Old 29-08-2008, 12:09 AM   #16   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I can follow the story well enough. I know what the characters are all talking about and who is who. But if you quized me afterwards on all the terms and titles, I would draw a blank. Just as long as the characters keep it straight, and I watch each episode at least twice, I can figure it out enough.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 03:33 AM   #17   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
It gets a bit confusing due to the major stories each occurring hundreds of years apart. When you watch the series a second time you'll pick up on a few details that seemed meaningless initially.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #18   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Well, I just finished disc 5. Disc 5 finishes up the story of Kaname/Taiki, but not without creating a new mystery -- which I assume will be resolved. Disc 5 also contains a recap episode, which gives a few details left out of the earlier episodes and gives a hint as to what is to come. Although much of the recap is just redundancy. The disc ends with episode 22, a filler which updates us as to Youko and her friends.

So I am half-way through the series. So far, I like it. But anyone who likes lots of action may find it dull.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #19   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finally finished disc 6, episodes 23-26. The disc Netflix first sent me was defective. I got the replacement, but then was out of town for a long weekend.

Forget all that.

In disc 6, the storyline changes again. We meet two new characters. There's Suzu, a peasant from medival Japan who is swept away to the world of the 12 Kingdoms, is granted immortality, but lives as a slave.

Then there is Shoukei, the daughter of one of the more evil rulers of the 12 Kingdoms. Oh, Shoukei's father means well enough -- he just kills thousands upon thousands of his own people. When one of the noblemen rebels, he kills Shoukei's parents, takes away her immortality and condemns her to life as a commoner.

Both girls are supposed to resemble Youko, but I don't see it. Anyway, Youko is losing it again.

SPOILER FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT SEEN THE FIRST 12 EPISODES: Youko is now the Queen of Kei, which put her life in even more danger.

The series is becoming even more interesting, and a bit darker. I am definitly going to see this one through.

BTW, if anyone can answer this question without a spoiler, why is the Lord of Kei called the Lord of Kei when he does not live in the Kingdom of Kei? He is supposed to be in the province of Kei, but why would one country have a province with the same name as another country?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:58 AM   #20   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
God i wish they would make more of this series i really loved it!!!

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #21   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I forgot to add that there are a few elements to Shoukei's story which are not apparent in the English dub, but which you can only get in the English subtitles of the Japanese dub.
Old 13-09-2008, 11:36 PM   #22   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I have finished disc 7 and have gotten through episode 30. It was a false alarm on Youko. She's not losing it, although she does have reason to be paranoid. Shoukei on the other hand is a bit psycho. And an old friend of Youko has shown up -- a bit on the insane side and with a gun. I can't tell you who it is without it being a spoiler. It is hard to say anything at this point without it being a spoiler.
Old 15-09-2008, 03:57 AM   #23   [permalink]
DraniX
Forum Master

But then again, it doesn't really matter I guess. Since these aren't necessarily following a strict linear path.
"Disgusting."
DraniX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 12:14 AM   #24   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finished disc 8, the next 5 episodes. People are trying to kill Youko. Innocent people are being killed instead. And the naked lady with wings makes a brief appearance. I think that Youko is going to taker her shopping so she can get some clothes.

The story continues to get interesting, but some of the more interesting potential conflicts don't seem to take place. I'll try to explain after I finish the series. I have two more discs to go.
Old 18-09-2008, 06:48 PM   #25   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
In our world, our place names are culturally derived. So you can avoid having the same names for different places. Without that dynamic environment however, I guess I'd consider the land of the 12 kingdoms to be rather static. There is 1 culture, and then there is the king and our world washovers who affect it further.

They seem to enjoy a 1 syllable naming convention, so their options are possibly limited. Again though, just consider how regions in the world have same city names etc whenever the same people come up with the naming. The 12 kingdoms has 1 language, 1 people.
Old 19-09-2008, 05:42 PM   #26   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki View Post
They seem to enjoy a 1 syllable naming convention. . . .
Where do they hold these conventions? Las Vegas perhaps?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Old 24-09-2008, 11:01 PM   #27   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Getting serious again. . . .

I just finished disc 9, episodes 36-40. There is more action on this disc than the other 8 combined. People are killed, including a few close to Youko. The whole series seems to wrap up with episode 39, but then they tack on episode 40 with another story to come.

Episode 40 serves to tie up the loose ends from Shoukei's story. It also seems to start a new story about King En's past.

Anyway, one more disc to go.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #28   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Thumbs up

I've finished up disc 10, the last five episodes. These deal with a story from early in the reign of King En, when everyone doubted his ability to be a king -- including his Kiren Rokuta/Enki (he goes by a few names, just like many characters in the series).

King En and Enki are my two favorite characters in the series. I like the way that Enki stands up to the king, although he is always loyal and has the king's best interests at heart.

I am disappointed that they did not get back to Taiki's story. Why did he leave his king, and what happened to that king? It seems that there is an entire story yet to be told.

Anyway, I still recommend this series. It was entertaining and interesting. There were a few times I thought it would go in an intirely different direction, and a few times I thought they passed up a few more interesting plot twists, but the series is not as dark as I first thought it would be.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:57 PM   #29   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
GIVE ME MORE DAMMIT /cry

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:32 AM   #30   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Yeh, I wanted to see an end to that one too.

I rather liked the character development of Youko though. Of all the anime I've seen where a normal person is placed in extraordinary circumstances, her behaviour seems most consistent with what I would expect. Which isnt to say I expect realism but rather its refreshing to be able to empathise with how freaked out someone would be from the experience...unlike that dumbass in Inuyasha who does the heroine routine and assumes she is still invincible and safe.

She became a good queen too, I thought. Hell of a journey.