Old 01-03-2007, 11:21 PM   #1   [permalink]
Unlikely Fan

Saddest/Most Depressing Anime Moment

I know we've all had them. Those show that make you say "damn, that really sucks!" Call them "tear-jerkers," or rename the series into something like "Neon Genesis Manic-depression," but they are out there. So my question to you kind folks is: what would you consider to be the single moment (or moments if you're indecisive) that left you feeling sad or depressed?

My personal moment is the end of Texhnolyze where
SPOILER ALERT: to see highlight bottom of message.

everybody in Lukuss (and apparently on the surface as well) has died except for Ichise. He fulfilled Ran's prophecy of being the last human alive. The final scene has Ichise huddled in a fetal position just waiting to die. This is the second thing that I've watched that had me sitting there all the way through the credits with my mouth open. I couldn't get over the fact that, for lack of a better phrase, how much that would suck.

Total Number of Series Watched: 27
Favorite Anime: Evangelion (Hands Down)
Least Fav: Naruto
Currently Watching: Bleach
Unlikely Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:35 PM   #2   [permalink]
BrikHaus81
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to BrikHaus81
It's unquestionably the ending of the second season of Mahoromatic. I felt depressed and empty inside for days after that was over. I was really suprised an anime had affected me that much!
Old 02-03-2007, 03:05 AM   #3   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Are we counting major emotional blows, or just general misery, such as is found in dramas like Kimi ga nozomu eien?

Just naming a series is a spoiler.

NGE
Bebop
Trigun
Now and then, here and there
Probably something in "His and Her Circumstances"
Wolf's Rain
Gunslinger Girl
Fruits Basket
Last Exile (man, that one was a surprise!)
Gundam Seed Destiny (I havent seen enough of Gundam Seed to know about its misery, Im sure there is plenty though)
Twelve Kingdoms
She, The Ultimate Weapon
Nadesico

ok, I will stop now.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:18 AM   #4   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Are we counting major emotional blows, or just general misery, such as is found in dramas like Kimi ga nozomu eien?

Just naming a series is a spoiler.

NGE
Bebop
Trigun
Now and then, here and there
Probably something in "His and Her Circumstances"
Wolf's Rain
Gunslinger Girl
Fruits Basket
Last Exile (man, that one was a surprise!)
Gundam Seed Destiny (I havent seen enough of Gundam Seed to know about its misery, Im sure there is plenty though)
Twelve Kingdoms
She, The Ultimate Weapon
Nadesico

ok, I will stop now.

What? No Grave of the Fireflies?
Old 02-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #5   [permalink]
Unlikely Fan

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Either one is fine with me.

Total Number of Series Watched: 27
Favorite Anime: Evangelion (Hands Down)
Least Fav: Naruto
Currently Watching: Bleach
Unlikely Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:50 AM   #6   [permalink]
Kusunagi
Forum Junkie

Grave of the Fireflies
Transformers The Movie (Hey I was young!)
X the series ending...

I can't believe I didn't see Saikano, that was just depressing.
Samurai X Refelctions... animators!!!

I'll stop here
Why Am I Dying to Live, If Im just Living to Die
Kusunagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:23 PM   #7   [permalink]
Nokari
Forum Master

I thought Samurai X Reflections was moving, but still a little depressive.

Now and Then, Here and There was just plain depressing. I never got past the first DVD..

Some of the saddest moments I've seen are in Wolf's Rain
*SPOILERS*

The first time I watched the series and the moment when Cher was getting out of the truck and the cliff just starts falling with her still in the truck, I was completely floored. I did a bonifide OMG holy ---- no way. But everytime I see that scene where she dies, I get choked up a little.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:54 PM   #8   [permalink]
dalmain
Executive Member

Send a message via MSN to dalmain
Zeta Gundam had some sad and depressing moments, but I won't spoil anything.
dalmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #9   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

I get a lump in my throat quite easily when watching anime;

*SPOILERS GALORE - highlight to view*

Chrono Crusade - when Chrono & Rosette die in each others arms at the end

Figure 17 - when Hikaru says goodbye to Tsubasa after becoming Figure 17 for the last time

Kannazuki no Miko - when Chikane confesses her true feelings to Himeko

Haibane Renmei - when Reki leaves

Kino's Journey - when the town is destroyed by a natural disaster in the last episode, & all Kino can do is look on in horror

My-HiME - when Natsuki found out that her reason for being (revenge against the First District for her mother's death) wasn't what she thought it was at all, & after finding out that her closest friend Shizuru had betrayed her trust when it was implied that Shizuru had raped her when she was unconcious in the tea house. Natsuki's horrified reaction & Shizuru's descent into madness made my heart clench. Poor Natsuki, poor Shizuru.., ;_;

Outright bawling my eyes out is rarer, only 5 occasions in the 20 odd years I've been watching anime;

Graveyard of the Fireflies - you have to have a heart of stone not to be moved by this. I watched this movie with my parents, & by the end of it, we were all in tears. It was especially poignant for my folks as they were children themselves during WWII, struggling to survive the Japanese invasion of China.

End of Evangelion - I cried at two seperate points in this; the first was when Misato was fatally shot & lay dying & the second time was when the final credits rolled. I had been following the series religiously since 1996, so when I finally saw EoE in 1999, it was like the end of a very long journey for me, the end of an era so-to-speak. ;_;

Strawberry Panic! - only one particular episode set me off & that was eps 19, when Shizuma's past relationship with Kaori is revealed, & then Kaori's subsequent death. It made me cry loads. ;_;

Saikano - I cried for the longest time whilst watching this series as I saw all 13 episodes in one sitting. I knew from all the write ups that I had read online that this was gonna be a sad & emotional series, I didn't realise how sad until the tears fell from my eyes during episode 8 they didn't stop till the credits for the final episode rolled. I was very emotionally drained after watching that series. ;_;

Voltes V - okay, I was a child when I saw this but the fact that I still remember it quite vividly is kinda scary really. Can't recall exactly which episode, but it just after the monster of the week has been destroyed & Megumi (the female pilot of Voltes V) is standing on a cliff, looking at the sunset, clutching her father's uniform jacket, & crying out her father's name as he had been killed earlier on in the same episode.
It has been over 25 years since I saw that series, but that one image has stuck with me. Odd that.

Yes, I know that I'm a soppy sod. ^_^;;

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P
EVA fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:22 PM   #10   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Mecha454
Elfen Lied when those kids killed the dog.

Grave of the Fireflies too.

-Sosuke Sagara

"We have begun third impact!"

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Mecha454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:51 AM   #11   [permalink]
Magnus9
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Magnus9 Send a message via MSN to Magnus9
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - When the Tachikoma's sacrificed themselves to save Batou.

Life is Peachy
Magnus9
Magnus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #12   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Why dont we just list the entire ADV catalogue?
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #13   [permalink]
kareebo

for me most definately Grave of the Fireflies! i cried like the whole movie... and for at least 2 months i couldn't mention the names Seita or setsuko in front of my hubby
Old 06-03-2007, 09:46 PM   #14   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by EVA fiend
Voltes V - okay, I was a child when I saw this but the fact that I still remember it quite vividly is kinda scary really. Can't recall exactly which episode, but it just after the monster of the week has been destroyed & Megumi (the female pilot of Voltes V) is standing on a cliff, looking at the sunset, clutching her father's uniform jacket, & crying out her father's name as he had been killed earlier on in the same episode.
It has been over 25 years since I saw that series, but that one image has stuck with me. Odd that.
It's also been a long time (>15yrs) since I've watched this (about 5-7eps). A certain scene has stuck out for me too, although different to your one:

Episode 2 (it might be available on YouTube): This ugly lion/bull robo-beast had chained Voltes V from behind and was literally pulling it apart. The mother of Kenichi, that big bloke in green and that little kid in blue (the dubbed version, which I watched, had them as Steve Smith and I think stupid names like Big Bird or something), was badly injured from some giant skull firing a laser cannon. However, she escaped to a fighter plane, started flying it (being some sort of secret jet ace) and flew straight into the big ugly beast to free Voltes V. Needless to say, she died instantly, and wow, what a response from the Voltes V crew. The dub was supreme as Steve, after a stunned silence and fighting back tears, went ballistic on the robo-beast. There was so much passion as Voltes just pounded it to a bloody pulp, wheeled out those electromagnetic tops and sliced the enemy apart. I haven't heard anything like it in a dub since. And if you thought a robot didn't show emotions, then be amazed as Voltes' expression visibly fluctuates from angry before the fight to sad after it.

Other moments I found sad:

Grave of the Fireflies
The saddest moments were, for me: Seita being soundly beaten by the farmer for trying to get food for his dying sister. Seita sitting down and about to die at the end, maybe quietly contemplating the point of his existence.

Ninja Scroll (Movie)
The ending where Jubei walks off alone .... just something about someone going through all the tragic nonsense he went through, saving the world and nobody being alive at the end to give two figs about who he is, and what he has done.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 06-03-2007 at 09:47 PM.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2007, 07:38 PM   #15   [permalink]
Super_cyp

ummm.... I think Maes Hughes death in FMA was rather sad, his daughter at his funeral just added an extra sense of reality to the death also Ed's death. umm... and finding out about Momiji's past in Fruits basket that was sad. Also in DBZ when Goku says that Vegeta and Gohan were killed by Majin Buu and Bulma breaks down that was so sad.
Super_cyp is offline   Reply With Quote