Old 24-07-2009, 04:12 AM   #16   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
A movie in which all the characters walk around with a piece of toilet paper stuck to their shoe would be funny....
if every movie has toilet paper stuck to the shoe, would it be my fault as the viewer to find it an annoyance? Would I be wrong to think they should grow out of such lame humour?
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 12:18 AM   #17   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Fault? No. Wrong? No.

If this occurred in "every" movie, then I'd go insane, too.

The benefit of having a multitude of categories is that you can ignore those you dislike. And what of those series that are interesting but contain that one annoying thing? Well, if it was good enough, you'd find a way to deal with it.

If every series had big, bouncing breasts in it during nearly every scene, then I'd be right up there with all the breast haters. Every series does not. Hell, many series' do not (if you exclude hentai).
Old 25-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #18   [permalink]
hakai
Forum Junkie

If anything, we need more of a balance with big butts. Obviously this will never happen as the Japanese don't have an affinity for thick bootys.
Old 26-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #19   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Originally Posted by oppa View Post
Fault? No. Wrong? No.

If this occurred in "every" movie, then I'd go insane, too.

The benefit of having a multitude of categories is that you can ignore those you dislike. And what of those series that are interesting but contain that one annoying thing? Well, if it was good enough, you'd find a way to deal with it.

If every series had big, bouncing breasts in it during nearly every scene, then I'd be right up there with all the breast haters. Every series does not. Hell, many series' do not (if you exclude hentai).

So only in the extremes will you notice poor writing, poor illustration, poor animation ? I think there is a sufficient amount of oversized breasts for it to qualify as overused.
Old 27-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #20   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Only in the extremes would I feel like I have no choice and be smothered by big breast annoyances.

I cannot disagree that there are many series that have at least the occasional big breast but there are far more series that do w/o it. And I'm sure plenty of those that have big breasts throw it in occasionally, opposed to bombarding every scene.

If it is enjoyable enough, little annoyances wouldn't matter (much). If they do, then it's obviously not enjoyable enough. There's plenty of things out there that don't have what you dislike.

And I have no idea what any of this has to do with noticing poor writing or animation. The topic was whether big breasts ruined anime, not if it was the cause of a poorly put together series (or whatever the point of that line was).

EDIT: I also think there needs to be more big butts. Cuz, I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Last edited by oppa; 27-07-2009 at 02:07 PM.
oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #21   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Recent anime where this issue rears it ugly head is Saki, an anime about mahjong, they don't seem to get tired of pointing out that one of the main character has big bewbs every 5 minutes, then again that is not one of my main peeves with this anime but it is annoying nonetheless.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 04:57 PM   #22   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Originally Posted by oppa View Post

And I have no idea what any of this has to do with noticing poor writing or animation. The topic was whether big breasts ruined anime, not if it was the cause of a poorly put together series (or whatever the point of that line was).

EDIT: I also think there needs to be more big butts. Cuz, I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Yes, the topic is about whether the gainax bounce is ruining anime. My position is that it is. Your position sounds more like "love it or leave it", defending it by suggesting watching anime without the stupid breasts. What Im trying to get through to you is the fact that oversized breasts can be as damaging as bad dialogue, illustration or animation.
Old 27-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #23   [permalink]
crazyplay

Originally Posted by kamikazefstorm View Post
Boobs sell. Lack of boobs = no sales. No sales = death. That's the only reason why.
Correct!!!
crazyplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 01:42 AM   #24   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki View Post
Yes, the topic is about whether the gainax bounce is ruining anime. My position is that it is. Your position sounds more like "love it or leave it", defending it by suggesting watching anime without the stupid breasts. What Im trying to get through to you is the fact that oversized breasts can be as damaging as bad dialogue, illustration or animation.
And your point is valid. I never said nor implied that big breasts or bad anything does not ruin a series. My point is that it is not all inclusive and does not ruin ANIME. It may ruin the series' that contain it, just like bad dialogue, illustration, or animation can ruin a particular series.

If you want to include those examples, I'm sure there are far more anime that contain any one of those, and "ruin" said series, than those that contain more jiggly than some can handle. (I have no basis for that statement; it's merely an assumption to add to my point)

And my overall point is still valid. If you can't enjoy a series with over-abundant breasts, then why keep watching? If a show has horrible animation or questionable dialogue, why keep watching it? There are definitely shows out there that will draw you in that do not contain such annoyances.

I am merely disputing the generalization that big breasts are ruining anime. As I stated previously, there are plenty of anime out there without distracting breast elements that will appeal to those that can't handle some bounce.
Old 28-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #25   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Ah, well if you're talking about anime as a whole..then Im not particularly worried. Certainly the crap making it to our shores is harmed by the image that anime is simply more gorey, sexual asian weird ----, but over time that will change as people come to understand what anime really is, rather than what they thought it was based on a few episodes on SBS.

I would not say Ive seen any trend that would suggest that the Japanese market itself is heading towards a more boob filled roster.
Old 29-07-2009, 12:07 AM   #26   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

I suppose my view of anime and Japanese related media in general is somewhat skewed since I don't limit myself to only what is available in my market (US).

W/o any reference, I'd guess the view of anime in the US is not as bad as one may think, in regards to being overfilled with fan service or other possibly negative elements. Again, that's an arbitrary assumption.

On the flip side, it may be that there are far more fans or greater interest in the exact things that are discussed in this thread. Sure, some of it is appealing to the lowest common denominator but I'd venture another guess in that the demand from those that enjoy these things is greater than we may assume (or like).

I still think a series can be enjoyable even when they throw in the occasional jiggly. Off hand, I think of Vandread. This is still a series I'd claim to be in my top whatever and it had its share of fan service. If you've seen Vandread, you'll know that the scenes that had fan service were very obvious and "in yo' face" and could not be ignored outright. Much of it was random and unnecessary but the series was good enough that I simply didn't let it bother me. (Of course, when I first watched it, I thought it was hawt sauce so maybe that has something to do with my tolerance of it, haha)