Old 28-05-2007, 12:07 AM   #16   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Finished episode 9. Was worried about a let down after episode 8, but this episode delivered. Man, Simon creeped me out! That poor guy is a complete mess! Talk about complete depression. Sort of liked the fact that he went all berserk against the Gannmen. Like he didn't give a sh!T! It sucked watching him just completely destroyed like that. The animation did a good job on reflecting the mood and mindset that he was in. Yoko on the other hand, is suprisingly doing well.

A new character has joined the fray: Miss Nia!! Makes things even more interesting now that she's the Spiral King's daughter. Looks like she will have a very crucial role in this series. Especially when it comes to Simon. Hopefully next episode he will break of this rut.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 05:51 AM   #17   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Haven't checked out the new episode yet, capped for the month so I'll grab it on Friday, but I hear the new character is voiced by the actress who did Nono (Diebuster).

There's some comments floating around that came from the GAINAX Gurren-Lagann panel, the two big/important comments to come out of it are;
- because of the bad reception of episode 4, they won't be experimenting with animation style.
- if popular enough there will be a second season.

Bit dissapointed to hear about no more experimenting with new styles, I admit episode 4's style wasn't quite my cup of tea but even so I give them props for pushing the boundaries.

Second season, whilst would be nice, I'd rather a second season to happen because they have more material to cover, not just because they can.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 07:36 AM   #18   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Quite honestly, I though that TOO big of a deal was made on episode 4. I could understand if this was a continuing trend throughout the series. But with only 4 episodes in, I thought the ruckus was uncalled for. Being punished for trying to do something creative doesn't sit too well with me.

As for a second season....can't really say too much as were only 9 episodes in. I'd imagine that everything would be wrapped up by the last episode. I haven't known GAINAX to do a second season for any anime series, but if they were to do to so, then this would be the series. Well, I'm pretty sure we'll know once we get deeper into the episode count.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #19   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
So this is worth watching!

Added to my list.
Old 13-06-2007, 05:47 AM   #20   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

I've been watching Black Orders release of this (no clock ftw) and just watched 7 and 8... omfg i can't believe they did that. What the ---- is with ep 8 and amazing character deaths this season.

Best Gainax anime since Gunbuster off the first 8 eps alone, screw waiting for Black order time to watch the rest!!

Yoko is 14 btw.... WTF lol!!!!
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 06:00 PM   #21   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

God Damn!! This anime is fcuking awsome!!! Sh!t, I know I've said this before, but this is the best anime that GANAIX has put out in a long time. Probably one of the top three anime this season.

Well, had a chance to watch episodes 10 and 11. One thing that I immediately gathered from these episodes is that the Spiral King is a mean and cruel son of a b!tch. Just a ruthless man whom doesn't give a fcuk!! Let's face it, the guy is pure evil!! I love it. Another thing to, Nia nearly stole the show these last two episodes. She was able to give Simon comfort when no one else was really able to. Sucks that the Spiral King is her father....did I mention that he's a cruel son of a b!tch!

And Simon....I was waiting for this dude to snap out of it. Boy, did he do it in a big way! He was off the chain in episode 11. Definately could feel the raw energy and emotion from him. It was good to that Kamina also had more faith in Simon than he did in himself, which I was surprised to hear. It's more or less that they believed in each other which made their relationship so special. It was nice to see Simon break through like that and to whip som Ganmen a$$!! Was definately looking forward to that.

Now that Simon is back into the swing of things, it'll be interesting to see how the rest of this series will proceed. The next episode looks like more or less a fanservice episode, but with some action mixed in. That woman whom works for the Spiral King is one twisted b!tch. I hope Simon wipes the floor with her. All in all, every since Kamina died, the anime is definately picking up more and more steam. The sky is definately the limit for this series. Please don't mess this up GAINAX!!
Old 13-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #22   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

All i can say about ep 11 is... it's good to be the Helix King I really hope Yoko or Nia pilot the Gurren soon instead of big forehead guy....

What else is in your top 3? This series and Claymore seem to be the standouts and I say Claymore based on what I know is coming more than what has been shown.
Old 13-06-2007, 08:05 PM   #23   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

For Me it's

1. Death Note
2. Claymore
3. Gurren Lagaan

Sucks that Death Note is about to end soon, but I'm expecting one hell of an ending!! Claymore is definately up there because each episode gets better and better. Gurren Lagann is definately one of my favorites because this is an anime that pulls no punches whatsoever. Hopefully they keep this type of momentum throughout this series. Orochi X was mentioning something about a season 2 which leaves me curious on how this will end.
Old 14-06-2007, 03:54 AM   #24   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Here's some info on season 2 and other stuff

Quote:
I recently returned from Gainax's Gurren-Lagann panel. I didn't bring my video camera this time, so I'm typing this from memory.

First, they showed the episode one of Gurren-Lagann without subtitles, but I'm pretty sure almost everyone there had already seen it fansubbed. After the episode was over, Hiroyuki Yamaga said, "If you want to see what happens next... I don't care, watch a fansub or something." So there you go: WE ARE FULLY AUTHORIZED TO DOWNLOAD GURREN-LAGANN. Then, people could ask Yamaga about the show.

Some of the important statements follow:

-Because of the bad reaction to episode four, there will not be any more extreme experiments with the animation style, only the usual we used in FLCL.

-The planet Gurren-Lagann takes place on is Earth in the future.

-The mole pig stampede (one of Yamaga's favorite scenes, and mine as well), the crazy-looking animals, and the Gainax cameos were not scripted the way they ended up, but were the results of the animators going crazy.

-Apparently, in Japan, "boys like drills".

-And, finally, someone asked, "Is Yoko really 14?" to much laughter and applause. Yamaga responded that "As the series takes place underground, time may be measured differently. So a year underground may be different from what we consider to be a year." That was met with the most cheering I had heard at the panel yet. Personally, I think it's the best non-committal answer I've ever heard.

-The series is going to be 26 episodes and self-concluding, since over that would probably wear them out and shorter isn't enough to get in what they want

-They are currently recording Episode 21 (as of 5/27/2007) (OH SNAP!)

-Episode 6 (Hot Springs) that aired on TV isn't the complete episode. Due to airing requirements, they had to cut out some scenes. Though he did say that the uncut version will be on the DVD release

-Gurren-Lagann may have a sequel, but the plot would be completely new since episode 26 will be the "end" of Simon's story.
lmao at the response about Yokos age and the massive cheer following it.
Old 14-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #25   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Hmm...some VERY interesting news there. Although I'm wondering just how the story will continue without Simon however. Maybe a Nia or Yoko storyline perhaps...As Yoko being 14, I'm still having a hard time believing that. Since it's GAINAX though, I'm pretty sure she's 14. Yep, definately mature for her age....

I'm very surprised that GANAIX is pulling out all the stops for this series. If the storyline continues like this, then this could become an epic anime.
Old 25-06-2007, 09:16 PM   #26   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Wake up everyone!! Watched episodes 12 and 13. Seems like Simon is getting that Kamina swagger now! Nia is coming along pretty nicely, but her cooking is terrible!!! Of course Simon loves it. Poor guy! One thing that suprised me a bit was what Yoko told Simon in episode 13. I'm not so sure why she told Simon that she loved Kamina. Especially when Simon knew all along? Is it possible she's falling for Simon since's he's becoming more and more like Kamina? I can see it coming from a mile away, but of course I think Simon won't allow it to happen. Out of respect for Kamina obviously. Nia compliements Simon pretty nicely, so that's a more logical pair to me.

As for the bad guys....they have been taking some serious L's lately. Especially Viral. Losing his comrades one after another. And the Spiral King....that dude is insane!! His eyes give off a truly evil vibe from him. Like there isn't a single drop of goodness inside of him.

Well, I left some things out purposely for open discussion, but episode 14 looks like to be another "epic" episode. Can't wait for that one.
Old 26-06-2007, 04:19 PM   #27   [permalink]
Kaneda

in japan, boys like drills?

ive really enjoyed this series. i understand when you say it could be an epic anime... i believe that they have upgraded their gammen once again.

**Spoiler**

now they can fly? i wonder if they will end up in space? the spiral king seems to be on the ground. they havnt mentioned much about space except kamina saying that simon will go to the stars or whatever. if you think about it its an obvious forshadowing of whats going to happen. i cant wait for the next episodes.
Old 26-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #28   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Well to answer your question watch the first few minutes of episode 1
Old 26-06-2007, 10:39 PM   #29   [permalink]
Kaneda

hmm, mb. but that doesnt really prove anything to me.
Old 26-06-2007, 11:12 PM   #30   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

How many times at the start of an episode does the voice over say this is a story about a boys journey blah blah blah. Now Simon obviously loved Kamina and the Kamina looking person in the first scene is obviously Simon when he grows up.