Old 01-06-2009, 10:01 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Talking Rewatching Gunslinger Girl -- SPOILERS

I just finished watching the entire Gunslinger Girl series for the second time. The first time was maybe two years ago -- or less. The second time around the story did not seem so depressing, probably because I already know the story and there were no shocking surprises.

The last time I posted comments, I remember there was some disagreement as to Angelica’s fate. Some say she dies in the final episode, while some say she is only sleeping. It seems she does live in the manga, but many animes differ from the manga. In the series, after watching the final episode once in English and once in Japanese with subtitles, I can say that Angelica is most certainly dead. Her death is alluded to and predicted several times in the final episode. One of the handlers even says she does not have long to live. It also makes for a very strong ending.

What Angelica’s death does do is create questions for the rumored second series. If the second series follows the manga, then they would have to revive Angelica. But the remainder of the manga sounded pretty lame when described to me. Leave Angelica dying in peace and get on with an original story, please.

The only other observation I would make is that at the end Henrietta does seem to regain part of her human soul. You can see this in the way she begs Marco to visit Angelica. I credit her handler Guise’s love to this. However, it is obvious that Henrietta will still remain a killing machine, and that she and the other girls are doomed to eventually follow Angelica.

Any other comments?
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:17 AM   #2   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Who could have doubted it? If she lives on, the entire thing about falling stars wouldn't made as much sense.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Maybe it wasn’t this forum, but over at adultswim.com, where I often post. But I did get a few comments that Angelica was only sleeping. Actually, I am currently having that debate with someone over there right now! He claims Angelica is only sleeping.

Since my last post, another thought came to mind. In the last episode, Angelica remembers her dog from her previous life, but can’t remember Henrietta visiting her less than five minutes after she leaves. This is the classic symptom of the early stages of dementia. I have seen it in my own family. The victim remembers small long forgotten details of what happened years ago, but cannot remember what happened moments ago. Although we do see Angelica having memory problems earlier, this is the first time we see that her short-term memory is going or gone. This breakdown of the brain eventually results in death, although the process generally takes years -- even decades. But Angelica’s body is pretty much wearing down by this time anyway.

Last edited by MeMyself; 05-06-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 28-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #4   [permalink]
bankaimaster

Send a message via MSN to bankaimaster
Never watched this .. care to share anime with me ... u send me I send u lol
Old 03-07-2009, 04:46 AM   #5   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
No need. Netflix (US) Quickflix (Australia) has these kinds of anime. I used to download a lot of subbed anime when I was younger, but tbh, if you can afford AU$30 a month its easier to just rent it. Ive had the service years and still havent seen all the anime in quickflix's library.

Although I think I've seen most of the good stuff. Gunslinger girl was one of em. Hell, if you're in the U.S I think the Xbox 360 has direct stream netflix, so yeh..maybe? I dunno. Dont bother pirating imo, even naruto and ---- is given for free legally online.

EDIT: Exception obviously being cutting edge stuff, there is no legit way to keep up with Claymore's latest unless you can read Japanese =(
Old 03-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #6   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Sorry it took so long to answer. I've been away.

But I rent all of my animes from Netflix. Unfortunately, there are several on my list which have disappeared from Netflix's inventory in the past few months. I don't know if people are damaging or not returning them, or if they are just worn out.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #7   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

I lost mine/was too busy for so long that I ended up having 2 dvds out for like 5 months. It happens. (Yes a huge waste of money but I view it as being building relations, who doesnt love a sucker who overpays?)
Old 04-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #8   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki View Post
I lost mine/was too busy for so long that I ended up having 2 dvds out for like 5 months. It happens. (Yes a huge waste of money but I view it as being building relations, who doesnt love a sucker who overpays?)
One of those discs wouldn't happen to have been disc 5 to the anime Yojimbo? I waited months for it to arrive.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #9   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

nono, "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" and "A Scanner Darkly". I still havent watched "A Scanner Darkly". FSM was pretty good though, I was expecting some lame comedy but then I dont normally put comedy on my list so I mustve seen a pretty glowing review somewhere.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #10   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Well, don't hang on to these DVD's forever! Others are waiting to rent them. I finally got disc 5 of Yojimbo almost three months after I watched disc 4. I would like to see the series again, but two of the discs of the series, including disc 5, are no longer available through Netflix. Either some other customer did not return them, or they damaged the last ones they had. There have been a few anime series on my list which in the past two months became no longer available.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #11   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

I had some Jackie Chan moves that were on my list for like 2 years before I either removed em or they removed themselves.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:40 PM   #12   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I never had a Jackie Chan movie on my list for even a second!