Old 26-11-2006, 10:36 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Lunar Legend Tsukihime Question -- SPOILER

When Arcueid appears to Shiki at the end, has she come back to life? Or is it her spirit after death?

Shiki seems to act as if she were alive.

But remember when Shiki kills her at the beginning, her body does not disappear. Then she comes back to life. When Roa kills her, her body disappears. When all other vampires are killed and their body disappears, they are dead for good.

So is it Arcueid's ghost that we see saying goodbye to Shiki?
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2006, 01:56 PM   #2   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

I've always considered Arcueid to be on borrowed time ever since Shiki cut her up in the first episode, so at the end of the series, she's dead as far as I'm concerned.

Originally Posted by MeMyself
So is it Arcueid's ghost that we see saying goodbye to Shiki?
That was the way I interpreted that scene, so yes.

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P
EVA fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2006, 04:08 PM   #3   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

It's hard to make a sacrifice scene poignant if the character can just come back life right?So I also think Arcuied is really dead
Old 28-11-2006, 11:05 PM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

After my first posting, I rewatched the ending twice -- both times in English, but the second time with the English subtitles turned on.

Previously, I first watched the English version, and then the Japanese with the subtitles. I think that the Japanese with the English subtitles mislead me into thinking Shiki thought Arcueid was alive. But when I watched the English with the subtitles, it reminded me that the subtitles were incomplete. So now I think Shiki did realize he was talking to Arcueid's spirit.

HOWEVER,

There is a discrepancy. Earlier when the other vampires die, the turn to dust and vanish. Neither Arcueid or Roa turn to dust. They vanish in a different way. So maybe its a different sort of death, or they are dead but in a different sort of manner.

But as far as Shiki is concerned, Arcueid is dead.

Interesting though how everyone forgets about Ciel except for Shiki.
Old 28-11-2006, 11:06 PM   #5   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by EVA fiend
I've always considered Arcueid to be on borrowed time ever since Shiki cut her up in the first episode, so at the end of the series, she's dead as far as I'm concerned.
But a couple of hundred years before the series begins, Arcueid kills Ciel and Ciel is still going strong.

They never really explain why Shiki attacks Arcueid in the beginning.
Old 29-11-2006, 01:47 PM   #6   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

Originally Posted by MeMyself
But a couple of hundred years before the series begins, Arcueid kills Ciel and Ciel is still going strong.
As far as I can recall, Ciel won't/can't die until Roa dies, as IIRC she's trying to atone for all the damage she did whilst Roa was using her body.

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P
EVA fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:34 PM   #7   [permalink]
Mav

Yes, as a former host of Roa, Ciel won't die until he does.

As for Arcueid, Roa had tricked her into drinking some of his blood, turning him into a vampire and giving him some of her power. She killed Roa over and over, but he always reincarnated, keeping that power. Then he killed her, and she would have stayed dead, but Shiki permanently killed Roa (erased his existence, in fact), which released that power back to her, allowing her to revive once more.

But, she would be unable to resist the vampiric impulse to drink blood any longer, and so had to leave, to sleep forever.

Of course, I don't think the anime actually explains most of that.

Oh, and Shiki attacked Arcueid because he is of the Nanaya family, and the blood of demon hunters runs in his veins. It's an instinct of his to kill non-human things.
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote