Old 13-03-2007, 09:21 PM   #31   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Personally I wish they'd hire a few of these fansubbing groups and get them on the job. Their subtitles are always far superior to the professional ones. They explain linguistic jokes, backstory etc on the go. They also have titles translated and out there within days of Japanese release.

One thing I do not want to see, is english dubbing becoming more the norm. Someone like Sam probably can't appreciate it due to his bilingual(?) nature, but someone like me finds it immensely more enjoyable to read anime. The reason being that voice actors are ------- crap half the time, and the other half its just too hard to disassociate proper voice acting from children's shows. Thus why pixar etc keep using normal actors for roles in their animations IMO. Who cares if they can't do much with their voice. It re-assures the audience that they're not being spoken down to, or watching a children's cartoon.

Thing on all the really high pitched, sweety voices that a lot of anime girls use. Actually being Japanese and hearing how fake that voice is would really damage immersion. Being an english speaker however, it seems natural that the sultry character has a really sultry voice, the naive character has a dumb voice, and the badass villain has a quiet, calm voice.
Well, okay, I would say that unless the voice acting is on the par with the kind of effort that Disney puts into their major productions, then yes, their is quite a bit lost in the verbal translation. This is not to say that subtitling is perfect (the Hong Kong rips come to mind) ... but that the original intonation tends to work better for the character in conveying the emotional intent.

Yet, with all of this said, a really good dub can be satisfying AND ease market acceptance - especially for the young anime viewer. I still have some hope that progress will be made to "integrate" effective language elements into an anime series from the ground up ... where cg overlays could be used to match and or digitally morph alignment for the particular lip/jaw/tongue of a given language. Secondly, leave all the songs in their native language and ....
within reason try to work some narrative device to explain truly non intuitive cultural elements for the global market.
Old 14-03-2007, 01:30 AM   #32   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
To sum up my feelings Sam, there is now hordes of retards who write "Believe it" here and there.

------- hell that is a stupid saying. How does it even replace dattebayo anyway? Sometimes he's not saying something that could end in "Believe it", so how do they translate that ----?

They should probably have just left dattebayo in there. Its not like American audiences wont adapt the word. They'll know by the fact that only Naruto uses it that it is a signature line. So they wont know that it makes him sound lowbrow, but thats a small loss.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 04:05 AM   #33   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

To sum up my feelings Sam, there is now hordes of retards who write "Believe it" here and there.

------- hell that is a stupid saying. How does it even replace dattebayo anyway? Sometimes he's not saying something that could end in "Believe it", so how do they translate that ----?

They should probably have just left dattebayo in there. Its not like American audiences wont adapt the word. They'll know by the fact that only Naruto uses it that it is a signature line. So they wont know that it makes him sound lowbrow, but thats a small loss.
Well, to be fair, I said a GOOD dub ... and they do exist, Cowboy Bebop comes to mind.

... as to the dattebayo ending ... yes, I feel your pain, it DOES get irritating to hear that all the time ... I wonder if if something like "Yeah!" instead of dattebayo would be any better ... or even something like the Marines Hoohaaw! ... but in any case, I would leave that up to those truly in the know.

Sam
Old 14-03-2007, 04:53 PM   #34   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
I never watched Bebop in dub mode. Never will. Its just not a scar I need.

I occasionally hear some of my favourite anime in dub mode when my comp resets its default audio track back to english. I was shocked to hear Ruri's voice in Nadesico. She sounded like a full grown woman. More proof that voice actors need to exagerrate the sound and do it in a foreign language.
Old 14-03-2007, 05:24 PM   #35   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

I never watched Bebop in dub mode. Never will. Its just not a scar I need.

I occasionally hear some of my favourite anime in dub mode when my comp resets its default audio track back to english. I was shocked to hear Ruri's voice in Nadesico. She sounded like a full grown woman. More proof that voice actors need to exagerrate the sound and do it in a foreign language.
... actually, I was thinking that the best compromise would be a multilingual actor/actress ... who is fluent in the target languages. In such a scenario, the voice dub would or could still have the same intonations and qualities of the primary language ... with the added benefit of being accessible to a larger demographic.

Sam
Old 15-03-2007, 01:00 AM   #36   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

But the qualities of understanding a voice that is acting, suck.
Lets wait a while. Eventually Pixar and Disney will make voice acting a little less associated with children in our minds.
Old 15-03-2007, 02:48 AM   #37   [permalink]
sidewinder
Forum Addicted

Anime (new) prices are still horrendous...I was raiding Best Buy a while back and I crapped a brick when I picked up the Samurai Champloo box set and saw the price. ~$170 for a series only a season long? Large-budget feature films may charge $20 per dvd, but how can a tv series justify such a cost (when spreading out the series over several dvds)? They can't.

You can pick up a series like Evangelion for what? $40 now? Like hell i'm gonna pay $100 or more for an anime. Brand new, a series like Samurai Champloo should sell for a third of what they're asking.

vBulletin Message:
Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote