Old 23-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #16   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Replying to something from months and months ago, but oh well!

Originally Posted by Unlikely Fan View Post
I've never really understood why so many people consider Bebop to be "top shelf anime." Don't get me wrong, it's good...but I never felt like it really WENT anywhere, plus I didn't think the Spike/Vicious backstory was explored sufficiently.
In my opinion, the reason why Cowboy Bebop is a "top shelf anime" is because it had compelling and engaging characters who are very memorable and who were explored throughout the entire series. The episodes were almost entirely one-shots, but the entire time you learned a little bit about each character that added up to mean something when you got to the few episodes dealing with the overarching plot. I disagree about the backstory; I felt it was as detailed as it needed to be for where the present story was going... and it's really rare for me to say something like that, because typically I always need more detail with backstories.

Some of my favorite anime, unranked:

Mushishi
Kino's Journey
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
Ouran High School Host Club
Azumanga Daioh
Twelve Kingdoms
Berserk
Cowboy Bebop

Some movies I love:

Millennium Actress
Whisper of the Heart
Old 24-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #17   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Nulani Send a message via AIM to Nulani Send a message via MSN to Nulani Send a message via Yahoo to Nulani
I'm going to have to say Record of Lodoss War and FLCL.
Old 24-06-2009, 08:15 PM   #18   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Grave of the Fireflies - everything else pales in comparison, especially high-school based juvenile anime such as Melancholy Haruhi and Azumanga.

Planetes was somewhere between OK and good, but was too light-hearted in places.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 24-06-2009 at 08:20 PM.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 12:00 AM   #19   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
Grave of the Fireflies - everything else pales in comparison, especially high-school based juvenile anime such as Melancholy Haruhi and Azumanga.
Grave of the Fireflies was very, very good... but you're comparing apples to oranges when you try to contrast a serious dramatic movie with two light-hearted anime TV series. Hell, Azumanga Daioh doesn't even have a message or a real point besides "a day in the life of...," so I've got no clue how you can bring it and Grave of the Fireflies up in the same sentence.
Old 25-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #20   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
John is holding everything to the same standard which I can respect. It's how anyone should approach any work of art. However whether he intends to or not, his wording is making the argument from what I've seen on other posts is that every work of narrative fiction needs to be serious in order to have artistic merit or not take place in high school because his personal aesthetic right now is tired of dramas taking place in high school. Remember this is coming from someone who a few years ago was trying to get a Pokemon forum and hasn't read manga but somehow thinks that it's all crap. So really what it comes down to is his personal bias telling him that Grave of the Fireflies is automatically better because it a) deals with super serious subject matter in an expertly told fashion, and b) it doesn't take place in a high school.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #21   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
Remember this is coming from someone who a few years ago was trying to get a Pokemon forum and hasn't read manga but somehow thinks that it's all crap. So really what it comes down to is his personal bias telling him that Grave of the Fireflies is automatically better because it a) deals with super serious subject matter in an expertly told fashion, and b) it doesn't take place in a high school.
There's nothing inconsistent about me pushing for a Pokemon forum and hating high-school anime, because the Pokemon anime focuses on environments other than high school. What is your objection to Pokemon anyway?

And do you seriously think I haven't picked up a manga before? A man of my intellectual capacity? I think that time reading manga would be better spent reading other books, and I will elaborate on this in the other thread, time permitting.
Old 29-06-2009, 09:09 PM   #22   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
There's nothing inconsistent about me pushing for a Pokemon forum and hating high-school anime, because the Pokemon anime focuses on environments other than high school. What is your objection to Pokemon anyway?
Personally, I don't see how Pokemon is any different than most of the anime set in High Schools. It's got goofy humor, childish plots, and characters that aren't particularly deep or three dimensional. This goes without saying that it's clearly marketed towards a juvenile audience. I brought it up because I just thought that was a funny juxtaposition.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #23   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
Personally, I don't see how Pokemon is any different than most of the anime set in High Schools. It's got goofy humor, childish plots, and characters that aren't particularly deep or three dimensional. This goes without saying that it's clearly marketed towards a juvenile audience. I brought it up because I just thought that was a funny juxtaposition.
I agree Pokemon is geared towards a juvenile audience. However, in comparison to anime set in high school, and other kids' anime, it is actually quite mature. Since we're going off topic a bit, I have addressed this issue in a new thread - http://www.animeboards.com/showthrea...#post537854798.

You will see that this is a ground-breaking thread that I doubt you will find anywhere else on the Internet. You mentioned how AnimeBoards needs to differentiate itself from other messageboards, and there is no better way than to make truly original threads like I have just done. .
Old 24-07-2009, 12:01 AM   #24   [permalink]
direking

Hokage Ninjia

that's the best in the world
direking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #25   [permalink]
crazyplay

X tv
crazyplay is offline   Reply With Quote