Old 23-01-2009, 06:33 PM   #1   [permalink]
KazuHiro101

Smile Hello

Hello AnimeFans,

This place seems like a nice place to chill out for anime fans . I hope I find useful information here. Well thats all for now.

Nice Ta Meet Cha All!~
KazuHiro101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #2   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Hi,

AnimeBoards is indeed an extremely good place to chill, since the atmosphere is ice cold.

Most "active" members here are at least in their mid-20's, with the age range stretching to people in their 30's and 40's, and maybe older. Thus, we just don't have time to post on messageboards. Online, we're a very, very miserable bunch of people and this is reflected in the fact that even though members log in and come here everyday, most cannot muster the mental strength or enthusiasm to post.

Think run-down council estate. There's an unwritten law here: do not try and communicate using the written medium.

But at precisely our darkest hour, we have been blessed with your appearance. KazuHiro101, will you be the hero who will extract Excalibur from the stone?

Will you be the one to cleanse our souls?

Are you the Hidden One that will lead us to our righteous abode?

O Lord KazuHiro101, we kneel down before thee. Have mercy on us. Amen.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #3   [permalink]
Darkandiel

Send a message via MSN to Darkandiel
John Faulker, quit scaring away the newbies or I'll have to fire up the barbecue.

Welcome! =)
Darkandiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #4   [permalink]
Ado
Forum Junkie

Send a message via MSN to Ado
Hey boss, welcome to the forums.
Old 29-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #5   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by Darkandiel View Post
John Faulker, quit scaring away the newbies or I'll have to fire up the barbecue.
Actually, the evidence is that if I welcome a new member, the member has a greater probability of posting more, e.g. you.

In contrast, I did not welcome members such as kira and Dave T.M. Chiba (has this guy got a double-barrelled middle name or something? Maybe T.M. stands for The Machine), and they've just scarpered for good.

So my approach definitely works.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 29-01-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 31-01-2009, 03:40 PM   #6   [permalink]
Darkandiel

LOL well I did stick around. But then, I stuck around for a whole month before I could post >=3. All my old forums are as dead as this one, except one, so I'm used to the quietness. =(
Old 31-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #7   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

All my old forums are as dead as this one, except one, so I'm used to the quietness. =(
Since you have experience of being a forum admin, what do you make of Eva2k's concerns that he might not cope with the hosting costs if activity increases here?

Right now, we have a maximum of around 20 members (the usual speechless wonders) coming here every day, and a maximum of about 5 at any one time. Surely that is way below the point at which hosting costs would rise to an unsustainable level for the average middle-class employee living in a developed country, considering the fact that Eva2k seems to be managing the costs of hosting this place in its current state quite comfortably? What is your view on this, and could you give an estimate of the number of members coming here before costs start to explode?

Of course, I'd try to get the answer from Eva2k himself but I've been trying to do that for something like 2 yrs and at some point, one has to concede that blood cannot be extracted from a stone.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #8   [permalink]
Darkandiel

Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
Since you have experience of being a forum admin, what do you make of Eva2k's concerns that he might not cope with the hosting costs if activity increases here?

Right now, we have a maximum of around 20 members (the usual speechless wonders) coming here every day, and a maximum of about 5 at any one time. Surely that is way below the point at which hosting costs would rise to an unsustainable level for the average middle-class employee living in a developed country, considering the fact that Eva2k seems to be managing the costs of hosting this place in its current state quite comfortably? What is your view on this, and could you give an estimate of the number of members coming here before costs start to explode?

Of course, I'd try to get the answer from Eva2k himself but I've been trying to do that for something like 2 yrs and at some point, one has to concede that blood cannot be extracted from a stone.
Oh, haha, I meant my old forums, as in, old haunts. Yea, sure I am admin of my own forum, but it's just a baby right now. It's all a learning process for me because I have been a mod a few times and I wanted to try running one myself. Over the years, I watched two sites die, so I learned from that. I am a moderator at a much larger vb site than this one right now and it's doing fine. Well over 1,000 active members, maybe 2,000. I mod another small one that died and that is being revived.

I'm not sure how many members before costs rise because of not actually running a site for long enough. But there are things that can be done to reduce it. Well, we have a PM inbox of 6,000 here, reduce that. Who needs that much PM space, honestly. 250 is enough, 1000 for moderators, it will help with the bandwidth issues(people can download their PMs if they want) Place a donations button and give anyone who donates to the forum something extra like a larger PM inbox, coloured username etc. VB has many mods(not moderators =P) that could be used to allow for extra features for certain usergroups. It does help, there will still be some costs, but if the members themselves contribute something and the admin stops treating the site like a baby, it will work out. As it is now, activity cannot get any worse.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #9   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Oh, haha, I meant my old forums, as in, old haunts.
Nowadays, I'm not big on forums and avoid chat rooms and bollocks like that. Having said that, in my early online days, I did hang around semi-frequently in Religion/Philosophy/Politics chat-rooms for a year or so. One thing I quickly learnt is that the majority of people, including the probably unemployed "regulars", in these rooms don't even talk about those topics but simply engage in brainless chit-chat or mud-slinging (which I pointed out to them obviously).

Politics forums are always good places to go if you want to see people pissing themselves in a heated debate. For example, whenever there is a conflict, say the Russian-Georgian one last year or the Israel-Lebanon and Israel-Palestine conflicts, you are guaranteed to get people wishing a horrible death on each other. Apart from the comedy value, you can learn something about the way people think.

Over the years, I watched two sites die, so I learned from that.
You could make that three now by including AnimeBoards.

I am a moderator at a much larger vb site than this one right now and it's doing fine. Well over 1,000 active members, maybe 2,000. I mod another small one that died and that is being revived.
You know something is seriously wrong when an anime messageboard with some 5,500 members has less activity than another such board with 29 members (http://animegaia.net/forum/ - ironically advertised in the Website reviews subforum here) - literally there are more new posts and topics over 24hr there.

I'm not sure how many members before costs rise because of not actually running a site for long enough. But there are things that can be done to reduce it. Well, we have a PM inbox of 6,000 here, reduce that. Who needs that much PM space, honestly. 250 is enough, 1000 for moderators, it will help with the bandwidth issues(people can download their PMs if they want) Place a donations button and give anyone who donates to the forum something extra like a larger PM inbox, coloured username etc. VB has many mods(not moderators =P) that could be used to allow for extra features for certain usergroups. It does help, there will still be some costs, but if the members themselves contribute something and the admin stops treating the site like a baby, it will work out.
Reducing the PM limit is a good idea. But what would you say if the admin, having complained about the costs issue, turns round and says he doesn't want to reduce the inbox limit because of sentimentality? Where do you go from there? A donations button is also a good idea.

As it is now, activity cannot get any worse.
Say you are the admin of AnimeBoards. What would you do? Would you be happy with your moderators not posting anything all the time?
Old 03-02-2009, 12:38 AM   #10   [permalink]
Darkandiel

Nowadays, I'm not big on forums and avoid chat rooms and bollocks like that. Having said that, in my early online days, I did hang around semi-frequently in Religion/Philosophy/Politics chat-rooms for a year or so. One thing I quickly learnt is that the majority of people, including the probably unemployed "regulars", in these rooms don't even talk about those topics but simply engage in brainless chit-chat or mud-slinging (which I pointed out to them obviously).

Politics forums are always good places to go if you want to see people pissing themselves in a heated debate. For example, whenever there is a conflict, say the Russian-Georgian one last year or the Israel-Lebanon and Israel-Palestine conflicts, you are guaranteed to get people wishing a horrible death on each other. Apart from the comedy value, you can learn something about the way people think.
Oh well, what is funny about that is that I actually became more active on forums recently. Yeah I've been around forums for year,s but I was never much of a poster. I only ever posted on topics that interested me. I don't mind seeing the odd stupid thread, there's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes people need to post slightly dumber threads for lols in contrast to serious debates.

It's the stupid asses that go in and troll debate forums that get to me the most. They argue against everyone in the thread, contradicting themselves in the process, taking articles from wikipedia and twisting them to suit their "argument". >>

mindless banter > trolling

You could make that three now by including AnimeBoards.
Yeah, I think I got here after things took that turn though

You know something is seriously wrong when an anime messageboard with some 5,500 members has less activity than another such board with 29 members (http://animegaia.net/forum/ - ironically advertised in the Website reviews subforum here) - literally there are more new posts and topics over 24hr there.
Heh I think my own forum with less than 20 members is about as active as here. I haven't advertised it at all yet. Most current members are friends though so I don't worry if they don't post everyday.

Reducing the PM limit is a good idea. But what would you say if the admin, having complained about the costs issue, turns round and says he doesn't want to reduce the inbox limit because of sentimentality? Where do you go from there? A donations button is also a good idea.
Oh well. I'd just say goodnight if it's all down to sentimentality. I have found myself having to download my PMs many times on another forum, I still have them in a folder.

Say you are the admin of AnimeBoards. What would you do? Would you be happy with your moderators not posting anything all the time?
Well, it's like this, mods generally post less than other members because they have the staff boards to post in, but they should at least be making an appearance and posting something on the boards. Every post made adds to activity.