Old 06-04-2007, 04:06 AM   #1   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
[GAINAX ON!] Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (from the creative minds of FLCL & Diebuster)

http://www.gurren-lagann.net/

Off AniDB
Quote:
In the distant future, people build their homes and raise domestic animals in subterranean caverns. As a result, they live in fear of the occasional earthquake and cave-in, and have been for hundreds of years. Jeeha is one such village.

One day, a boy named Simon happens to find a small, shiny drill whilst digging to expand the village. At the same time, Kamina, a guy who believes that there is another land above the village, persuades a gangster to break through the ceiling in order to leave the cavern. Suddenly, an earthquake occurs and the ceiling collapses, followed by a big robot breaking through the ceiling.

Kamina is now sure that there is a world above them. Recklessly, he begins to fight against the robot. At that moment, another person appears from the land above. It is a girl by the name of Yoko. With a rifle in hand, she had been tracking the robot. However, all she could do was distract it. Then, Simon shows what he had found to Kamina and Yoko. It`s a mysterious robot whose head is also its body.
GAINAX's latest anime venture, my god it is kicking awesome!

It's directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi, who worked on Furi Kuri, Diebuster (I love those two series to death) and Dead Leaves. And there are plenty of other creative minds who worked on those series (and other GAINAX ones) on board for this. So if you've seen any of those series you can know what to expect from Gurren Langaan (I mean just check out the website!).

First episode delivers! Whilst it might not be as well detailed as the mentioned OVA's above, the animation is crisp and colourful and looks like an absolute treat. The action, oh the crazy over the top frantic action, it's still all there in bucket fulls. Makes me want to pull out FLCL or Diebuster out again and give it a whirl.

There's a nice little homage (?) of sorts to Kitsurubami (of FLCL) as Yoko also wields a big sniper rifle.

Langann reminded me of Drill Dozer (that GBA game). Speaking of which they are planning to make a game for this series.

Not sure where this series is heading, from the opening they'll be finding more parts of Langann, obviously as Langaan is just a head with arms and legs sprouting out. I'm sure the space battle scene at the start of the episode has something to do with the origins of Langann and the post apocalyptic state the world is in at the moment.

This is going to be great and at 26 episodes long (unlike FLCL and Diebuster at 6) there's going to be plenty of awesome to sit through. Best new series for the new season or even the year?! Yes.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 03:31 PM   #2   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Mecha454
This is one title I've been wating for, but is it going to have the same ambiguous ending that every other series had?

Except of course for Nadia.

-Sosuke Sagara

"We have begun third impact!"

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Mecha454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #3   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Just watched the first episode! Simply amazing. Best anime that GAINAX has put out in a long time. Everything, from the moment the first episode starts, is really a blast! This anime does remind me alot of FLCL for the craziness and absurd events that were going on in the series.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 08:39 AM   #4   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Uniting. Best scene in episode three.

So is it just me or does anybody else thingk that Simon, Kamina and friends will just continue on collecting more parts as episodes go on until they have themselves a space ship of sorts then fly off into space?
Old 21-04-2007, 09:19 AM   #5   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

That's what is seems like to me too, but from where? It's pretty definate that they're going into outer space.
Old 27-04-2007, 06:22 AM   #6   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Was it just me or was there a noticable drop in quality here in episode four? Faces, body structures etc looked mishapened and inconsistent.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #7   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Well...to be honest, it didn't bother me too much. I noticed over at animenation and other boards were making a huge deal out of it. I've seen worse and this wasn't it. You can't expect it to be perfect throughout. Not to mention it's only been 5 episodes released so far. Most people were ranting about how poor it was and everything....with that out of the way, I enjoyed this episode too. Watching Simon and Kamina unite was pretty cool.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #8   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Diebuster cameos in episode six makes me happy.
Old 13-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #9   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Just finished episode 6. This episode was WAYYY over the top!! The Diebuster cameos was a bit weird though, but welcomed! I wouldn't have know if you hadn't said anything orochi X. What had me rolling though was towards the end the episode when everyone tried to fit into the mini gurren that Simon uses. The look on his face was priceless!! I tell you, that boy was in Heaven, even if it was only for a few seconds. Then shortly after that, Simon and Kamina see Yoko's Tits!! Another priceless moment.

With that said, I'm looking forward to episode 7 as this may be the most action packed episode out of this series so far.
Old 22-05-2007, 04:13 AM   #10   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Gurren Lagann 8

Spoiler:
Episode eight rocked, Gurren-Lagann went out with a bang. But to kill off Kamina? What the hell are you thinking Gainax?!
Old 25-05-2007, 03:35 AM   #11   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

HOLY SH!T! This episode was WAYYY OVER THE TOP!! A flare for the dramatic....also a sad episode. I wasn't expecting this:

Spoiler:
That Kamina would actually die! Sh!T...One thing I can say about him though was the fact that although he did some off the wall sh!t, he stood his ground...firm. He didn't go out like a punk. He stood his ground and never backed down, no matter how grim the odds were. This honestly shocked the hell of me. Neverthless, what a tremendous battle. Watching all Great Gurren-Brigade come together to whoop some ass was outstanding. By far the wildest, craziest, most fun action sequences that I have seen in A LONG TIME!!

Well...with happened, I'm wondering what direction the series will turn now. GAINAX has done it again!! They never cease to amaze me.
Old 25-05-2007, 04:08 AM   #12   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

I like to make a couple more comments about episode 8. This episode was truly EPIC!! Everything that you can ask for out of anime was all present in this episode. Truly outstanding!! Couldn't have asked for more from this episode. A man's man episode I must say. Also:

Spoiler:
What will happen with Simon now? Without Kamina to lead him, what direction will Simon go? What will Yoko do as well? So many questions...can't wait for the answers!

Last edited by ACE2001; 25-05-2007 at 04:09 AM.
Old 25-05-2007, 04:12 AM   #13   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Okay, okay!! This is the last comment from me on this episode.

Spoiler:
Do you think that Simon is the reason that Kamina died? I don't think so, but I was curious.
Old 25-05-2007, 05:18 AM   #14   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Spoiler:
Everybody will mourn.

Simon will probably inherit Kamina's "will", now seeing as they have that might large ganmen base they will probably use that to eventually fly into space. If you remember from the start of episode one, the Gurren Lagann was part of a giant battleship.

Yoko might end up falling for Simon, for those who don't know Yoko and Simon are both 14 years old whilst Kamina is 17. Wouldn't of guessed would you?

I don't think Simon was to blame, Kamina was just caught off by the General's sneaky blast.

Will Gainax pull a resurrection on us in the near future? Who knows.
Old 25-05-2007, 04:03 PM   #15   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Spoiler:
Wow! I never would've thought that Yoko was 14?! Well, age ain't nothing but a number anyways! As for a resurrection, god I hope not! I would go ape sh!t if that were to happen. It would make the impact of this episode totally meaningless, but I don't put it past GAINAX to do something like this. After all, I didn't see Kamina's death coming so soon...or at all for the fact. It's kind of strange though...watching this episode a couple of times, I couldn't help but wonder if Kamina knew that he was going to die soon, so he spent his time grooming Simon to become manly and to take hold of his destiny. Truly beautiful...say anything bad about Kamina, but one thing for sure, he was definately a man!