Old 21-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Exclamation Solty Rei

This is an anime worth noting. I don't know if I like it or not yet. I only saw disc 1, which contains episodes 1-6. Right now it can go either way.

The Maverick Hunter Agency, operated by Miranda Hunter and her young daughter, promises to find anything from a lost cat to a cat burglar -- guaranteed. Their top employee is bounty hunter Roy Revant, who is not too careful about bringing his bounties back in one piece. Roy has a chance run-in with a super-powered cyborg, later named Solty, who has no memory of who she is or from where she came. After following Roy around like a lost puppy, Solty becomes Roy's ward.

The series is a mixture of comedy and action, but it has a dark undertone. Roy is searching for his lost daughter. Gentle Solty is too innocent and trusting for her own good, but when angry she can lose control and become violent.

Comments? NO SPOILERS, PLEASE!
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 04:15 AM   #2   [permalink]
Stingray 67
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Stingray 67
I've only seen the first episode, so definitely no comments from me as of yet. I haven't bought any discs because tightening up my finances. I Did like it... just have to give it a little time.

"Brace yourselves.... The area of penetration will no doubt be sensitive." - Spock

Now supporting:
Brainfuzz
Stingray 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finished disc 2, episodes 7-10. These are all filler episodes. How can you have filler episodes in a short series? Well, they are entertaining enough. They do have comedy, action, violence and some nudity. But they do nothing to advance the overall plot, or at least what passes as the plot. What about Roy's daughter? What secrets lay in Solty's past? Nothing is done to push these story elements along. (Although episode 9 may contain a clue as to the identity of Roy's daughter. I have to wait and see.)

Anyway, one more disc to go. We'll see if anything develops.
Old 30-03-2008, 11:27 PM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I just finished disc 3, episodes 11-14.

First, a few corrections. This is a 6 disc set, not 3 as I previously stated. When I first put this on my Netflix list, they only had 3 discs. Now they have the complete set. I hope to get disc 4 on Tuesday and disc 5 by the end of the seek.

Also, what I thought was a clue to the identity of Roy's daughter in episode 9 was not a clue at all. False alarm.

Now about disc 3 -- Everything changes. We start off with a pretty good two-part story of a mad bomber who is out for revenge against Roy. By the end of the disc, things turn dark with the death of a major character. And Solty is not her usual cheerful self. This is starting to get interesting.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:26 PM   #5   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I just finished disc 4, episodes 15-18. I won't go into detail so not to accidentally post a spoiler.

Tragedy has driven Roy and Solty apart, but after painful soul searching, they get back together. Meanwhile, there is an unexpected plot twist. The real villian is revealed to us. Trusts are betrayed and people die.

The first 10 episodes were your average anime, but beginning with episode 11 Solty Rei just gets better and better.

I start on disc 5 this weekend.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:04 PM   #6   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Solty and Roy live in Dome Shell City, in which the registered citizens have all the advantages while the unregistered live underground with nothing and no future. It is all controled by the RUC -- a corporation designed to rule the world. But there is a plot within RUC to destroy this world, and Roy's daughter is in the middle of it.

I just completed disc 5, episodes 19-22. Roy and Solty have by now teamed up with a pair of thieves, and some former female RUC security officers who are now on the run. But Solty's past has caught up with her, and it may destroy her. But that is nothing compared to the destruction the human race may face due to a mad act of revenge.

One more disc to go.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #7   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Thumbs up

I just finished disc 6. It contains the final two episodes, plus an hour long bonus episode, which has nothing to do with the series' main plotline, and which I could have done without.

The series ends fairly well. There is one change I would have made. I will start a seperate thread on that since it will contain spoilers.

By now Solty has regained all of her prior memory. She knows who she is, where she came from and why. And she is now at full power. Solty, Roy and friends move to stop the threat to humanity coming from inside the RUC. But there is another threat that emerges -- one which is of an even greater danger that only Solty can confront by herself. And it does not look like she will be able to get back alive -- even if she is successful.

This is a pretty good series. I do recommend it. It has action, comedy, mystery and many dark moments. It is also about how people grow and develop, and the meaning of personal and family relationships. You just have to wait until episode 11 for things to really heat up.
Old 31-07-2008, 06:26 AM   #8   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
I also recommend this anime. Its not a grand piece of story telling, there are far too many 'convenient coincidences', however it is still a pretty damn good anime.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote