Old 20-12-2007, 07:38 AM   #1   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

AbareBobSeaby, Welcome to AnimeBoards!

To encourage a more proactive, entrepreneurial approach in order to "drum up more business", I will make welcome threads for new members, so that they can sit back and relax and not put fingers to keyboards.

Hi AbareBobSeaby!

Welcome to our AB community (all 30 of us; only about 10 of us post)! We are very interested in your motivations in joining AB. What are your favourite anime? Also, what is your initial impression of AB? BTW, that's an unusual username there; care to enlighten us as to its origins? Hope to see you posting more!

Last edited by John Faulkner; 20-12-2007 at 07:43 AM.
Old 25-12-2007, 12:13 PM   #2   [permalink]
Wolfpac
Senior ---------: V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to Wolfpac Send a message via AIM to Wolfpac Send a message via MSN to Wolfpac Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfpac
You are really trying hard to keep this place going, aren't you John. I hope it works, I really do. But maybe a PM would be more personal and be a better way to get a new member to be active rather than hoping that they see a thread about them in the Intro Forum. If you can strike up a friendship with them, they will be more inclined to return rather than being a one hit wonder.
Old 28-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #3   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Maybe if we had POKEMON Forum we might get some business.

Although I'll give points to Johnny for trying.
-Bishop Oro
Old 28-12-2007, 06:25 PM   #4   [permalink]
AnkaraStark
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to AnkaraStark Send a message via AIM to AnkaraStark Send a message via MSN to AnkaraStark
Originally Posted by Black_Knight
Maybe if we had POKEMON Forum we might get some business.
What, an influx of 8-10 year olds?

Irish Diplomacy: The ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to the trip.
Old 28-12-2007, 06:30 PM   #5   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by AnkaraStark
What, an influx of 8-10 year olds?
The anime series premiered in 1998 (US), so these 8-10yr olds would now be about 17-19. A POKEMON forum would offer serious nostalgic value and reflection on childhood thoughts about Pokemon which have matured into practical values for the coming of age period. A perfect gambit for people to join up and post.
Old 31-12-2007, 04:32 AM   #6   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by John Faulkner
The anime series premiered in 1998 (US), so these 8-10yr olds would now be about 17-19. A POKEMON forum would offer serious nostalgic value and reflection on childhood thoughts about Pokemon which have matured into practical values for the coming of age period. A perfect gambit for people to join up and post.
A nice thought ... but if nostalgia was the critical ingredient, then it has failed for such hailed and lauded series such as NGE, Cowboy Bebop, DragonBall, Rouroni Kenshin to name a few.

I am thinking that the problems are more basic -

1. Anime is no longer a fringe phenomenon that is cutting edge and new. Ironically, the success of Anime in the West has, I believe, saturated the market to the point of being mundane and passe. In general, fans don't need forums to express themselves to other "pioneers" ... when all the neighborhood kids see anime commonly on tv - to the point of having dedicated channels running it 24/7.

2. IMO stagnation of the industry in its formulaic approach and transparent motivations in regards to money and commercialization.

3. Each progressive generation is becoming more "sophisticated" and jaded in their expectations of entertainment ... because there is so much of it, and in so many forms.

4. The logistical problems (for AB in partcular) typical for the "Generation Gap" The older members (myself included) may be finding it harder to maintain a sense of wonder and enchantment with anime for the simple reason that ... "its all been done before".

Contrast this with the next generation that truly sees it as being new... I am thinking that the younger crowd is looking for a more "fluid" and spontaneous mode of interaction, with less rules, and a more compatible age demographic ... which usually promotes more alignment in basic perceptions and views.

Now, the point of nostalgia is a good one, but even that can pall in time - especially as the indivual grows older and more experienced. In general, from what I have seen, youth equates to energetic chaos, while age imparts a progressively a greater desire for order and uniformity.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:42 PM   #7   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by SamIam
1. Anime is no longer a fringe phenomenon that is cutting edge and new. Ironically, the success of Anime in the West has, I believe, saturated the market to the point of being mundane and passe. In general, fans don't need forums to express themselves to other "pioneers" ... when all the neighborhood kids see anime commonly on tv - to the point of having dedicated channels running it 24/7.
Point that anime is less esoteric nowadays is taken. High school kids may well prefer to chatter away in the flesh, but what of the older demographic? Overall socially less acceptable as a topic in the professional workplace and in adult circles, together with the increased social awareness of anime (in the US anyway), a forum could be the place to go to talk.

And consider the "benefits" of a forum: potentially a greater number of replies in a shorter amount of time and more topics to get involved in. And for people who have no time to complete a detailed conversation in one go, the opportunity to come and go as one pleases.

2. IMO stagnation of the industry in its formulaic approach and transparent motivations in regards to money and commercialization.
I agree this is an issue for certain series, although I haven't really seen much anime recently, so can't say whether this is an industry wide stagnation in creativity. I started watching Planetes (created 2003-4) lately and was pleasantly surprised at its originality (at any rate, different from what I have seen before).

3. Each progressive generation is becoming more "sophisticated" and jaded in their expectations of entertainment ... because there is so much of it, and in so many forms.
This I'm not sure about. How are consumers becoming more "sophisticated"? Films like Transformers seem to do well by having a tired plot, albeit with fancy graphics. Naruto is doing well too.

4. The logistical problems (for AB in partcular) typical for the "Generation Gap" The older members (myself included) may be finding it harder to maintain a sense of wonder and enchantment with anime for the simple reason that ... "its all been done before".
Although not as old as you, I've certainly lost a good degree of wonder and enchantment with anime. But could it be because we're not looking hard enough? Also, I do retain some sense of wonder. For example, they showed some Studio Ghibli films on terrestrial TV for the first time recently (including Nausicaa at an unbelievably early time of ~6am). I saw Princess Mononoke dubbed for the first time and the setting still generated some sense of wonder, especially with the current tensions between humans and resource use, which are projected to become a major issue over the next century.

Contrast this with the next generation that truly sees it as being new... I am thinking that the younger crowd is looking for a more "fluid" and spontaneous mode of interaction, with less rules, and a more compatible age demographic ... which usually promotes more alignment in basic perceptions and views.
Well, you have your chat-rooms, msn messenger and so forth. Some thoughts:

a) Can we identify advantages of messageboards over these other media, for the younger crowd?
b) What about older viewers?
c) If we can identify advantages for the old and younger crowds, what can we do to use these advantages to increase activity at AB?

Now, the point of nostalgia is a good one, but even that can pall in time - especially as the indivual grows older and more experienced. In general, from what I have seen, youth equates to energetic chaos, while age imparts a progressively a greater desire for order and uniformity.
How about using nostalgia as a draw as part of a wider strategy? Nostalgia to draw people in and then together with something else to make people stay? Even now, after 15-20yrs, if someone mentions "The Real Ghostbusters" in a thread, that would get my attention. May be not for long, but it will be enough for me to "check it out".

Last edited by John Faulkner; 08-01-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #8   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Okay you're turning a welcome thread into a debate, what the ----...
-Bishop Oro
Old 10-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #9   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Okay you're turning a welcome thread into a debate, what the ----...
That's because this ------- Abearblobbyseal didn't bother turning up to reply.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:05 AM   #10   [permalink]
Schizm
V.I.P. Member

Maybe you scared them away

My n00b=ADdispatcher
Old 11-01-2008, 04:10 AM   #11   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Originally Posted by Schizm
What he said
-Bishop Oro
Old 14-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #12   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by Schizm
What he said
I'd like to see you two make welcome threads and do any better.
Old 14-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #13   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

I might take you up on that offer...
-Bishop Oro
Old 14-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #14   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Mecha454
How come according to Black Night all of AB's problems exist because we don't have a pokemon forum?

-Sosuke Sagara

"We have begun third impact!"

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Old 15-01-2008, 12:13 AM   #15   [permalink]
Schizm
V.I.P. Member

GO back a few years in the archives and you'll see how well we did

My n00b=ADdispatcher