Old 03-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #31   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

By "Priest Abel," do you mean Father Abel Nightroad of Trinity Blood? That was a series with a great concept -- a vampire who fed off the blood of other vampires. But it was lacking in the execution, mainly because the series' creator died in the middle of production. The series never was finished. SPOILER: "]Having the main character die with three or so episodes to go, and then reviving him at the end was a bit gimicky.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:04 AM   #32   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Yeh. I didnt think the series did too badly. It was a tad cliche in places and needed a bit more backstory/explanation for those of us not coming from the manga. I mean, you get it anyway, but it would've been nice to have the history with Lillith, Abel's isolation etc delved into a bit more. However, as someone who loves Trigun, I have to admit that its nice to return to familiar surroundings.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #33   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Both Trigun and Trinity Blood were shown on the Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. Viewers on their website board complained that Abel was a rip-off of Vash -- at least during the early episodes. I never cared much for Trigun and rarely watched it.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:27 AM   #34   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
I think there is a bit of confusion between "Inspired by" and "Ripped off". Fans tend to be the ones who first cry "ripped off!". Its hard to know whether a creator is simply hijacking a market/trend created by another show, going with the flow, or trying to build on the trend to create something new.

I've often complained that Rah Xephon didn't differentiate itself enough from NGE, and almost anything Clamp/Sunrise touches is too similar to the last thing they did. That said, you should definitely see Trigun. It is indeed one of the classics and might give you a better foundation for understanding where characters in future anime got their inspiration from.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:29 PM   #35   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

This is off the subject, sort of, because it does not involve an anime. But it does involve vampires. There is a new movie from Sweden opening this week called "Let the Right One In." It's about a 12-year-old boy who is bullied at school -- until he makes friends with a new girl next door who happens to be a vampire. It actually got good reviews. I will try to see it this week. But if you don't live in a major city, you probably won't get a chance to see this one. It won't make it to your neighborhood mall multi-plex.