Old 10-11-2006, 04:24 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Elfen Lied Ending Question -- SPOILER

Do you think Lucy dies in the end? We apparently see her allowing herself to be shot up. But who is that at the gate at the end. Don't you think that the chiming clock gives us a que? Also, in the Japanese version, according to the subtitles, Yuka explains the extra place at the table by saying, "She wanted to eat, too." Who is "she?"

The ending does not seem to be the end of the story. The director still lives. Like many anime series, it ends in a way that leaves it open for another series or a movie concluding the tale. Does anyone know if there are plans for a second Elfin Lied?
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:00 PM   #2   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

The anime is based on the original manga series by Okamoto Rin, which runs for 12 volumes. The anime is only based on the first 7 volumes, & from what I can gather, the ending of the anime is drastically different to the events depicted in the manga.

Does Lucy die at the end of the anime series? I don't think so; all the clues you've stated hints that she may have actually survived her battle. I don't know if a second series will be made as I have no idea how popular the series was in Japan, but you never know.

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P
EVA fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:42 PM   #3   [permalink]
adralegre

The answer is "Lucy is dead" but "Nyu is alive."

Already posted previously by another animeboards member, there is symbolism involved with the music box and the broken clock. Notice at the end of the final episode, the music box stops and then the clock chimes.

Notice that Lucy has four "invisible hands." When one of her horns got broken, she is only able to use two of her invisible hands during the final gun battle, and then you see her other horn get broken.

The event is shrouded in mystery, but this is my theory as to what happened: Lucy kills most or all of the soldiers, but one lucky shot hits and breaks her horn and sends her plummeting into ocean. She loses her memory, is Nyu once again, and eventually makes her way home to Kouta. So at the end, it is safe to say the Lucy is dead but simple-minded Nyu is alive.

It is unknown if the horns will regenerate or will remain broken.

Last edited by adralegre; 11-11-2006 at 05:44 PM.
adralegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:49 PM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

The problem is that Lucy has the power to stop the bullets, but does not. That's how the other horn gets broken off. Did all the other bullets miss their mark? Doubtful. Also, some time obviously passes between that final battle and the scene at the end. Why did Nyu not come back right away? Why does Kohta not recognize her? Why does she not come in? There is some indication that Nyu was starting to share some of Lucy's memories. Does that have anything to do with Nyu's behavior?

I have a similar discussion going on in another site. I am going to rewatch the last three episodes. There are three possibilities:

1. Lucy is dead.
2. Lucy is alive.
3. Lucy is dead, but Nyu lives.

I am going to list the arguments for and against each one. I will post it here.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:12 PM   #5   [permalink]
adralegre

^Sounds good.

Elfen Lied is really one of those what I call "manga sampler" animes. If you wanted to know what really happens at the end, you have to continue by reading the manga approximately where the anime left off.
adralegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 12:16 AM   #6   [permalink]
Kaneda

i always thought that lucy spent the time away trying to overcome her multipersonallity. mb she was busy taking down the entire company that created her. she also needed to come to grips with the fact that she killed the main characters parents. either way, i figure she comes back as her whole self and not divided into her 2 selves anymore. thats why the dog is barking at her.

imo the music box symbolizes her multiple personallity and the clock finally fixes itself much how lucy fixes herself.
Old 13-11-2006, 11:57 PM   #7   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by adralegre
Notice that Lucy has four "invisible hands." When one of her horns got broken, she is only able to use two of her invisible hands during the final gun battle, and then you see her other horn get broken.
Not so. I re-watched the last three episodes. After her one horn breaks, she only kills one more person. You do not see her hands at all. There is no indication that losing her horns causes her to lose her powers.
Old 13-11-2006, 11:59 PM   #8   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I’m going to divide this up into several posts due to the length.

Let’s break this argument down to four possibilities:

1. Lucy/Nyu is dead.
2. Lucy/Nyu is alive.
3. Lucy is “dead,” but Nyu is alive.
4. Nyu is “dead,” but Lucy is alive.

I had to combine some of the arguments with counter-arguments, so to try to keep things straight, points in favor of Lucy/Nyu being dead are in blue, in favor of Lucy/Nyu being alive are in red, in favor of Lucy being dead and Nyu alive are in green, and of Nyu being dead and Lucy alive are in orange.
Old 14-11-2006, 12:01 AM   #9   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Lucy/Nyu is Dead

1. She tells the mercenary that has been hunting her, “This is the last you are ever going to see of me.” It sounds like she is going to kill him, but she lets him live. This can only mean she expects to die for how else will she know she will never see him again as he is most certainly going to continue to hunt her.

2. She tells Nana to go live with Kohta. “I want you to do what I can’t do,” are her exact words. Again, this could be a sign that she expects to die.

3. We see her getting shot up by the army.

No, we only see her last remaining horn shot off.

Lucy has the power to stop the bullets, but she does not. Unless the soldiers are incredibly bad shots, some of the bullets must have found their mark. If you argue that by losing her horns, Lucy loses her power and becomes Nyu, then she most certainly could not survive.

But we have seen how the Diclonius can survive serious wounds. As a child, we saw that Lucy apparently had the top of her scalp shot off.

But they survived thanks in part to medical treatment. Since the Director ordered Lucy’s death, who would give her treatment?

4. The closing credits of episodes 1-12 are shown against a backdrop of a nude Lucy/Nyu sleeping. The upbeat closing theme, Wanna Be Your Girl, is playing. For episode 13, the closing credits are white letters on a black background, and no music is playing. It is as though they are in mourning. If not in mourning for Lucy, then for who?

Last edited by MeMyself; 14-11-2006 at 12:10 AM.
Old 14-11-2006, 12:04 AM   #10   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Lucy/Nyu is Alive

1. There is the extra bowl set by Yuka for dinner.

The scene takes place some time after Lucy/Nyu may or may not have died. This just may have been an absent minded mistake. If Lucy/Nyu is alive, how would Yuka know?

2. While Nana is talking, there is a quick glimpse of Lucy.

This is just a flashback in Nana’s mind.

3. Then there is the figure at the gate. It sure looks like Lucy/Nyu.

Then why did Kohta not recognize her? Remember that the Director wants Lucy dead, and that mercenary is also after her. Lucy, if alive, is being hunted. If she returns to Kohta, she puts him and the others in danger. She does not want that.

Some time had passed. Maybe Lucy went back and killed the Director and everyone else who was hunting her.

That is pure speculation. Besides, it is clear that Lucy pretty much has had her fill of killing. She knows Kohta wants her to stop. She does not even attack the soldiers shooting at her.

Then who was the figure at the gate?

4. The chiming of the clock and the music box indicates that it was Lucy/Nyu.

The music box stopped playing. If this is an indication of anything, it is that Lucy/Nyu is dead.

5. The story is continued in the manga, and Lucy is alive.

We are talking about the anime. It would not be the first time that an anime differed from the manga. For example, in the Gunslinger Girl anime one of the girls dies at the end. In the manga that character lives.
Old 14-11-2006, 12:06 AM   #11   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Lucy Dead/Nyu Alive

1. The figure at the gate stands like Nyu.

No she stands like Lucy -- slightly bent over. This is the way she always stood after changing from Nyu to Lucy, or before a kill (along with the hair in the face and that stare).

2. Lucy could not return to Kohta, either out of guilt or fear that she would be placing him in danger. For Nyu, this was not a concern.

But by episode 11, Nyu became aware of Lucy’s memories. When she apologizes to Kohta, he thinks it is for breaking the sea shell. It could well be for killing Kohta’s father and sister. Neither Lucy nor Nyu can return to Kohta.

3. When Lucy lost her horns, she turned into Nyu for good.

Then why did she not return to Kohta immediately? Plus as Nyu she certainly could not have defended herself against the soldiers. She would have been killed there and then. Besides, when she lost her first horn, she tells Kohta it is “nothing serious” -- and she still effectively kills that one last person.
Old 14-11-2006, 12:08 AM   #12   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Nyu Dead/Lucy Alive

1. Assume that Lucy has now been cured of her schizophrenia.

2. The figure at the gate stands more like Lucy.

Only when she changes from Nyu, which disproves the first point, or when she is about to kill. Who does she want to kill at the end? She loves Kohta.

Besides, Nana would have sensed Lucy.

3. The figure at the gate does not enter the house. Perhaps Lucy only wanted a brief look at Kohta from afar. She cannot bring herself to go in.

Again, even being near Kohta would put him in danger.
Old 14-11-2006, 12:09 AM   #13   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Unhappy Conclusion

My theory is that the writers got a bit sloppy at the end. They wanted to leave the impression that Lucy is alive, but they left too many holes open. Or they just want to confuse everyone.
Old 14-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #14   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

It's a classic ploy.Make the ending somewhat conclusive while keeping it vague enough to have the opportunity for a sequel if it's popular enough.In most cases there's no 2nd season and we're left with a weird ending.

My best guess is,Lucy is dead,but Nyu is alive.
Old 14-11-2006, 10:02 PM   #15   [permalink]
Kaneda

Originally Posted by MeMyself
My theory is that the writers got a bit sloppy at the end. They wanted to leave the impression that Lucy is alive, but they left too many holes open. Or they just want to confuse everyone.
other than the obvious answer ^^

the real question would be: if it's not lucy/nyu, then who would be at the gate and if its of no one important why would the director show it?

imo it has to be her. as to wether its lucy or nyu... well, nyu is a little annoying so its gotta be lucy.