Old 08-01-2009, 11:39 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Question Demon Lord Dante

Has anyone seen this series? I finished disc 1, episodes 1-4. It has a copyright date of 2002, but it looks older. The animation is not that great. The story is promising, but it could have been done better. I have disc 2 and will watch that before I decide if it is worth renting discs 3 and 4.

The storyline, from what I've seen, is that Satanists are fighting the Children of God. The Satanists want to bring Demon Lord Dante back. A college kid named Ryo ends up fighting Dante for control of his body. That's all I can get into without spoilers. Oh, yes. There is a teenage girl who gets naked and covered with chicken blood. And the father looks like a caveman.

Is this an anime worth finishing?

No spoilers please!
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:57 AM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I just finished disc 2, episodes 5-7. So I am halfway through the series. I might as well finish it. It's not the greatest anime I have ever seen by any means. But if you can get past its' weird idea of God and devils, there is enough of a story to keep you interested -- not to mention a bit of fan service.

Just don't read the character profiles in the extras. They give spoilers.
Old 21-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Unhappy

For some reason, Netflix skipped over discs 3 and 4, and started sending me Gungrave. But now they've finally sent disc 3, episodes 7-10. And there is a major, unexpected plot twist in disc 3! Unfortunately, it is also a very stupid and poorly done plot twist. If you are religious, you may be offended. I would have been offended, had the whole thing not had been handled so incompetently.

But I will withhold judgment on the series for now. There is one more disc, and three more episodes. My final analysis will depend on those episodes.

BTW, in the opening credits for each episode, we see Ryo walking hand in hand with his beloved sister. It would be kind of sweet if they weren't both naked. There is certainly some weird sh-t going on under the surface.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:49 PM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

It took a special call to Netflix to finally get disc 4. So now I have finished the series.

It certainly is a weird series. I like weird. But I like weird done well. The animation is not too good. The English dub could be better. The actress who does Medusa talks in a monotone. The script is poor. If a series is going to turn Western religion on its head, it should at least do it well. This series never really had me buying the premise.

I think that the father went on to do commercials for Geico. (So easy a caveman can do it. )

The series is watchable, but not much more. This one just misses getting my recommendation.