Old 06-08-2009, 11:54 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Thumbs up Tokyo Majin

Here is yet another teenagers-save-the-world anime. What Tokyo Majin lacks in originality, it does make up in quality. The storyline is interesting and well told. Although cliché, the characters still seem real. And there are cliffhangers.

Five high school students with special powers join forces with a strange antique dealer to fight demons. They are: (1) the rich girl class president, (2) her tough girl friend, (3) the school’s top jock, (4) the delinquent, and (5) the mysterious new student. Can they overcome their differences and become a team -- before they are killed?

I completed disc 1, episodes 1-5. It may take some time to get through this series. I watched each episode twice, one in English and once in Japanese with subtitles. I am not sure I got anything extra out of the Japanese version. Episode 1 was confusing in that they threw a lot of stuff at you, much of which did not seem to be irrelevant. But the next four episodes were rather elementary. There are some games played with time, in that we get little flashbacks that left out key points made earlier. But it is not hard to follow.

I'll be continuing the series and report back with my impressions. If you want to comment,
PLEASE NO SPOILERS!
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:13 AM   #2   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Teen superheroes? Time jumps? Possible death to characters? I'm sold. I'll add in my two cents once I start getting episodes.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:14 AM   #3   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
Weird looked like you types that in word and pasted it in nice font choice i have watched some of this series and i enjoyed it.

Right now i just started watching Maria Holic and OMFG it is too funny!

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
Teen superheroes? Time jumps? Possible death to characters? I'm sold. I'll add in my two cents once I start getting episodes.

Just to clarify, the characters don't jump around in time. It's the episodes which scenes are not totally in chronological order. Also episode 1, which is an introduction, takes place after episode 2.

Also, people are hinting at a relationship between the two lead female characters, but those are just nasty rumors.

I haven't started disc 2 yet.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:54 PM   #5   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

And now I have finished disc 2, episodes 6-9. Our heros are drawing closer together as a team, and a new semi-member has joined them. Kyoko is a nosey reporter for the school newspaper who has no powers, but is useful in conducting research.

But it seems our heros all have secrets in their past, and some of them are pretty dark. This is especially true of Aoi, the rich girl/class president, who is the weakest of the team and who the others feel needs to be protected. But there is a tragedy in her past which makes Aoi the most driven, and the most sensitive to both the humans and demons who die. Will this sensitivity get the best of her?

We also get a few minor characters introduced, who do not seem to be as they appear. And our two villians, a somewhat effeminate male demon and a little girl demon, cause trouble.

There is one more disc for Season 1, Volume 1. Then there are two discs for volume 2.
Old 18-08-2009, 07:54 PM   #6   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Cool

So now I finished disc 3, episodes 10-13. This completes part 1 of the first season.

And there are secrets galore to learn. Even the villian Kozuku has a dark secret that drives him. Aoi has secrets that even she doesn't know about. They will change her life forever -- assuming she actually lives.

And Hiyu, the mysterious new kid, has a new girl friend. This little lady is certainly to die for -- and Hiyu may do just that!

It all leads up to the climatic battle in episode 13. With this story coming to an end, I wonder what the remaining episodes will bring?
Old 23-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #7   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Just wanted to say I really enjoyed this series, even though this isn't the typical series that I like. You make me want to rewatch it. Just wait until you hit Season 2.
Old 24-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #8   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Is season 2 available? Netflix doesn't have it.

I am halfway through disc 4. Comments later.
Old 24-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #9   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
I don't think Season 2 was ever released, although I could be wrong about that.
Old 25-08-2009, 11:50 PM   #10   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Well, let's keep our eyes open for season 2.

Meanwhile, I have completed disc 4, the first six episodes of part 2 of season 1. The first five episodes are the Martial Fist thread. Our team of demon busters is growing larger, but so is the danger.

We learn about the past of Kyouichi, the deliquent, as he faces death.

Daigo, the jock, has a crush on Sakurai, our female archer. Love may soon bloom, but Daigo's past has caught up with him and it may destroy Sakurai.

We meet the real villian. And Marie Claire (or is it Claire Marie?), the little girl demon from the first thread, returns and has a crush on somebody. Cute.

But then a new storyline begins with chapter 6, and things really take a dark and tragic turn as tragedy drives one of our heros to the edge.

It gets bloody, and there is a fair share of profanity. Don't let the kids watch.

One more disc to go.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #11   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I just finished the final disc, which has the last four episodes of the first season plus two bonus episodes. We get to see Tokyo destroyed right before the final battle, which does have a rather confusing setup.

As for the two bonus episodes, one shows the events up to the time they all met, which has been partally dealt with in the series, and the other takes place just before the final battle. Neither is very interesting and could have been left off the DVD.

There is a lot of action and a lot of blood. Getting sliced, diced and impaled only results in flesh wounds apparently. There is more than a fair amount of profanity, as well as drag queens. So keep the little ones away. The action sequences are pretty good.

Much of Tokyo Majin is nothing different than what you have seen before, except here they do it a bit better going beyond the limits of the super-teenagers-save-the-world animes you have watched. Though some of it is predictable, there still is plenty of excitement.

I put this one on my recommended list.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #12   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
Check out the romeo vs juliet series i watrhed it all in 3 days 100% worth it. Completely different story than shakeshpere

Old 02-09-2009, 11:08 PM   #13   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Are you referring to the second of the bonus episodes? There was a series made of that? The bonus episodes were the only thing I really, really didn't like.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:07 AM   #14   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=7087

Old 03-09-2009, 06:33 AM   #15   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by cool2burn View Post
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=7087
So this has nothing to do with Tokyo Majin.