

I have to rent this one again in a few months.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:20 AM   #8   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by MeMyself
I just finished watching the 3rd and final disc of Gunslinger Girl -- episodes 10-13. I was a bit upset at the ending, at first. I wanted there to be some resolution, but now that I think about it the ending certainly fit. There is no hope for these doomed little girls. It is a downer, yes. But the ending is effective.

I still think the show could have used a bit more intrapersonal conflicts. Henrietta shows signs of struggling to regain her humanity, but never follows through. I think the show could have gone on for 26 more episodes and explore this possiblity. (In the commentary on disc 3, they say there may be a second series in a few years. What do you think of that?)

I have to rent this one again in a few months.

I have to agree with you. I also don't think that this is the end of Gunslinger Girl yet.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:52 AM   #9   [permalink]
adralegre

Originally Posted by Shinobi X
I also don't think that this is the end of Gunslinger Girl yet.
Yeah, they produced the anime way too soon after the manga, and the manga isn't finished yet either.
adralegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:33 PM   #10   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie

I think the manga has been frozen, just like everything else in ADV manga.

-Sosuke Sagara

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Old 04-10-2006, 02:09 PM   #11   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

Originally Posted by adralegre
Yeah, they produced the anime way too soon after the manga, and the manga isn't finished yet either.
The manga series is on volume 7 in Japan at the moment. Damn ADV.

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P
EVA fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:59 PM   #12   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie

It is on like what 3? here.

-Sosuke Sagara

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Old 05-10-2006, 05:51 PM   #13   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

The more and more I think about it, the more I feel that Gunslinger Girl had the perfect ending in not showing us the final resolution (although I still would have like the series to have gone on for 26 episodes and shown more intrapersonal conflict). We still know what will happen.

WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW!

Henrietta said it all when she mentioned that Anjelica's foretelling of her own death was also foretelling the death of the other girls. At the end, we see the girls happy, singing, and enjoying each other's company and the meteor shower. They do not know that Angelica has died, but we know that Angelica's fate will soon be their fate as well. Some may die on a mission, and some will just have their bodies worn down by their conditioning. But all of these girls are doomed. We do not need to see it actually happen, and by not seeing it the ending is made more powerful by the uncertainty of how it will all end. These girls have no future.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:43 AM   #14   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie

Well that's true enough...but I would want to watch them die one by one...so maybe they should just make a movie to finish it off then...
Old 06-10-2006, 07:17 AM   #15   [permalink]
GLB_08

Originally Posted by MeMyself
The more and more I think about it, the more I feel that Gunslinger Girl had the perfect ending in not showing us the final resolution (although I still would have like the series to have gone on for 26 episodes and shown more intrapersonal conflict). We still know what will happen.

WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW!

Henrietta said it all when she mentioned that Anjelica's foretelling of her own death was also foretelling the death of the other girls. At the end, we see the girls happy, singing, and enjoying each other's company and the meteor shower. They do not know that Angelica has died, but we know that Angelica's fate will soon be their fate as well. Some may die on a mission, and some will just have their bodies worn down by their conditioning. But all of these girls are doomed. We do not need to see it actually happen, and by not seeing it the ending is made more powerful by the uncertainty of how it will all end. These girls have no future.
...Ouch, your reply made me sad... . I guess because it is true.
GLB_08 is offline   Reply With Quote