Old 14-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #1   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
What got you hooked?

It's an easy question what anime got you hooked on watching? I'm curious to see what shows posters here can remember as being the one that got 'em and kept them watching all these crazy imports from that mystical land of Japan.

So when I was like 17 I got my first job which was at Blockbuster video. It was sort of the dream job for a 17 year old kid who loved watching movies, reading comics, and listening to loud mopey music. Working at the video store was great because I got at least 3 free rentals a week and 20% off buying things. I used this opportunity to watch a whole lot of anime. At the time (the far away land of 1999), Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon were pretty much at the apex of their popularity. Pokemon had more or less exploded into this weird fad that's still lingering on today. Anyways, as a huge fan of all of the above as well as reading Carl Gustav Horn's column at the time in Wizard, I used this as an opportunity to delve further and further into this weird phenomenom about which I wanted to learn more.

So it was there that I exposed myself to the like of such classics as Ninja School (I think this was the name of it) and Fushigi Yugi (long before I had any concept of Shoujo and Shonen). I wish I was kidding but I pretty much watched most the anime they had in stock. Luckily though they had titles like Ninja Scroll, Akira, and Ghost in the Shell (which to this day I will argue is better than the source material it came from) that I watched voraciously. Those anime continue to influence me to this day (for better or for worse). However, I want to talk about one anime that until recently I hadn't thought about in years. A series that I'm sort of flabbergasted I had not thought much about in almost 10 years.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am of course talking about

The Guyver.

See for me the more I think about it, the more this series was sort of a transitional thing for me. It was this transition from watching more kid friendly stuff like Ronin Warriors and Dragonball Z into far less kid friendly stuff like Akira. Now I should warn you The Guyver is not particularly deep nor is the plot particularly original. In fact, the reason I haven't thought about the Guyver in 10 years is that it's a pretty generic anime at this point in my experience as viewer. However at the time, this series came to me at just the right point in my life. You see it had all the elements of all the things I was really, really into like Spawn and the X-Files. It also was the kind of show that a 17 year old boy would love. It had a teenage protagonist who had the hots for a cute girl, a trust friend, and he was a superhero. Of course the most important part was that it was super, super violent. How violent?

Well here's the opening to the OVA.

Now imagine 30 minutes of that. That's pretty much what the Guyver was and I loved every violent minute of it. Heck I even watched the really short one part OAV that was probably even more violent! For me, this was like mind blowing. Looking back on it, I can see why I thought Guyver was awesome. Like I said, I liked that it was violent. The main character gets obliterated in one episode only to come back to life. I'm pretty sure at one point kills his own dad. The whole story was werid and convoluted. The monster designs were completely freaky to me at the time. Like I said, this was all stuff that as a 17 year old kid I loved to death. It's for those reasons I am pretty sure I also really didn't remember it until just recently. It's big, it's dumb, and doesn't require a lot of thought. I was reminded of it because I found out they did a new series. The new series is about twenty times less violent (or at least the first episode was). No Zoanoids (the bad guys of the series) get dismembered radically or vaporized but there's a enough disturbing imagery in it that I hope it inspires some youngster to eventually discover the likes of Ninja Scroll, Akira, and Ghost in the Shell. Also it reminded me that at one time, I really, really liked this show and I'm glad that I could have that fond memory return even if the source doesn't quite live up to what I remember it being.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 01:29 AM   #2   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

My memory's a bit fuzzy but it was something like this:

Mid-'90s, a friend lent me a tape of Urotsukidoji cuz, like, it was cartoon pr0n! Of course I was interested. After trying to fathom what the hell that was about, minus tentacles engorging neked girls, there were a few episodes of Ranma 1/2 at the end of the tape which I watched a billion times (first four eps of the series and the first two eps of the OVA). So as much as I'd like to say that Ranma 1/2 was my first experience with anime, it was actually Urotsukidoji.

After that, I watched DBZ and Sailor Moon on TV and rented anything and everything, like Tenchi Muyo, Ranma 1/2, Battle Angel, Akira, Dirty Pair, Street Fighter etc. from a local video store. Oh, that also included hentai like Dragon Knight, Adventure Kid and Twin Dolls. I literally rented everything that store had.

Then I got into comic books and forgot about anime.

Then I graduated HS and forgot about everything... I think I got more into games and drinking or something.

Then in early 2000, some weird kid at where I worked practically shoved Cowboy Bebop down my throat (begged me to watch it, literally). So I did and I've been off and on with anime/manga ever since.

On a side note, my first anime purchase was Cowboy Bebop and my first fansub was Love Hina.

Guyver was cool, I think... I remember it being cool and I refuse to watch it again or anything regarding it so as to not destroy my (very limited) memory of it. The live action movie was horrible donkey balls, though.

Oh, to answer the thread question, I suppose it was Cowboy Bebop that truly began my fascination and, in some years, addiction to anime. Though, I will always treasure those six episodes of Ranma 1/2 and secretly believe that was where it really began.

Last edited by oppa; 16-07-2009 at 01:31 AM.
oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 07:45 AM   #3   [permalink]
Tsunami-X
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Tsunami-X
I remember way back in the day the sci-fi channel used to play random anime movies. I definitely remember seeing a Guyver movie on there, and Ghost in the Shell... There was another one with some kinda cop lady wearing a red jacket too. Can't remember the name.
DBZ was next and it went downhill from there.
First purchase was Akira.

Tsunami-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #4   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Originally Posted by Tsunami-X View Post
I remember way back in the day the sci-fi channel used to play random anime movies. I definitely remember seeing a Guyver movie on there, and Ghost in the Shell... There was another one with some kinda cop lady wearing a red jacket too. Can't remember the name.
DBZ was next and it went downhill from there.
First purchase was Akira.
I think you might be talking about Armitage which my brother to this day has tried to convince me is better than Ghost in the Shell!
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #5   [permalink]
Tsunami-X
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Tsunami-X
That was it. Thanks. I definitely want to watch all those movies again. I feel like I enjoyed Armitage more than GitS too, but I won't remember until I watch them again.
I don't have cable anymore, but does the sci-fi channel still play those movies?

Tsunami-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 04:06 AM   #6   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by Tsunami-X View Post
That was it. Thanks. I definitely want to watch all those movies again. I feel like I enjoyed Armitage more than GitS too, but I won't remember until I watch them again.
I don't have cable anymore, but does the sci-fi channel still play those movies?
They do play anime, though I have no idea what nowadays. I haven't caught anything on "Syfy" for a while now, long before they changed their name into something dorky.

EDIT: Umm... need to stay on topic!

Time for more firsts!

Shounen: Ranma 1/2
Seinen: Akira... or Dominion Tank Police... or maybe Bubblegum Crisis... geh, I forget.
Shoujo: Sailor Moon
Josei: Gokusen... no, think I only caught a few eps. Then probably Nana.

Last edited by oppa; 22-07-2009 at 04:17 AM.
oppa is offline   Reply With Quote