Old 12-05-2008, 12:23 AM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Cool Kaze no Yojimbo

This anime is supposed to be based on Akira Kurosawa's film Yojimbo. For those who never saw the movie, it takes place in 19th Century Japan -- a time when the country is opening to the west and changing. A masterless samurai, played by Tishiro Mafuni (sp?), wanders into a town where two rival warlords struggle for control. Each side tries to hire the samurai, but instead for his own amusement, he plays one side against the other while watching them destroy each other.

I just finished disc 1 of the anime (episodes 1-5). There is very little that reminds me of Kurosawa. The tale is updated to today. There is a stranger who walks into town, but nothing else that resembles the film. There are many subplots which are invented for the anime that are not in the movie.

Still this is an interesting show to watch. The artwork is good. Some of the animation is innovative, although some is below average. There are an awful lot of scenes in which there is no movement. The fight scenes are not done too well.

But the story is good, and the characters are interesting. I am going to stick with this one for a while.

Comments? AND NO SPOILERS!
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 10:29 AM   #2   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
What I like most about this series is the main character going with the flow attitude, no I need to save the world or fight unjustice you see everywhere nowadays, just a wanderer trying to get by and a healthy thirst for sake. I disagree about the fight scenes though as it was more realisticly drawn then most animes which shows people going at each other with hundreds of moves per seconds, the fights were swift, to the point, clean, without a move wasted, just like what you see in most kurusawa movies like the seven samurais or said yojimbo.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #3   [permalink]
DraniX
Forum Master

Yeah, definitely. I was thinking it and you said it, Taka. And it's good that you did because, truth be told, I couldn't have said it better myself.
"Disgusting."
DraniX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 11:23 PM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by Takahashi
I disagree about the fight scenes though as it was more realisticly drawn then most animes which shows people going at each other with hundreds of moves per seconds, the fights were swift, to the point, clean, without a move wasted, just like what you see in most kurusawa movies like the seven samurais or said yojimbo.
What moves? In the fight scenes, everyone mostly stands still!

Anyway, I expect to finish disc 2 tomorrow. I will be back with more comments after that.
Old 15-05-2008, 05:37 AM   #5   [permalink]
DraniX
Forum Master

Looking forward to it, Eminem.
"Disgusting."
Old 15-05-2008, 07:59 PM   #6   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Originally Posted by MeMyself
What moves? In the fight scenes, everyone mostly stands still!

Anyway, I expect to finish disc 2 tomorrow. I will be back with more comments after that.
You can feel the expertise in her wielding the katanna as she usually used the back of her blade for a final blow to not kill her opponents since there is really no hatred in the swing, as an profficient fighter she needs not waste any movements like, jumping or running everything is decided before the opponent even start to attack, you do see her often fend or dodge when her opponents is of a higher level than the common thug, but that comes in latter chapters.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 10:57 PM   #7   [permalink]
DraniX
Forum Master

Such vivid imagery. It touches me deeply.
"Disgusting."
Old 16-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #8   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finished disc 2, episodes 6-9. By the end of episode 6, I was starting to get into the series. There are about four different mysteries going on, which I am sure will be tied together by the end of the series. But episodes 7-9 were fillers that had nothing to do with the main narrative.

I really hate fillers. They break the flow of the storyline. I would much rather have them make this a short series than drag it out with a lot of non-related garbage.

But I already have disc 3. I will begin to take a look at that, although I don't have much time this weekend.
Old 21-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #9   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I've finished disc 3, episodes 10-13. The good news is that we are back on track with the storyline. Episode 13 is the best of the episodes so far. We are introduced to a new character, who I feel may turn out to be the real villian of the series. We also get a well animated fight scene for once.

One thing does bother me, and that is a continuity problem. There are some episodes in which George's relationship with the Ginzame family changes without explanation. Did they have various teams of writers working seperately on each episode? Well, it's just a minor point.

The series is getting interesting again. I will start disc 4 tonight.
Old 25-05-2008, 09:42 AM   #10   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finished disc 4, episodes 14-17.

The fuse has been lit. Things are about to explode.

There are still some continuity problems with minor plot points, but we are finally getting some well animated fight scenes.

Netflix is a bit slow in getting disc 5 to me. I hope to get it by the end of this week.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #11   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finally got disc 5 and watched the next 4 episodes. Blood is flowing, and George has figured everything out. But the previews indicate something tragic is about to happen.

Netflix has had disc 6 on "very long wait" for about a month. But they finally had a free copy, just not locally. It is supposed to be mailed out to me tomorrow, and I will probably get it Monday or Tuesday. Meanwhile, I will start on another Kurosawa inspired anime -- Samurai Seven.
Old 16-07-2008, 02:13 PM   #12   [permalink]
crimson2

If you had to rate it out of 100 then what would you give it? I havent seen it and want to know what everyone thinks before watching it.
crimson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #13   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

On a scale of 5, I rate the series a 4. So on a scale of 100, I give it an 80.

Mind you I still haven't seen the final four chapters.
Old 29-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #14   [permalink]
crimson2

Would you say its worth watching?
crimson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #15   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Yes, it is worth watching.

If you watch it, come back here and let me know how it ends. I still can't get the last disc from Netflix.