Old 12-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #1   [permalink]
General Tso

reccomendations

Hi, I'm a fan of Japanese storytelling and characters found in some video games, but I recently realised I haven't actually seen very much anime.

So I would appreciate some suggestions according to my tastes. I prefer more mature themed plots and character development. And I don't mean mature as in necessarily violent etc. I prefer it to be shocking in terms of plot development and complexity. Thought provoking.

Here is some of what I have seen:

Ghost in the Shell - brilliant plot and subject matter.
Stand Alone Complex - great animation and captivating storyline/characters
Akira - astoundingly detailed animation, but I found the characters to be shallow and the plot to be fairly linear and typical. Disappointing.
Berserk - Probably my favorite anime I've seen.
Jin Roh - very cool. Well done theme.
Spirited Away - impressive animation and nonlinear plot, but perhaps not mature enough for my liking.
Princess Mononoke - just a very well done film. But his often leaving me wanting something something more for some reason, except for...
Howl's Moving Castle - An utter joy to watch.
Monster - I'm in the middle of this one. I find the ideas captivating, but there's lots of short-lived characters and stories. Fairly slow paced without a lot of complexity - so far. I'm hoping more will happen later.
Perfect Blue - I'm glad something like this can successfuly exist. Very interesting direction. Not my fav though.
Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal - Very solid. Great characters and action.

Thanks
General Tso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2007, 02:17 AM   #2   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Check out the rest of the Ghost in the Shell anime, there's another series of Stand Alone Complex and two more movies; Innocence and Solid State Society.

Seeing as you enjoy Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki movies, do check out the rest of them; Laputa Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service are two of my favourites.

Rurouni Kenshin TV series if you're wanting more Kenshin, it's more light hearted compared to the Samurai X OVA's but still enjoyable. Well all but the final story arcs.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2007, 02:55 AM   #3   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
If you like akira and ghost in the shell, I think you would probably like the patlabor movies as well. Mushishi deals with the supernatural much like studio Ghibli movies. Haven't seen Neon evangelion genesis in your list, which is almost a must on this forum. A little heavier and darker is "Now and then, Here and there".
Some other recommandation:
Argento Soma
Witch hunter Robin
Scryed
Gankutsuo
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2007, 03:29 PM   #4   [permalink]
General Tso

Thanks for the replies.

But I think I may be writing my initial post in a slightly miss-leading way.

I do like Ghost in the Shell (currently enjoying the 2nd season of SAC and will watch the other movies), but I did not like Akira, besides the level of detail in the animation.

I enjoy Studio Ghibli movies, but as I stated above, find most of them lacking something (except for Howl's, which I love).

I've heard that the Rurouni Kenshin TV series involves quite a bit of comedy, which is not a bad thing, but the comedy I've seen so far in anime has not appealed to me.

I'll probably eventually see Evangelion, simply because it's a "must see" for so many people.

Now and Then, Here and There has been suggested to me before, so I'll probably check that one out.

So, after clarification, do you still think:

Argento Soma
Witch hunter Robin
Scryed
Gankutsuo

apply as suggestions for me?
Old 13-05-2007, 03:54 PM   #5   [permalink]
Nokari
Forum Master

The Kyoto arc of the Rurouni Kenshin series is a lot more serious and devoloped than the rest of the series. You should check it out though.

Monster is by far one of my favorite series. It's so involving that half the episodes left me with chills, particularly the last episode. Definately stick with finishing this one.

Rahxephon is another psychological/action thriller. Very well done. If you decide to watch the series, make sure to see the movie right after.

Death Note. One of the smartest anime dramas I've ever seen. Definately a must for people only interested in mature, dynamic plots.

Last Exhile. Another fantasy/action/drama worth seeing.

Le Chevalier D'eon. The story takes place in the period just before the French Revolution. Centered around a knight (D'eon De Beaumont) and his 3 companions, they search for clues to D'eon's sister's murder (Lia De Beaumont). The story revolves around a book called the King's Psalm and how it will fortell the future. After Lia's death, her spirit attached itself to D'eon and when he encounters certain people or is near death, her spirit takes over his body and fights. It's about trust, betrayal, loyalty, and honor. A great story if you're interested in period action/dramas.
Old 13-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #6   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by General Tso
I enjoy Studio Ghibli movies, but as I stated above, find most of them lacking something (except for Howl's, which I love).
Have you seen Grave of the Fireflies? It's a Studio Ghibli movie, but not directed by Miyazaki. It has virtually no fantasy element to it, and deals with harsh reality for two children in WWII, with focus on character development. IMO, it is the most "mature" anime ever; hence, I highly recommend it.

I would also recommend Laputa. Looking past some of the more frivolous moments, the story has "mature" themes such as the tension between logic vs emotions. Less fantasy than Spirited Away, and although the themes aren't too original, the way they are portrayed is IMO.

I'll probably eventually see Evangelion, simply because it's a "must see" for so many people.
Despite the shallow elements in Evangelion, I would recommend seeing it as well. Also, I think it is best to see it knowing as little as possible about it from websites, other people etc., because it makes the plot much more intriguing and unpredictable.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #7   [permalink]
General Tso

The last few episodes (late 30s) that I've watched of Monster have been greeat. I'm completely sucked in now. It just took a while to start peeling back the show's conceptual layers.

Rahxephon sounds alright. I hear that the ending is a letdown. Does the movie help in that regard?

I plan on seeing Death Note as it has been suggested to me before. I've heard good things about Le Chevalier D'eon too.

I saw the first disc of Last Exile and was pretty disappointed. Cool CG animation flight sequences and perhaps an intriguing setting, but boring characters, lame plot and horrible writing. It felt overly childish to me.

I have seen Grave of the Fireflies and did indeed find it mature, and I can often get into a somber theme, but again, this Studio Ghibli film just wasn't quite my thing.

I'll try to take your advice about watching Evangelion.
Old 13-05-2007, 07:34 PM   #8   [permalink]
Unlikely Fan

My recs:

Evangelion- I think that this is the greatest anime of all time, but I do acknowledge that just because I like it doesn't mean that everyone will.

Voices of a Distant Star- I think it's great, even though it's only 20 mins long and was entirely made by one person on his computer!

The Place Promised in our Early Days- The feature-length movie made by the same dude as the above.

Paprika- absolutely lovely, pretty psychological.

Gungrave- I didn't think that they could make an anime based on a game and make it worth crap...boy was I wrong. If you like mob movies, check it out!

Mermaid's Scar- This one's older and also harder to find, but it deals with some interesting issues.

Cowboy Bebop- I think that there are three animes that everyone MUST see: Akira, Eva, and Bebop.

Texchnolyze- VERY dark, VERY psychological/philosophical, but also VERY slow for the first 4-7 episodes. Contains the most depressing thing I've ever seen in its ending.

Elfen Lied- If you can get past LOADS of blood, then this one is pretty decent.

FLCL- Very fun, but doesn't make a lot of sense and doesn't try to!

Paranoia Agent- very weird, but pretty good.

Total Number of Series Watched: 27
Favorite Anime: Evangelion (Hands Down)
Least Fav: Naruto
Currently Watching: Bleach
Unlikely Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2007, 03:36 AM   #9   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Thanks for the replies.

But I think I may be writing my initial post in a slightly miss-leading way.

I do like Ghost in the Shell (currently enjoying the 2nd season of SAC and will watch the other movies), but I did not like Akira, besides the level of detail in the animation.

I've heard that the Rurouni Kenshin TV series involves quite a bit of comedy, which is not a bad thing, but the comedy I've seen so far in anime has not appealed to me.

Now and Then, Here and There has been suggested to me before, so I'll probably check that one out.

So, after clarification, do you still think:

Argento Soma
Witch hunter Robin
Scryed
Gankutsuo

apply as suggestions for me?
Let me start with the most recent one I have seen. Gankutsuo is based off of Alexander Dumas "the count of monte Cristo", a story about betrayall and vengeance, compelling storytelling and eye for detail. Speaking of this I suddenly remembers another anime I would recommend, based off of a Kurosawa movie The seven samurai, title of the anime: Samurai 7.
Witch hunter robin is about people with superpowers who hunt other with people with powers, many people with hidden agenda's and you don't know who is friend or who is foe.
Argento soma, is about an astronaut whom just want to go home, except the way he is doing it is in a rather perculiar manor, along the line a lot of people tries to stop him from getting to his destination causing massive destruction all over the world.
Scryed is another one about superpowers, but underneath its the struggle of the underclass versus the estabilisment, poor versus rich, mutations and human experimentations, vengeance, the struggle to survive, the search for the meaning of life.

Another one that I thought is pretty good is Suzumiya Haruhi no yuutsu, looks like a random anime which mocks itself, but its more than meets the eye. Just decribing it would not do it justice, best if you see for yourself.

Last edited by Takahashi; 14-05-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 04:33 PM   #10   [permalink]
PTRMAN

I'm still a noob too, but

I've seen most of the Ghibli work and find it enjoyable (maybe not real deep, but still worth watching). Also seen NGE (still haven't gotten around to the movies), Lain (I just didn't really get it, but the last scene was great), FMA (just finished - loved Ed's determination and confidence).

I too am looking for recs - Cowboy Bebop and Samuari X are up next. I'll check out some of the others already recommended in this thread.

I'm relying on the Netflix library so my choices are somewhat limited. Any recommendations for the Gundam series? If so, where to start? Not sure I can find the series that began in 1979.
PTRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 08:04 PM   #11   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
School Rumble was pretty good. If you like that one, also to consider is Itchigo Marshmallow, Honey and Clover

I did like the original Ghost in the Shell the follow-up series are much too shallow when compared to the original for them to have the same impact. The original was what inspired the movie The Matrix.

Voices of a Distant Star, The Place Promised in our Early Days were very good.

Now and Then, Here and There is one of the best series ever made.

FLCL is nicely weird, Elfen Lied is bloody weird, worth seeing.

'Bebop and Samuari X are on most recommended lists. Worth seeing.

Haven't seen Paprika yet. It's on my list.
Old 18-06-2007, 01:35 PM   #12   [permalink]
Tenkawa
Executive Member

Couple of additional suggestions:

So if you liked Samurai X - you might want to check out Afro Samurai

Here's a quick review i found on it:

http://www.film.com/dvds/story/dvdts...reets/14953385

Truthfully, the anime (5 episodes) is a little deeper than the reviewer implies, but I suspect part of that is so there's no spoilers which i hate. Anyway, its like one part kill bill with one part fight club... with lots of action.

Definitely have to agree with Elfen Lied as a great anime and Les Chevalier is also worth seeing:

http://www.film.com/dvds/story/dvdle...anime/13658329

I've seen the first two DVDs and the third is sitting on my coffee table waiting for some time to be watched.
Tenkawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #13   [permalink]
Kaneda

I'd recommend Desert Punk and Eflen Lied.
Old 18-06-2007, 07:50 PM   #14   [permalink]
z80

If you like a more mature story with a complex plot and some shocks and twists and an emotional rollercoaster you have to see Kanon. I recommend the 2002 series which is 13 eps + a special, but the new 2006 26 ep series is good too. I just thought the 2002 one had less holes in it.
Old 19-06-2007, 04:01 AM   #15   [permalink]
Kaneda

Is Trigun a must see as well? I wouldn't say that its popularity rivals that of Evangelion but I thought the story was great. Just curious...