Old 07-10-2008, 04:28 AM   #31   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
I totally agree with you there I just wish they would have finished the series or at least gave some better closure

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:16 PM   #32   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki View Post
Yeh, I wanted to see an end to that one too.

I rather liked the character development of Youko though. Of all the anime I've seen where a normal person is placed in extraordinary circumstances, her behaviour seems most consistent with what I would expect. Which isnt to say I expect realism but rather its refreshing to be able to empathise with how freaked out someone would be from the experience...unlike that dumbass in Inuyasha who does the heroine routine and assumes she is still invincible and safe.

She became a good queen too, I thought. Hell of a journey.
Plus unlike that dumbass in Inuyasha, Youko dresses according to the situation.

BTW, careful of the spoilers for those who have not seen the series.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #33   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by cool2burn View Post
I totally agree with you there I just wish they would have finished the series or at least gave some better closure
There are additional novels in the series which, as I understand it, were not included in the anime. I don't know why they stopped.

Anyway, there are other storylines I can think of to continue the series.

WARNING! There may be some spoilers below!

Additional Storyline 1:
Back in Japan, we see Kaname and Yuka together. Yuka is helping Kaname adjust to his "normal" life. He has stopped painting scenes from the 12 Kingdoms. This scene opens with Yuka posing for him. It is clear that they are in love. But then Enki shows up. He has finally found the missing Kiren. Kaname remembers that he is really Taiki, and that he must return to the 12 Kingdoms to re-establish his king to the throne. Yuka wants to go with him, but is a Kiren permitted to be in love with a human?

Additional Storyline 2:
The substitute king of Hou (I forget his name), learns that a new Kiren of Hou has been born. After a few years, he meets the Kiren. Eager to give the throne up to the legitamate king, the sub pressures the Kiren to find the new king quickly. The Kiren does find the next king, but he is a child. The Kiren is still a child himself, and wants to wait a few years before revealing the new ruler.

Additional Storyline 3:
Those corrupt officials of Kei who had lost their jobs plot revenge against Youko. They send a skilled assassin to take care of her using one of those weapons that can kill a sen-se (sp?). Now one of two things could happen. Youko is badly injured, but survives for now. As her life hangs in the balance, she plans from her sick bed to save her kingdom from the traitors, even if it means spilling more blood. Or, Suzu is killed saving Youko's life, and Youko plans not only to save her kingdom but also plots revenge. In either case, she risks losing her true self. (This storyline does vary a bit from the spirit of the show, but Youko has killed already.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:57 PM   #34   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Holy crap, thats' awesome.

And I totally agree that the way the girl dresses in Inuyasha is just frustrating. Why the hell would you wear a school uniform in the middle of the wilderness in an age where it'd cause you trouble?
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:07 PM   #35   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I think the whole idea of Kagome's school girl uniform was to endulge the fantasies of a few of the more sick male viewers. If they wanted to do that, then why stop the nude scenes after less than a third of the series? Oddly enough, she wore jeans at home.

But getting back to the 12 Kingdoms, looking at Storyline 1, are the Kings, Queens and Kirens allowed to have romances or to fall in love? I know that the Kings and Queens are not allowed children, unless they had children before they assumed the throne. King En did visit a brothel, but only to gamble -- and to observe the state of his kingdom. It seems that the rulers and the Kirens have a life of celebacy.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:06 PM   #36   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Uhm, children dont come from sex in 12 Kingdoms..so we don't know that they were celibate.
It might be just too hard to meet a lover after becoming immortal because after a while, mortals would seem so petty.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #37   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Yes, children are born on trees. And conception has nothing to do with sex. It's one of the plot points I had a hard time accepting.

As for a mortal being petty, they could always become a sen-se (sp?). Somehow, people could be switched back and forth from being a regular human to being a sen-se. That's another plot point that may have been stretched a bit.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:23 AM   #38   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Been a while since I watched and I can't speak Japanese, but I think it might be "Sen-nin" or something..Senin maybe..

I had no problems with the children born on trees of the assignation of immortality. The twelve kingdoms is pretty much order itself. The borders are all equal portions of the world. The rulers are all prepicked using the same methods etc. Considering that many people used to pray to fertility gods for children, it doesnt seem a stretch for me to imagine that such an ordered world would have such an ordered system. Ditto immortality..if the gods themselves walk amongst men, then their powers would also be controlled.
Old 13-10-2008, 12:36 AM   #39   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

But since all children are born from trees, and not all people are immortal, being born from a tree does not make one immortal. They have to be registered by the government as a Sen-se. In the case of Shoukei, her status as an immortal was revoked.
Old 13-10-2008, 03:07 AM   #40   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

You seem to be misunderstanding something.

The Senin are just like you and me...except that they wont age. If you exist in a world where everything is ordered, then everything happens for a reason. If it happens for a reason then someone somewhere must be controlling the choices. Therefore its not really that hard to understand that a deity chosen king's stamp can provide or revoke immortality. The person doesn't physically change, I guess you'd say that their name is formally removed from the book of 'aging'.

Had Youko never entered the Twelve Kingdoms (land of order), she'd have aged as well I'm quite sure. Once she became Queen though, her aging was halted...not through changing her genetics but simply by disabling time's effects on her body.
Old 15-10-2008, 07:49 PM   #41   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Calling them immortals is the wrong word. They can be killed through violence with special weapons, but they don't die of natural causes. That one character, the nobleman who was overthrown by his son, was in prison and not fed for years, but he did not die of starvation.

I don't recall a "book of aging." There is a registry of Senins, Sen-si's or whatever you want to call them. It seems that once you are registered as a Senin, you are one. And when your name is taken out, such as what happened to Shoukei, you are just a normal person again.

Anyway, my question is still unanswered. Do the people of the 12 Kingdoms have sex? All they have to do to have a child is to tie a ribbon onto the tree. (It sort of takes care of any parental questions, doesn't it?) When they tie the ribbon together, do their genetic codes get mixed together into a new baby? Probably not, since how would two people give birth to a rat?
Old 16-10-2008, 02:01 AM   #42   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Science does not really exist as such in twelve kingdoms. In the other world (our world) it does, because we do not live in an ordered world. Stop looking for a scientific explanation, the poetic one is right there.

Whether they have sex or not I do not know, I imagine they do, just not for procreation.
Immortals is the correct word. Many sources often have "immortals" being beings that can die. Immunity to age and hunger is quite commonly referred to as immortal, whether its vampire or demon.
Old 17-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #43   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I'm not going to split hairs about what is an "immortal." And maybe I am trying to make too much sense of a fantasy.

Still, I would like to see a storyline that gives us a view of romance as practiced in the 12 Kingdoms.

Obviously, there must be sex because the King of En did visit a brothel -- although he was only gambling as a cover to see what was really going on in his kingdom. If they have brothel's. . . .
Old 19-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #44   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

don't forget that youko was almost sold to a brothel in the begining too.

I dont see why you'd need to see it spelled out for you. You're missing the essence of the differences in the worlds. 1 is ordered as though bureaucracy were king, the other is our world.
Old 20-10-2008, 05:35 PM   #45   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I did forget about Youko and the brothel. (Sounds like the name of a foreign sex comedy.)

It is clear that in the 12 Kingdoms, there is only sex before marraige. Just kidding.

Seriously, we've gotten away from the question. Are the rulers and kirens allowed to have any romances or just a plain physical relationship? We know that a ruler can only have the children he/she had before coming to the throne, and that afterwards kids are a no-no. We've never seen any sign of a kiren having a relationship, or falling in love. This would be key for any storyline involving Kaname/Taiki and Yuka.