Old 19-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #16   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by kamikazefstorm View Post
Why? what's wrong with it?
Originally Posted by Pen2 View Post
It gets kind of old when you're no longer in high school yourself.
Pen2 hit the nail on the head ( ) - why don't they make more anime with a work setting? There is an immense variety of jobs out there and it would make a refreshing change to see these being represented in some way.

Also, anime set in high school would be more palatable if the characters aren't so dumb. I mean, why do you want to see dumb kids dumbing around? That is why I will never, ever watch something like Azumanaga Daioh. In general, I think there should be more adult anime characters - the "young kids trying to grow up" road is so well-trod, it's been grounded to dust.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #17   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Shame. Azumanga Daioh is awesome. But I guess it's not for everyone.

The reason why they don't make more anime in a work setting is simple: they're not catering to the average working person. They're trying to get students to watch their shows, and students aren't really familiar with work environments. So they try to relate the characters to what the students will know.

It'd be nice to see less school-oriented anime, but at the same time I've just grown to reluctantly accept that the school is - according to anime - the only place in Japan where anything happens.

Silly anime.
Old 20-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #18   [permalink]
Pen2
Senior Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Pen2
Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
Pen2 hit the nail on the head ( ) - why don't they make more anime with a work setting? There is an immense variety of jobs out there and it would make a refreshing change to see these being represented in some way.
Having a familiar setting isn't everything, of course. I was a bartender, and I watched Bartender, and I kept getting caught up on the things they did wrong. Plus that weird japanese submissiveness bothered me endlessly, when in the same position any episode I was in would end in a few minutes after I said "Oh quit your whining, drunkey."

Last edited by Pen2; 20-06-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Pen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #19   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Shigurui is pretty bloody and messy, borderline hentai sex scenes much like Ninja scroll, don't think you will be learning any japanese from those.

Musa comes to mind when thinking of your criteria, a wanderer barehand fighter in the time period of Yamamoto Mushashi.
Kazemakase Tsukikage ran, a female wandering samurai, who's life consist of fighting and sake.
Samurai Champloo, story about two samurai and a girl looking for the sunflower samurai, getting into trouble along the way.
Flame of recca,a ninja anime, haven't seen it myself but heard some raving reviews from fellow anime fans.
The seven samurai, its based on Akira Kurosawa by the same title, although the setting is slightly different since japan was invaded by aliens in this alternate timeline, so lots of mecha and industrial buildings but still a good title to watch if you can ignore the futuristic setting(don't get me wrong I liked how it was presented, just does not fit your criteria).
Princess mononoke, a great movie from studio Ghibli should be avaible everywhere on DVD.

These are the one from the top of my head.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #20   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Originally Posted by Takahashi View Post
The seven samurai, its based on Akira Kurosawa by the same title, although the setting is slightly different since japan was invaded by aliens in this alternate timeline, so lots of mecha and industrial buildings but still a good title to watch if you can ignore the futuristic setting(don't get me wrong I liked how it was presented, just does not fit your criteria).
Correction: The anime is called "Samurai 7," based on the live action movie "Seven Samurai."
Old 21-06-2009, 01:34 AM   #21   [permalink]
kamikazefstorm
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to kamikazefstorm
Hmm..........Inuyasha maybe?
kamikazefstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 05:14 AM   #22   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Originally Posted by dheu View Post
Correction: The anime is called "Samurai 7," based on the live action movie "Seven Samurai."
I stand corrected

Currently watching:
Sengoku basara, very loosely based on the sengoku period, then again one of the villains is a chick who uses a minigun with depleted uranium rounds and lots of rediculouse fighting technique ala dragonballz, so don't expect too much of it.

Souten kuro, very loosely based on Romance of the three kingdom, I think the only similarity end with the names of the characters, the rest is pulled out of someones ass.
Old 21-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #23   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Azumanga Daioh is awesome.
It most definitely isn't.

The reason why they don't make more anime in a work setting is simple: they're not catering to the average working person. They're trying to get students to watch their shows, and students aren't really familiar with work environments. So they try to relate the characters to what the students will know.
Actually, it would be far more productive if anime lets these students know what the real world is like, to prepare them for an adult life. Otherwise, anime will only serve to trap people in a psychologically immature state detrimental to society. Show these students how fake life inside high school is.

It'd be nice to see less school-oriented anime, but at the same time I've just grown to reluctantly accept that the school is - according to anime - the only place in Japan where anything happens.
Why do we need to accept it? I wouldn't touch an anime set in high school with a barge pole, and I wish them all a commercial failure. I can't understand why people older than 18 would be interested in this kind of stuff - I'd have thought people would want to move away from all this juvenile nonsense.

For example, why do young adults like seeing The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya? Why do they like seeing some generic Japanese girl pratting around in high school looking for ET? And shite like Haruhi dressing up in a bunny suit singing? Seriously, what the ----? You'd be better off watching bloody Hey Arnold!, a kids' show which doesn't have an unusual young adult following. And why's there a "melancholy" in the title - just to sound cool or something?

Having a familiar setting isn't everything, of course. I was a bartender, and I watched Bartender, and I kept getting caught up on the things they did wrong.
How can they get something like being a bartender wrong? Did the bartender use the wrong ingredients or shake drinks at the wrong angle?

Plus that weird japanese submissiveness bothered me endlessly, when in the same position any episode I was in would end in a few minutes after I said "Oh quit your whining, drunkey."
You mean a uniquely Japanese submissiveness? Are you talking about some sort of Japanese stiff upper lip that cracks under a few drinks due to the strain of keeping all that emotion under wraps? On the other hand, drunk morons whining about stuff is common in developed countries.

Samurai Champloo, story about two samurai and a girl looking for the sunflower samurai, getting into trouble along the way.
I saw one episode of this and didn't really get into it. There was some silly Hollywood-style fight scene and then this, what I can only presume to be, comedy bimbo popping up at the end. *Yawn*.

Princess mononoke, a great movie from studio Ghibli should be avaible everywhere on DVD.
Princess Mononoke, however, I can endorse. It does have guns though, or more specifically hand cannons. It deals with the dissolution of humanity's respect for nature, a serious issue which is a far cry from the slop anime like Haruhi deals with.

Originally Posted by kamikazefstorm View Post
Hmm..........Inuyasha maybe?
For Inuyasha, just watch the first 20 episodes and imagine these 20 episodes repeating ad infinitum. Then you can skip the rest of the episodes.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 21-06-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 21-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #24   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

On Haruhi defense, the melancholie part of the title refers to a deeper theme of the serie, Haruhi is some kind of super beign that could creates or destroy worlds with a mere thought. This anime takes the egocentric belief that one person can think that the world is created around them and if they cease to exist that they would take the universe they live in with them, that is exactly what Haruhi is. It is also said some episode that the alien, time traveller and psychic all came to beign because Haruhi in a melancholy mood thought them into existense. To me this sound like a very adult theme, wrapped in a humorous package.
Old 21-06-2009, 11:50 PM   #25   [permalink]
kamikazefstorm
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to kamikazefstorm
Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
For Inuyasha, just watch the first 20 episodes and imagine these 20 episodes repeating ad infinitum. Then you can skip the rest of the episodes.
The anime, yes. The manga, no for a fairly large chunk of it.
kamikazefstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #26   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

On Haruhi defense, the melancholie part of the title refers to a deeper theme of the serie, Haruhi is some kind of super beign that could creates or destroy worlds with a mere thought. This anime takes the egocentric belief that one person can think that the world is created around them and if they cease to exist that they would take the universe they live in with them, that is exactly what Haruhi is. It is also said some episode that the alien, time traveller and psychic all came to beign because Haruhi in a melancholy mood thought them into existense. To me this sound like a very adult theme, wrapped in a humorous package.
That to me sounds like Haruhi tackles a potentially adult theme in a very juvenile way. OK, at least the "melancholy" in the title is not totally random, and there is some semblance of depth to the story. However, as I mentioned to MeMyself in his thread on Tenjho Tengo, it's about how well a potentially adult theme is portrayed that marks out an anime as deep or not.

Having a potentially mature theme is no guarantee of depth, because even anime like Digimon deals with death (Wizardmon) in a superficial way. In the case of Haruhi, we're talking about an egocentric spoilt brat having delusions of grandeur - an infantile regression of the highest degree. Few adults would be able to relate to this dilemma, which marks it out as a fundamentally juvenile issue aimed at a juvenile audience. Fantasizing about aliens, time travellers and psychics is something a schizophrenic would do, and is in no way indicative of maturity.

I suspect this is why young adults like the show so much - because they revel in the juvenile atmosphere and refuse to grow up.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 22-06-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 23-06-2009, 07:12 AM   #27   [permalink]
bankaimaster

Send a message via MSN to bankaimaster
Sengoku Basara is good .... here is a small read up of it, I watch the first 4 ep's so far and liked it

Visually similar to the Samurai Warriors series, Sengoku Basara takes place during the Sengoku Period, or Warring States Period, during which Japan was split into many minor states battling over power and land. The game features two historical warlords as the main characters: Sanada Yukimura and Date Masamune. Devil Kings' main character is the Devil King (Oda Nobunaga in Sengoku Basara).
Old 27-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #28   [permalink]
crazyplay

Berserk
crazyplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #29   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
For your own sake John, don't watch Kenshin. Or maybe you can only watch it once. Certainly the OVAs I'd recommend to the OP (its straight Meiji era assassins and soldiers) but the TV was super powers and endless midfight commentary.

Continuing the off-topic, I think high schools are the easiest settings for some creators because we all went to school and its the only place where we had to constantly learn/adapt and move amongst people we might not like. Suzumiya Haruhi for instance had to occur in a highschool, because in reality we tend not to meet new good friends, or strange, rude people get fired from the workplace quickly.

Back on topic, I can't add much to the already great recommendations. Twelve Kingdoms was certainly my first thought.

Ragnarok is an anime based on an MMO, so its pretty much hih fantasy, in Japanese.
Lodoss War is an anime I never watched beyond ep 1, but it looks to be Tolkien, in Japanese.
Claymore is an anime I highly recommend. Its about half demons who hunt demons to protect humans.

There is also an anime, but I think it was a romance/girls anime called "Fushigi Yuugi". I only saw a few eps almost a decade ago, but it was set in feudal China.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anime, fantasy, recommendations