Old 11-10-2006, 04:41 AM   #1   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Busou Renkin

And the Shounen Jump anime onslaught continues with Busou Renkin.

http://www.busourenkin.com/

Quote:
Based on a shounen manga by Watsuki Nobuhiro (creator of Rurouni Kenshin), serialized in Shounen Jump.

The story begins when high school student Mutou Kazuki is killed one night saving a mysterious girl from a monster, only to wake up and find it was only a dream. However, he soon finds out how real that dream was when a giant serpentine monster attacks him and his sister. Tsumura Tokiko, the girl from his dream, explains that the monster is a homunculus. Kazuki had been attacked and killed by it when rescuing Tokiko, however the girl revived him by placing a kakugane medal in his chest.

The kakugane, Tokiko explains, is an alchemical device that when activated can give him the power to fight the homunculus monster. Using this, Kazuki creates his own buso renkin, an alchemic weapon in the form of a huge lance. Along with Tokiko and her own buso renkin, Kazuki joins the fight against the homunculus and their master.
So first episode is out (you can find it at all the usual places).

Busou Renkin first caught my attention last year in the Jump Super Stars DS game where Kazuki was playable. So that would be my reason behind wanting to start this series, that and it's by the same creator as Kenshin.

Pretty decent first episode, a lot better then D.Gray Man (the other Shounen Jump action title of the new season) in terms of animation quality and action, Tokiko's spider leg blade weapon are quite cool albeit a tad creepy. But still this series falls into the typical cliche shounen category not that that bothers me, I'll just enjoy it for what it is.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:25 AM   #2   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

Shakugan no Shana meets Fullmetal Alchemist?Not really.

So far this serie isn't very encouraging.We start with the first cliche plot of a normal guy who gets involved into fighting monsters that are all around the city for some reason.

The battle scenes were boring.Tokiko just stands there and looks at her blades whirling around.The main character if your classic reckless brainless hero wannabe who charges in a melee with no clue what he's doing.Since it's done by Watsuki I'll still download the 2nd episode but unless it gets better I won't be following this anime much.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:36 AM   #3   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Mecha454
it was made by the same guy who did rurouni kenshin, wasn't it?

-Sosuke Sagara

"We have begun third impact!"

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Mecha454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #4   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Originally Posted by Mecha454
it was made by the same guy who did rurouni kenshin, wasn't it?
I believe I said it was in my initial post ...
Old 04-04-2007, 09:16 PM   #5   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

So the series has finally finished.

Obvious series spoilers AHEAD!

Overall not a bad series, yes it's a very typical cliche action shounen series but it delivers. Surpisingly good action and animation, fight scenes weren't made up of the same stock attack sequence seen in past episodes, they actually had some good substance to them ala Kazuki versus Bravo (take 2). Also the series was straight to the point, no fillers at all in it's 26 episode run.

Ending (epsidoe 26) was okay, it was satisfying to say the least, it tied up all the lose ends and we were treated with an everybody (even the bad guys) end up being happy and dandy. Dissapointments for the end was it didn't seem terribly climatic and rushed with too much to get through. We were cheated out of the fight scenes between Kazuki and Victor on the moon. Also after a month of moping that Kazuki is "dead", they happened to finally gaze up at the moon to see that Kazuki is still alive fighting Victor, so what to they do? They decide to wack up some scheme to use Buster Baron to fly to the moon to save him .., okay maybe that whole grand rescue mission might of worked better if it wasn't squeezed into 10 minutes.

It was a fun ride, I did enjoy watching the series. But I don't think I'll be returning back to it any time soon.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:39 PM   #6   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Geez man. Where were you for the past 25 episodes! I too definately enjoyed this series. I thought that the fights were pretty cool and that the build up towards the ending was well executed. Me personally, I didn't have any problems with the final episode. Everything was solved and wrapped up pretty nicely, although I would've like to have seen a longer duel between Chouno and Kazuki. Overall, one of my favorite series to watch this anime season.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:03 AM   #7   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Because this was done by Watsuki, I was interested in following the storyline, but the manga that I scanned through at Borders ... well, it seemed somewhat lackluster ... and risque? Maybe it was the particular manga set, but there seemed to be less in the way of involving plot, and as others said, more cliche and formula.

Sam