Old 10-11-2006, 04:21 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Elfen Lied

I just finished watching the series. The first four episodes are an interesting mix of drama and comedy. But with episode 4, it really takes a darker turn. There is a scene where Nyu is feeling up Yuka, in episode 5 I think, but other than that the last eight episodes are pretty dark. It ranks as one of my favorite animes.

Anyone else seen this series?

I have a question on the ending, but since that involves spoilers, I will post it seperate.

Last edited by MeMyself; 10-11-2006 at 04:25 PM.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:03 PM   #2   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

I enjoyed the series, but I did wonder about half way through if the series was some kind of twisted harem show. Nyu got on my nerves though, I much prefered Lucy's darker personality.

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P
EVA fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

From child abuse to children killing and being killed, this is certainly the darkest anime I have seen. It is odd that they mix comedy and tragedy in the first four episodes only to go totally dark in the last nine.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:15 AM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

WARNING: SOMEWHAT OF A SPOILER -- although I am trying to word it so that it is not.

One question I forgot to ask: When did you figure out how Kohta's sister died? We are given the answer in episode 12, but I figured it out well before then. I don't know if the writers and producers intended it that way, but there are clues. The shocker in episode 12 is not such a shocker.

Last edited by MeMyself; 12-11-2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old 16-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #5   [permalink]
Wolfpac
Senior ---------: V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to Wolfpac Send a message via AIM to Wolfpac Send a message via MSN to Wolfpac Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfpac
I think that I figured it out before episode 12, but I can't remember when. I want to know how you felt with the puppy scene? Yes those kids deserved to be punished for what they did to Lucy's dog but did they deserve to die? Also did it put a smile on you face when Lucy discovered her powers even if it meant having little kids die.
Old 18-11-2006, 02:14 AM   #6   [permalink]
Shomi

Send a message via AIM to Shomi Send a message via MSN to Shomi
Originally Posted by MeMyself
One question I forgot to ask: When did you figure out how Kohta's sister died? We are given the answer in episode 12, but I figured it out well before then. I don't know if the writers and producers intended it that way, but there are clues. The shocker in episode 12 is not such a shocker.
I think Kohta pretty much gave it away that his sister was dead during the seashell scene on Episode 1.
Old 18-11-2006, 09:22 PM   #7   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by Shomi
I think Kohta pretty much gave it away that his sister was dead during the seashell scene on Episode 1.
Yes, but he does not say how she died. He does not even remember the details. He did not even remember Lucy.
Old 16-01-2007, 02:35 AM   #8   [permalink]
animeD

episode 1 was so disgusting and not enjoyable, it turned me off the whole series.
animeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 03:10 AM   #9   [permalink]
Darren

I really liked this anime too. Lots of emotional stuff and the story's pretty good too.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:12 PM   #10   [permalink]
Unlikely Fan

I'm currently watching the series right now...man...all I have to say.

If anybody likes Elfen Lied, I'd highly recommend Mermaid's Scar because of it's violence, sadism, and general disregard for human life...great movie! I'd post a link to YouTube where I saw it, but I'm not sure of the legal ramifications, so whatever you do DON'T log into YouTube and search for either "Mermaid's Scar" and/or "Mermaid's Forrest!"

Total Number of Series Watched: 27
Favorite Anime: Evangelion (Hands Down)
Least Fav: Naruto
Currently Watching: Bleach
Unlikely Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:18 AM   #11   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Originally Posted by EVA fiend
I enjoyed the series, but I did wonder about half way through if the series was some kind of twisted harem show. Nyu got on my nerves though, I much prefered Lucy's darker personality.

I was saying something similar to Anna the other night. Elfen Lied is one of the few anime she's liked, but as far as I can see its just a more graphic version of your average harem anime.

I think thats disturbing. I try to just remember that we all began on some pretty harsh anime. Evangelion wasn't exactly PG. Although I think it was a giant robot, a depressed teen kid, and Misato that made me watch more.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:36 PM   #12   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by Unlikely Fan
I'm currently watching the series right now...man...all I have to say.

If anybody likes Elfen Lied, I'd highly recommend Mermaid's Scar because of it's violence, sadism, and general disregard for human life...great movie! I'd post a link to YouTube where I saw it, but I'm not sure of the legal ramifications, so whatever you do DON'T log into YouTube and search for either "Mermaid's Scar" and/or "Mermaid's Forrest!"
I just added it to my Netflix list. They have it as Mermaid's Forrest. Netflix describes it this way:
"Having inadvertently eaten mermaid flesh 500 years ago, Yuta has achieved his dream of eternal life. But after losing so many of his loved ones to the natural course of aging, he's grown discontented and wants to become mortal once again. Setting out to find another mermaid in hopes that she can tell him what to do, Yuta meets Mana, an immortal girl looking to become human, and they set out on their quest together."
The first sentence grabbed my attention!

Last edited by MeMyself; 03-02-2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:16 PM   #13   [permalink]
Unlikely Fan

Memyself, I believe that I've given you some (possibly) faulty info. Mermaid's Scar and Mermaid's Forest are two different OVAs, they're still in the same universe though! Please forgive me!

I probably should've mentioned this earlier, but Mermaid's Scar/Forest is an older work (I'm not talking about 1970s, but I think early 90s should do it). Just don't want anyone expecting anything remotely as purdy as Elfen.

Total Number of Series Watched: 27
Favorite Anime: Evangelion (Hands Down)
Least Fav: Naruto
Currently Watching: Bleach
Unlikely Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:43 AM   #14   [permalink]
BrikHaus81
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to BrikHaus81
I just finished watching this series, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I've read that the manga apparently continues on, and it seems somewhat unlikely that there will be another season. But that's pure speculation on my part. I would think, though, that they would have chosen to have the OVA not be just a filler episode, but rather be something to tie up all the loose ends, like Lucy going to the headquarters to take out the remaining bad guys, etc.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:38 AM   #15   [permalink]
Anna

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
I was saying something similar to Anna the other night. Elfen Lied is one of the few anime she's liked, but as far as I can see its just a more graphic version of your average harem anime.

I think thats disturbing. I try to just remember that we all began on some pretty harsh anime. Evangelion wasn't exactly PG. Although I think it was a giant robot, a depressed teen kid, and Misato that made me watch more.
Yeah, I have no idea where you get the harem aspect from. Sure there was a bit of weirdo-touchy-feely going on. But I just put that down to being Japanese.

I liked it because it portrayed just how differently people react. Some crack under the pressure, others strive endlessly for perfection. And others act out, get violent, or totally shut down emotionally. I'm kind of surprised you're treating it as just another harem anime, espeically when you're into that whole human drama, social issues, circumstances, sitations and reactions stuff.
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote