Old 08-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #1   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Recommendations for a newcomer

I've been out of the scene for several years and have an open-minded friend I want to expose to more anime.

So far, I've only shown her FLCL and while it took a day to sink in, she ended up really enjoying it. That's kinda the style I'm looking to show her (and see myself): very quirky, stimulating, visually grabbing, but meaty series.

Provided we don't get utterly sidetracked with watching the Twin Peaks DVDs I bought her for Christmas, I was likely to move on to Cowboy Bebop next.

For reference, I own:

Tenchi Muyo! Ultimate Edtion OVA box set
Serial Experiments Lain
Record of Lodoss War OVA box set
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Rurouni Kenshin, episodes 1-56 and the first two OVAs (Samurai X)
Neon Genesis Evangelion, TV series and movies
Akira
Dragonball Z, several Sagas and several movies
Utena: The Movie
Berserk
Love Hina volumes 1 and 2
Jin-Roh
Escaflowne, TV series and movie
FLCL
Boogiepop Phantom
Tokyo Grandfathers
Old 08-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #2   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
The movie TekkonKinkreet was fantastic and probably one of the best things I've seen in awhile. Though I haven't seen the whole thing, if you can find a copy of the movie MindGame, which is by the same studio as TekkonKinkreet, I recommend that as well. I don't know how much you and/or your friend would go for the Saturday Morning Cartoon for adults vibe but I'll stand by Giant Robo any day of the week. Also, it's not quite anime but you might as well watch Aeon Flux. Seriously why not?
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #3   [permalink]
Unlikely Fan

Gungrave--one of my favorites...actually based off of a video game, but it's still great.

Texchnolyze--if she likes Lain, she'll love this. It's made by practically the same people. Might be too slow at first for a person who hasn't watched a lot of anime, you might want to watch it first.

Total Number of Series Watched: 27
Favorite Anime: Evangelion (Hands Down)
Least Fav: Naruto
Currently Watching: Bleach
Unlikely Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #4   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Forgot to mention seeing Tokyo Grandfathers, Satoshi Kon's tv series Paranoia Agent and the movie Paprika which is supposed to be pretty good.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:09 PM   #5   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

I'll put in a word here for Planetes: I've only seen 4 episodes so far but it seems to have some interesting characters and several plot-lines have potential. It's nowhere near as quirky or OTT as FLCL, but from what I've seen, there is a much greater focus on character development. The setting is space and it tells of the exploits of a team who clears "space debris" (something like the space equivalent of garbage collectors). So far, there's a good mix of realism and humour.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 08-01-2008 at 08:11 PM.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:28 AM   #6   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
I'm not sure if distribution is different in Australia, but it's going to be hard to get some of those titles you suggested in the States because the distributor has shut down operation. Pioneer/Geneon to be precise.
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #7   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Quote:
Says Project Akira:
The movie TekkonKinkreet...the movie MindGame...Giant Robo...Aeon Flux...tv series Paranoia Agent...the movie Paprika.
Thanks for the pointers towards the first two. I'm very familiar with Aeon Flux but haven't watched every episode and I'd forgotten how well it fits my criteria (and it doesn't hurt that this friend is not afraid of displays of the female form). I'll have to look into Giant Robo. I've caught snippets of Paranoia Agent on TV and didn't experience enough to form an opinion. One of my friends immediately recommended Paprika when I brought this topic up, so I've got the check that out as well.

Quote:
Says Unlikely Fan:
Gungrave...Texchnolyze
Do you think if she likes Trigun she'll like Gungrave? Are there any substantial similarities between the two?

I'll definitely show her Lain at some point. I've been criminal in not seeing Texhnolyze considering how much I enjoyed Lain, so that's a logical choice as well.

Quote:
Says John Faulkner:
...Planetes...
Awesome, that sounds pretty good.

Thanks, folks!
Old 12-01-2008, 05:57 AM   #8   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Basically anything by studio Ghibli / Hayao Miyazaki.

Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro, Nausicaa of the Valley, Princess Mononoke, Porco Rosso.

Personally I would have thought FLCL is a bit of a hard sell. Good luck finding your friend's taste. I tried getting my girlfriend into anime but after discovering one of her favourites was "Elfen Lied" I decided I really didn't wanna know.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #9   [permalink]
Unlikely Fan

Drizz, forgive me but I've never seen Trigun...but I think it's similar to Cowboy Bebop in that it's more of a space-outlaw theme?

Gungrave is kind of told like a Quentin Tarantino movie, not in chronological order. It's a mob-anime that focusses more on how power corrupts, blind ambition is often bad, and loyalty. Its got some good action, but it's mostly a character-driven story.

Total Number of Series Watched: 27
Favorite Anime: Evangelion (Hands Down)
Least Fav: Naruto
Currently Watching: Bleach
Unlikely Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #10   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Have you seen Grenadier? Trigun is like a super awesome "Rurouni Kenshin with guns and less gay" anime. Its a great anime for introducing people.
Old 14-01-2008, 11:23 AM   #11   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Quote:
Says PKO:
Basically anything by studio Ghibli / Hayao Miyazaki.
Yep, good advice. I know she'd dig the cutsey characters along with the subject matter.

Quote:
Have you seen Grenadier?
Nope. Got a synopsis?

Quote:
Says Unlikely Fan:
Drizz, forgive me but I've never seen Trigun...but I think it's similar to Cowboy Bebop in that it's more of a space-outlaw theme?
It's somewhat odd. I often hastily lump the two together when thinking about anime, but when I stop to think about them they are significantly different. Trigun's Vash the Stampede is more like Rurouni Kenshin than anyone from Bebop, Trigun's pacing is more traditionally linear than Bebop's somewhat episodic format, and Trigun's plot is dominated by humor for the first 2/3s of the series compared to the spattering found in Bebop.

Quote:
Gungrave is kind of told like a Quentin Tarantino movie, not in chronological order.[/ It's a mob-anime that focusses more on how power corrupts, blind ambition is often bad, and loyalty. Its got some good action, but it's mostly a character-driven story.
Sounds cool!
Old 14-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #12   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Mecha454
Definately show her Miyazaki. That's hands down. A little classic stuff like Record of Lodoss War would be a good intro as well. All in all it really depends on what genres mostly appeal to her. Cowboy Bebop should be a staple though. I would also suggest the Full Metal Panic series, its a great mixed series.

-Sosuke Sagara

"We have begun third impact!"

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Mecha454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 08:58 PM   #13   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Why do people say Record of Lodoss war? I tried watching that and I didn't wanna continue since halfway through the first episode. It was like watching animated lord of the rings.

What really really made it hard for me, was the exposition. It was like every single line was designed to rush a bunch of details into my head. "Yes..the dwarf and the elf don't get along. Yes this happened way back when... yes, ah here is the mysterious past element...booooring". So I really don't think thats a good opener.

In regards to Grenadier, its just a pleasant light-weight anime. The central characters are a woman whose ability with guns (and use of them) is on par with Vash the Stampede. Her mission is to spread peace and love throughout the world (which is currently engaged in endless war). She picks up a "disciple" of sorts. A samurai/swordsman who believes that killing is necessary but who is attracted to her ideas. They also get a child character forming the trio. There is light conspiracy to keep the ending interesting. I've watched it a number of times because its just that easy to watch. Kind of like a mix between Vash & Rurouni in terms of pacifist ideas, weapon skills and "magical" abilities due to "technique".
Old 15-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #14   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Quote:
Says PKO:
In regards to Grenadier...
Sounds good.
Old 19-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #15   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Since she is new to anime you should start with something light and humorous like Fruits basket, azumanga daioh, school rumble, honey and clover, most of the clamp studio, studio ghibli etc.
You say she kinda likes FLCL, then I suggest you give Tengen toppa gurren lagann a try.
Gungrave is more aimed at young males and probably not very suited for a female audience to start off with.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote