Old 09-06-2008, 03:19 AM   #31   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Just finished the series, and find the Lucy dead/Nyuu Live to be the one favor.

I think that what happened is that Lucy was determined to finish off the remaining forces ... but by this time was injured, tired and somewhat fatalistic about surviving the battle (due in no small part to her developing conscience) ...

During the course of the battle, the opposition security force pulled out all the stops and employed heavier caliber weapons, like the .50 cal sniper rifle used to injure Lucy earlier ... with similar results.

The bullet grazed her skull, shaving off her other horn and creating an amnesic trauma much like the first injury ... but by this time the sucurity force was virtually annihilated with a bleeding and injured lucy either staggering off or falling into the ocean (to be carried on tide to some nearby cove or beach) ... only to wake up as the simple Nyuu once again.

Now if it was Nyuu, why did she not just rush in in her normal impulsive/spontaneous self?

Possible plot device to add a degree of uncertainty and expectation by providing the symbol of an unaticipated return in the form of a waiting sillouette of a female at the gate. It could also be that while the character is primarily Nyuu, a shadow of a memory from Lucy remains - which translates into a somewhat hesitant Nyuu who feels as if she has done something wrong to Kouta and yet wants to make amends.

Points already mentioned ...

1. Nyuu has a different mental aura or is harder to isolate when compared to Lucy.

2. Kouta is seen putting away the seashell into the music box (I see this as the symbolic insertion of Nyuu's persona into the "body" that was once shared ... the "lied" tune stops and the broken clock (that Nyuu activated by swinging the pendulum starts) .. which could have the secondary message of the close of the past and the resumption of living through time.

3. Dogs do not like Lucy, (flashback to the killing of a boy with a dog) ... but like Nyuu.

4. The presense of Nyuu would not conflict with the development of the primary relationship between Kouta and Yuka ( they are described as cousins ... but not how distant )
Old 16-12-2008, 11:12 PM   #32   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Exclamation The Manga

I just want to say that I just finished the manga. You cannot use the manga to interpret the end of the series because the last two episodes of the series go off in an entirely different direction than the manga.

There are other small differences with the manga -- no clock for Nyuu to fix, and an extra character (a girl with a bladder problem who teaches Nyuu to sing). But the final confrontation in the anime is not in the least like the manga.

I recommend the manga. You can find it at http://www.onemanga.com. You will see why you can't use it to interpret the series.

I do plan to get around to viewing the series again. Based on its place on my Netflix list, I expect to get to it next month.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #33   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I just finished watching the series for the second time, watching each episode twice -- once in English and once in Japanese with the sub-titles. Again, the series does follow the anime except for the last two episodes. Episodes 12 and 13 go off in an entirely different direction than the manga. They do leave a major sub-plot unresolved.

But what about the ending? Is that Nyu and/or Lucy at the gate? My first impression, from the second viewing, is that the ending has nothing to do with the real story. It was stuck on there just to confuse the viewer and/or to inspire discussion to publicize the series. Well, it did work.

But the second time I re-watched the final episode, I wondered if the stopping of the music box symbolized the death of Lucy, while the clock chiming symbolized the re-birth of Nyu. That would be a bit of a departure from the anime. Still, the figure did slouch a bit -- just like Lucy.

I think I will go with my first explanation. The writers, producers and director just wanted to mess with us.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #34   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
3. Dogs do not like Lucy, (flashback to the killing of a boy with a dog) ... but like Nyuu.
I just noticed this old posting ahead of mine, and I wanted to correct this error. Wanta liked Lucy. The first time Wanta sees Lucy/Nyu as Lucy, we think Lucy kills the little dog. But we soon find out she only cut his leash letting him run free. Wanta barks at Lucy in the same friendly way he barks at Nyu. Apparently, he can't tell the difference. Maybe he is just a very stupid dog.
Old 16-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #35   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Perhaps the malevolent third personality is the gate, of course seeing as I'd have to reread the manga (Which is has been fully released at StopTazmo.com)
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #36   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Third personality? That would really depart from the manga.
Old 20-07-2009, 04:52 AM   #37   [permalink]
IamGraham

Lucy and Nyu

Nyu was Lucy's personality split, so in my opinion, this personality split was caused by her love for Kohta, but her inability to apologize. So once she actually came to terms with Kohta and accepted the fact that she killed his sister and father, she had no reason to go back to Nyu. She could still openly love Khota without her own fear of him hating her. This is backed up by the fact that multiple times during the series, Nyu changes to Lucy and obviously recognizes Kohta and protects him. So I personally believe that their personalities just kind of fused. She became Lucy, but still had her memories from Nyu. She also tells Nana to go back to the house. She wouldn't have known about the house being such a good place if she didn't have her good memories from it. But it's all just speculation.
IamGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #38   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

The only fault I find in your posting is that Lucy/Nyu's personality split is the result of her love of Kohta. It's been a few months since I re-watched the series, but I remember her having the split personality before she was found by Kohta.

Lucy does seem to know something about Nyu. When Nyu is drugged by that scientist who wants to mate with her, Lucy emerges. I don't remember if it is in the anime or the manga or both that Lucy refers to "the other one," to paraphrase. (Although, the story line in the manga does contain differences from the anime, or visa versa. For example, that thing with the clock is not in the manga.)

Lucy does not seem to be able to control the mental transformation, although at the end her personality is clearly dominant. If that is Lucy at the gate, then the Nyu personality is probably submerged deep in her subconcious never to be seen again.
Old 23-07-2009, 02:28 AM   #39   [permalink]
direking

haha, I totally agree with you

and now we know the answer
direking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #40   [permalink]
crazyplay

this anime is a tragedy, in the end, Lucy is dead, nana is alive, that's enough for Kouta

Last edited by crazyplay; 27-07-2009 at 09:58 PM.
crazyplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #41   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Then who was the girl at the gate?

Or were the makers of the anime just messing with us?
Old 02-08-2009, 01:43 AM   #42   [permalink]
Taraka

Lightbulb Nana does not sense the girl outside the gate

When Lucy is nearby, Nana is aware of her. In the anime's ending dinner sequence, however, Nana makes no mention of sensing Lucy nearby. This would mean that if the girl outside the gate were Lucy/Nyu, then she would have to be active in her Nyu personality at that time.

To have the clock start right at the time that the girl shows up outside the gate feels rather uncanny to me. If the person were anyone other than Lucy/Nyu, there can be no significance to the clock starting at this time, so if it is not her in the flesh, then it must be her in spirit.
Taraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #43   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by Taraka View Post
When Lucy is nearby, Nana is aware of her. In the anime's ending dinner sequence, however, Nana makes no mention of sensing Lucy nearby. This would mean that if the girl outside the gate were Lucy/Nyu, then she would have to be active in her Nyu personality at that time.
Good point, although the girl at the gate still looks more like Lucy than Nyu. Plus I don't think Nyu would keep her distance. Again, the creators are messing with us.

I don't like relying on the manga to interprete animes, but it is interesting to note that in the last two or three episodes the anime does differ. In the manga, Kouta has yet to remember how Lucy killed his father and sister. Lucy loses her horns and disappears leaving only Nyu. But the horns grow back and Lucy returns stronger than ever. But I get no sense that is what is what happened in the series.
Old 19-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #44   [permalink]
ltorrent

Originally Posted by Taraka View Post
Can't it be that Nana do not feel Lucy's existence because Lucy has no horns?
ltorrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #45   [permalink]
Junsai

This is an old topic but I just have to say I believe Lucy/nyu to be alive.

When she is shot at, FIRSTLY she didn't let them shoot her. If you just pay attention to the camera angle you will notice all the bullets are going upwards. The camera shifts up and she has two of her vectors going upwards. The camera zooms in on the moon = going upwards even more, and the bullets continue to be in the frame. If she was letting them shoot her we wouldn't have been able to notice the bullets because of the angle.

As far as why there are only two vectors in the frame that is simple to explain. Perhaps lucy needs only two vectors to block bullets from one side and since the camera was only facing forward this is all we can see. Remember she was being shot at from both behind and ahead. For all we know there could have been two more vectors behind her that we didn't see because of the angle. Also please remember that Lucy didn't fight with four vectors ALL THE TIME. It depended on how she was attacking that determined that. So I see no proof between vectors and horns.

As far as the clock, I doubt they would call someone to fix it. It was broken forever so for them to suddenly care to get it fixed especially if it's a memento of Lucy/nyu seems silly to me. So in my mind Lucy would have to have fixed it.

The person at the gate stands as Lucy does. The other female chars in the show are either dead or do not resemble how Lucy stands as the person at the gate does.

I believe they ended on a cliff hanger hoping for a second season. Knowing that fact alone we can say Lucy is alive otherwise they couldn't have a second season like they were hoping for. The season never happened but that doesn't mean Lucy is now dead.

The reason Nana didn't sense Lucy could be the fact she doesn't have her horns or it could be nyu is the dominant personality but aware of her past as Lucy. Which would mean Nana wouldn't be able to sense her and it would explain her posture and reserve.

Last edited by Junsai; 12-10-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Junsai is offline   Reply With Quote