Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Shinobi X Send a message via MSN to Shinobi X
that's because it is true. lol
Shinobi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:00 PM   #17   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by Shinobi X
Well that's true enough...but I would want to watch them die one by one...so maybe they should just make a movie to finish it off then...

But my point is that it is a much more powerful ending just knowing that each girl will die without knowing the details. It leaves you hanging, but the ending will stick with you longer. Heck, I'm still thinking about the ending!

Although if they were to continue, one plot would be what would happen if the conditioning began to wear off. Henrietta in one of the last episodes mentions remembering or dreaming about things that never happened -- maybe details from her former life. Angelica remembers her dog, although she forgets that Henrietta came to visit her just a few minutes before. It would be interesting if the girls begin to remember parts of their past. I would have rather that happened in the regular series. And I still would rather be left hanging knowing that the girls have no future, even without the details. As I said, it is a much more powerful ending.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:26 AM   #18   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

If they do make another anime series of Gunslinger Girl, it'll be interesting to see if/how they will adapt manga vols 4-7, though of course, they could just make it AU.

*WARNING MANGA SPOILERS BELOW!*

Angelica doesn't die. She slowly regains her health & ends up helping the other fratello teams out in the field, albeit in a support role as she is still weak when compared to the others.

Claes starts to regain more fleeting memories of Mr Raballo. Outwardly she shows no emotion (I think Jean suspects something though, as he uses(?) the movie 'A River Runs Through it' to see if Claes reacts to it), but she is slowly regaining snippets of her past with Raballo.

Henrietta seems to be growing even more attached to Guiseppe; it hasn't caused any major problems (yet).

Jean exhibits an ounce of kindness to Rico after a mission; both Jean & Guiseppe are haunted by memories of their murdered younger sister - Jean softens very slightly towards Rico after he has a 'visitation'.

Triela's & Hillshire's past is revealed, as is the termination of Franco & Franca (the two bombers), along with Pinocchio, a boy assassin who clashes with Triela (omitted from the anime series altogether) - the final duel between those two is awesome; I'd love to see that animated.

And two(?) more fratello teams are introduced, one of which looks way older than the current Gunslinger Girls, more like Gunslinger Teen.

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P
EVA fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:52 AM   #19   [permalink]
adralegre

Originally Posted by EVA fiend
And two more fratello teams are introduced, one of which looks way older than the current Gunslinger Girls, more like Gunslinger Teen.
These two new cyborgs are also more advanced and don't need as much conditioning (less conditioning = longer lifespan) since data about SWA is pre-loaded.

Perhaps Gunslinger Girl: The Movie(s) (1, 2, 3, etc.) -- like Full Metal Alchemist -- can finish off the series. Wouldn't that be nice? Maybe after allowing the manga to finish first.
adralegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:31 AM   #20   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie

If they do make another anime series of Gunslinger Girl, it'll be interesting to see if/how they will adapt manga vols 4-7, though of course, they could just make it AU.

OMG! I can't believe I just read that spoiler when I weren't supposed to...At first i thought you say Anime Spoilers, and then after I read it I saw it says MANGA SPOILERS!!!! OMG....I can't believe that...lol
Old 10-10-2006, 05:38 PM   #21   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Angelica doesn't die. She slowly regains her health & ends up helping the other fratello teams out in the field, albeit in a support role as she is still weak when compared to the others.

Claes starts to regain more fleeting memories of Mr Raballo. Outwardly she shows no emotion (I think Jean suspects something though, as he uses(?) the movie 'A River Runs Through it' to see if Claes reacts to it), but she is slowly regaining snippets of her past with Raballo.

Henrietta seems to be growing even more attached to Guiseppe; it hasn't caused any major problems (yet).

Jean exhibits an ounce of kindness to Rico after a mission; both Jean & Guiseppe are haunted by memories of their murdered younger sister - Jean softens very slightly towards Rico after he has a 'visitation'.

Triela's & Hillshire's past is revealed, as is the termination of Franco & Franca (the two bombers), along with Pinocchio, a boy assassin who clashes with Triela (omitted from the anime series altogether) - the final duel between those two is awesome; I'd love to see that animated.

And two(?) more fratello teams are introduced, one of which looks way older than the current Gunslinger Girls, more like Gunslinger Teen.
WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW

In the series, Angelica is definitely dead. From the way you describe it, I hope they donít make an additional series based on the manga. It would really cheapen the ending of the first series, and it sounds more like a mindless shoot-em-up than a complex story. The anime is more than just a bunch of little girls blowing people away. I prefer to end the story with the feeling of hopelessness which these girls seem to accept.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:07 PM   #22   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

Originally Posted by MeMyself
WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW

In the series, Angelica is definitely dead. From the way you describe it, I hope they donít make an additional series based on the manga. It would really cheapen the ending of the first series, and it sounds more like a mindless shoot-em-up than a complex story. The anime is more than just a bunch of little girls blowing people away. I prefer to end the story with the feeling of hopelessness which these girls seem to accept.
Hmm, perhaps my description is kinda misleading but the manga isn't just a mindless shoot-em-up. The story is still complex, though if anything, the later manga volumes focuses on the partnerships that the handlers have with each of their charges, rather than solely on the girls' sad predicament itself. The motivations of the handlers is explored in more depth, & I wish I could read more Japanese; the dynamic between Hillshire & Triela is one of the more interesting parts of the later manga volumes.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:20 PM   #23   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Still you make it sound like they turn into supergirls or something -- indestructable and able to defeat all comers. The problem is that this makes the storyline less tragic -- and weaker. The idea that the series leaves, that the girls are doomed, makes a much stronger impact.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:25 AM   #24   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie

Still you make it sound like they turn into supergirls or something -- indestructable and able to defeat all comers. The problem is that this makes the storyline less tragic -- and weaker. The idea that the series leaves, that the girls are doomed, makes a much stronger impact.

I agree. It does and it also makes a lot more sense....after all they're assassins.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:22 PM   #25   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

. . .Pinocchio, a boy assassin who clashes with Triela (omitted from the anime series altogether) - the final duel between those two is awesome; I'd love to see that animated.
Just out of curiosity, how does that duel come out? I doubt I will get to read the magna, so don't worry about spoilers.

The most disappointing outcome would be that Treila blows Pinocchio away -- disappointing because it would be the most predictable and would give in to the image of the girls being less tragic and more superhuman.

A better storyline with Treila would be that since she is the oldest, she is the first to reach the end of her shortened life expectancy. She could try to hide her failing health, so that she can continue on missions even though her health is effecting her performance. That would be more in line with the anime.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #26   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

Just out of curiosity, how does that duel come out? I doubt I will get to read the magna, so don't worry about spoilers.

The most disappointing outcome would be that Treila blows Pinocchio away -- disappointing because it would be the most predictable and would give in to the image of the girls being less tragic and more superhuman.

A better storyline with Treila would be that since she is the oldest, she is the first to reach the end of her shortened life expectancy. She could try to hide her failing health, so that she can continue on missions even though her health is effecting her performance. That would be more in line with the anime.
The build up to Triela's & Pinocchio's battle is one of the better sequences in the manga series IMO. She loses her first encounter with him, & takes a beating to both her body physically & her self confidence. She laments to Hillshire that if a 'normal' person can take her out, then what use is she to Hillshire if she can't protect him. She becomes withdrawn & ends up getting special close-quarter-combat training from army pro's & gets battered again. Though it's not shown explicitly in the manga, her repeated injuries require treatment, & this involves the use of the conditioning medicine.

The final confrontation goes in Triela's favour, but it's not a gunfight as she loses her sidearm the moment Pinocchio finds her. A long & very bloody knife fight (Pinocchio's favoured weapon) ensues, & Triela gets very heavily damaged, taking multiple stab wounds & losing an eye in the process; she takes Pinocchio out by literally punching him in the eye with her bare hand before falling unconscious due to her heavy injuries.

To me, the most poignant moment of this entire sequence is the aftermath of the fight. She's bandaged from head to toe, & limps painfully out of the car she's been resting in to find Hillshire. She asks him repeatedly if she has done well, if she deserves his praise; he says nothing & merely hugs her. She repeats her question over & over, waiting for praise. IMO, her conditioning has pushed her to take drastic steps to take down her enemies in order to protect Hillshire - the more injured she gets, the more conditioning medicine she needs, & in the process, she is starting to lose part of herself. Sadly, Hillshire can see this but can do nothing to stop it.

I think vols 4 & 5 of the manga series are great with very good character development, in particular for Triela & Hillshire (my fave fratello partnership). Not so sure about vol 6 as it introduces the 'Gunslinger Teen', & I'm currently waiting for vol 7 to arrive from Japan. It's just a pity that ADV have put their manga on hiatus with vol 3.

Old 13-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #27   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

The final confrontation goes in Triela's favour, but it's not a gunfight as she loses her sidearm the moment Pinocchio finds her. A long & very bloody knife fight (Pinocchio's favoured weapon) ensues, & Triela gets very heavily damaged, taking multiple stab wounds & losing an eye in the process; she takes Pinocchio out by literally punching him in the eye with her bare hand before falling unconscious due to her heavy injuries.
After all that it only takes a punch in the eye? Maybe I'm missing something here, but that seems sort of comic. Does this actually kill Pinocchio? I guess he is not part of Section 2, and is a bad guy -- relatively speaking.

Still, it does sound a bit interesting. With her already short life span made shorter by increased conditioning and repairs to her wounds, death cannot be too far away for Triela -- that is, if the magna is like the anime in this regard.
Old 13-10-2006, 05:54 PM   #28   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

After all that it only takes a punch in the eye? Maybe I'm missing something here, but that seems sort of comic. Does this actually kill Pinocchio? I guess he is not part of Section 2, and is a bad guy -- relatively speaking.

Still, it does sound a bit interesting. With her already short life span made shorter by increased conditioning and repairs to her wounds, death cannot be too far away for Triela -- that is, if the magna is like the anime in this regard.
Hmm, it was more than just a simple punch to the eye, more like ramming her entire hand into his face (that was the final killing blow), but Pinocchio is psychotic, & he ignored any pain he recieved from Triela's punches & kicks up till that point (she nearly severs one of his hands with a broken blade edge, & he still keeps on coming). He isn't part of Section 2, the guy is a terrorist assassin & is part of Franco & Franca's cell.
Even if it isn't a 'true' death for Triela, it certainly seems to be a death knell on her former personality; she'll end up like Rico in that respect, just simply following her handler's orders, with little-to-no emotion. My Japanese friend translated the last few pages of the aftermath for me & her repeated seeking of praise from Hillshire is definately a departure from her normal personality.

All this happens in vols 3-5 of the manga, not really sure if I'm liking the way the series is going though as the 5 original girls are no longer the main focus of book 6, & book 7 looks like it's introducing yet another teen to the group. Hmm, I'm just wondering if it's the artist's way of getting bigger boobs into the series.

Old 15-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #29   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Hmm, it was more than just a simple punch to the eye, more like ramming her entire hand into his face (that was the final killing blow),
Still, that does seem a bit over the top, doesn't it? (As if little girls with heavy arms is not?)

I get the impression that there are two main differences between the manga and the series.

1. In the series, the girls come off being more vulnerable and more like victims of Section 2's policies. Although in most cases, their handlers treat them well enough, they are still doomed to a short life. Angelica is dead in the series, agreed?

2. The series centers more on Henrietta, while the manga gives all the girls equal time. (Is the manga titled Gunslinger Girl or Gunslinger Girls? The series is in the singular.)
Old 15-10-2006, 09:32 PM   #30   [permalink]
umoa

Send a message via AIM to umoa
too bz so havent been really around anymore, but this series was pretty good. and thanks for the spoilers altho i probably will never read the manga. however she was deader than fried chicken in the end, while they sang the 9th? maybe they will have some kind of life regeneration thing too? you know those italians
umoa is offline   Reply With Quote