Old 07-03-2009, 03:08 AM   #1   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

This post shows how easy-peasy lemon piss-fucken squeezy it is to make a post here, for all you dummies out there that come here and never post. I haven't even seen this bloody anime, but I'm still able to make a post about it based on a trailer I've seen. Seriously, all you have to do is type what you think - it is that fucken simple.

So this anime has an interesting concept about time travel, and I'm guessing from the trailer that it tackles the sense of longing for some happy-go-lucky period in your life after you've past it. Thus, there is the philosophical issue of how these carefree periods of ephemeral bliss are smashed by the responsibility that comes in later life, yet the anime also seems to give hope in that cherished memories can forever light up the flames of your soul even when the experience has long dried up.

However, I am also disappointed to learn that the girl in question is not some adult who is experiencing the turmoils of adult life, but a stupid airhead-bimboid bitch fucken around in high school with two of her boyfriends and taking part in cookery lessons in school or bollocks like that. What the ---- is that all about? Is it that hard to interpolate a more hard-hitting storyline about, say, a girl before and after WWIII? How about Japan going crazy and attacking America again, and we have this girl able to go back to the peaceful times before the war, and maybe alter events in some way?

I think the director should introduce more gritty realism; for example, maybe force the director, this Mamoru Hosoda, to watch war documentaries beforehand (like Hayao Miyazaki did to his staff when making Princess Mononoke) or to llisten to songs by the Verve in a continuous loop for 1 month. Even if it was set in a high school, you can introduce more gritty realism - school's not just about some stupid never-ending love-drama developing, but other aspects such as rivalry between different personalities during work and play. When I think back to school, it was not some fucken Mills & Boon romantic setting, but a bloody gritty place where there was a fight every other week, people took drugs for fun and kids brought knives into school for bragging rights. That would make it far more interesting.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 07-03-2009 at 10:26 AM.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:20 AM   #2   [permalink]
ryushe
Executive Member

meh, I liked it *shrugs*
ryushe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:38 AM   #3   [permalink]

Don't worry. John doesn't like anything.
724496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:41 AM   #4   [permalink]
ryushe
Executive Member

Ran across him on another forums and I have to say that's not true;

He, from what I can tell, really likes beyblades...

A lot.
ryushe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:54 AM   #5   [permalink]

That scares me.

A lot.
724496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #6   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
I don't know why that would be surprising, he was one of the people here that was pushing hardcore for a pokemon forum.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #7   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by ryushe View Post

A lot.
hmmm .... that sounds like him, likewise I seem to recall his strong advocacy of Pokemon and Beyblade. I am a bit surprised at how far John has take the "negative/shock" tactic in his final posts ... its almost as if he wanted to be banned on principle?

Well, who can say at this point ... "John Conner 030809" anyone?

Sam
Old 10-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #8   [permalink]
Polymorph

haha hardcore in pokemon... I've thought about that before. I thought it would have made it a little more tolerable after the age of 13 if they put some blood in there.. just for realism (ahah funny concept right here). Well, I think pokemon with a few tweeks could have been a decent show for an older audience with the right adjustments. But at the end of the day, the pokemon show was aimed at kids. It still has an everlasting place in my heart... like the legend of zelda, cliford the big red dog and my sock monkey.
Polymorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:35 PM   #9   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

meh, I liked it *shrugs*
That's not very informative. Why do you like it? *shrugs*

Originally Posted by 724496 View Post
Don't worry. John doesn't like anything.
Blatant lie. In terms of anime, I like Berserk and Studio Ghibli films, for example.

A lot.
If you're referring to the thread I think you're referring to, then it is simply amazing how you feel it necessary to spread propaganda across messageboards about me. The main reason I brought up Beyblade in that thread was to show the absurdity of labelling Cardcaptor Sakura (CCS) as one of the best anime there is, by showing that even Beyblade is better than it. As is fashionable with my critics on anime messageboards, I was drowned by a barrage of high-school retorts with no real arguments whatsoever. If anyone had tried to argue properly that CCS was better than Beyblade in that thread, I would have won the argument so easily it wouldn't even be funny. Which is why nobody did try.

Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
hmmm .... that sounds like him, likewise I seem to recall his strong advocacy of Pokemon and Beyblade. I am a bit surprised at how far John has take the "negative/shock" tactic in his final posts ... its almost as if he wanted to be banned on principle?
Why are you surprised? My posts are merely a translation of the current state of AnimeBoards into ordinary English.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:24 AM   #10   [permalink]
juano
Banned

oh... good
juano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #11   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by juano View Post
oh... good
Oh ... good ... shite travel guides.

Mods, we have a spambot in the shape of guano here. Please get rid. .

Last edited by John Faulkner; 12-06-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 14-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #12   [permalink]
JapanAni

I enjoy this movie a lot, even though someone who leaps through time doesn't feel any consequence for her actions, she does feel a bit of regret near the end.

we wholesale anime, manga, and more visit our site here: http://www.japan-animation.com
JapanAni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #13   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by JapanAni View Post
I enjoy this movie a lot, even though someone who leaps through time doesn't feel any consequence for her actions, she does feel a bit of regret near the end.
The theme of time travel can potentially touch on mature issues such as whether one wishes, by conscious design, to change serious events in a way that could alter fundamentally who you are. For example, would one change perceived mistakes from the past for the sake of avoiding pain, if given the chance, or would one keep these experiences for the emotional depth they bring?

It's just disappointing that out of all the settings they could have chosen, they chose the juvenile one of high school, which does not lend itself well to the resolution or exposition of mature issues. And made the main character a little girl toying around with her boyfriend/muse.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 14-07-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 15-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #14   [permalink]
dalmain
Executive Member

Send a message via MSN to dalmain
I will probably watch this movie this weekend or next week. From the trailer it looks not so bad and I've heard positive things about it. I'll wait and see.
dalmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 12:47 AM   #15   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Time travel is the number one element used in anything remotely syfy.

Yes, that sentence contains a fact I made up just for this thread and also a somewhat ironic way of poking fun at the, ahem, "syfy" channel, of which was completely random and possibly unnecessary, as was this rather long explanation.

Back to my point, time travel has been done many many many many many times. Does it always have to be the same? Is that the only way it can be done in an interesting way?

I say, hell no.

The Girl Who Lept Through Time was as slice-of-life as it was any other genre element. Didn't enjoy some "stupid airhead-bimboid bitch" messin' around with time? THAT WAS THE WHOLE POINT.

No, that wasn't... I just thought an all caps sentence was necessary at that juncture.

This movie was all about the turmoils of an adolescent girl and her daily life in school, with her friends, and growing up... then ---- happened and she could jump around through time and steal her sisters desert (or was it to prevent hers from being stolen? I forget, it's been a while).

There was a strong message about having and living with regrets, and what one can do about them. Yes, it may seem impossible, but young teenage girls experience regrets as well. As do kids (maybe), adults, hell, I bet some animals do as well.

Imagine a tiger on the hunt. He sees a deer all by his lonesome. The tiger circles around, gets ready to strike, then sees a flash of what is to come... the deer, harmless to everything except the bugs it probably steps on daily, lying in a pool of its own blood all because the tiger was born a carnivore and can't enjoy a balanced meal with the umpteen plants all around him. This only lasted 5 seconds, and in that time, the deer sensed the tiger's presence and took off. Now, with no more prey in sight, the tiger has to go back to his cave and see the faces of his poor cubs (or whatever they are called), sitting at home, starving, cuz their pussy father couldn't catch them any food. Then they die of starvation, cuz yes, they die if they miss one meal. The father tiger, while burying his kids, thinks back and now regrets the momentary lapse in his decision to pounce that rotten deer, who btw has gone off to stomp on tons of bugs thereby throwing the bug ecosystem out of whack and all plant life ceased to exist which in turn killed all the herbivores which in turn killed all the carnivores and now all that's left are roaches and weeds (and not the good kind of weed).

*Ahem*

Time travel can touch on mature issues, and it has, but who is to say it can't be used in other ways? This movie utilized time travel in one of the least possible "syfy" ways and it turned out beautifully. It was thrown into a normal girl's life and forever changed many futures.

Btw, none of the above is presented as an argument. If you pick apart the core element of a subject, and hate on it, it'll be impossible to enjoy it no matter what angle you see it from.

Btw btw, I don't post because I'm lazy. I'm a lil drunk atm so that's probably why I'm here.

Last edited by oppa; 16-07-2009 at 12:48 AM.
oppa is offline   Reply With Quote