Old 23-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #1   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Anime series discussion group

I think a good idea that we should have done awhile ago is create an anime discussion group in the vein of book clubs. A message board is ideal for this and this also has the added bonus of encouraging both discussion and watching anime. How about that? Anyways who would be up for a weekly discussion group where we would all vote for a series to watch, watch about 4-5 episodes or a movie weekly and then come back on a certain day and discuss various topics related to those episodes. It would have to be finite stories as long running series like Naruto or Ruroni Kenshin don't lend themselves well to that kind of discussion. Who would be up for this?
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #2   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
I'm up for it. I don't watch so much anime anymore, so it'd be nice to catch some series that I haven't seen, especially new ones.

Come on people, join up! This'll be fun.
Old 24-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #3   [permalink]
Tsunami-X
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Tsunami-X
I would definitely be up for certain movies (such as one's I could get through Netflix.com) or free online (such as YouTube.com/shows/Gundam 00 series).
If this group required the purchase of anime I probably couldn't participate too often. Buying anime is expensive around here (for the good stuff at least)

Tsunami-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #4   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Oh I completely understand about buying anime. Luckily with the advent of Youtube, there's plenty of ways to watch anime online. I know that Hulu has quite a few complete series up that people can watch for free and there are other sites that stream anime as well. So as to keep with the rules, we should not post links on the boards to sites like youtube or other places that have shows online where their legitimacy can be questioned. A place like Hulu I would think should be okay? I'll message Eva 2K about that.
Old 25-08-2009, 11:13 PM   #5   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Since there is interest, let's throw some series out there. I've been watching a lot of older Anime so maybe we could go in that vein. I've been itching to rewatch Cowboy Bebop honestly and this seems like a good enough reason to do so. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Old 25-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #6   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
Kemono no Souja

Well i have watched the first 29 eps of this series and it is amazing. Excellent storyline nice art and an incredible concepts.

Has anyone else been watching it according to ANN it is a 52 ep series.

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 07:03 AM   #7   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
I kinda got bored half way through, maybe i'll pick it up later. All they seem to do is tend to these giant komodo dragons and picking herbs.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 11:32 AM   #8   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
Yea it has picked up quite a bit the story is really deep so it is going to take a while.

Spoilers ahead: Highlight to read.

Erins mom died killed by the kindom erin tries to save her and as her mom is about to die she uses a weird power and has the toda take erin away.

She is saves by a beekeeper in a strange land this man used to be a teacher and he educates her.

Later she goes to a school to learn how to take care of beast lords. Well only the Queen is supposed to be able to talk to beast lords but erin has developed that relationship which is a big problem that the school is trying to hide. If it was found out a war could break out. Erin is in college now at the same beast lord school as of the last episode i cant wait to see more

Old 26-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #9   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

This actually looks pretty interesting. I'd be up for watching this.
Old 26-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #10   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

http://www.gogoanime.com/page/2?s=Kemono+no+Souja

check it out i think you will enjoy it.

Old 26-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #11   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
So as to keep with the rules, we should not post links on the boards to sites like youtube or other places that have shows online where their legitimacy can be questioned. A place like Hulu I would think should be okay? I'll message Eva 2K about that.
Originally Posted by cool2burn
http://www.gogoanime.com/page/2?s=Kemono+no+Souja
check it out i think you will enjoy it.
Enjoy the rest of your discussion with cool2burn, Project_Akira.

By the way, I don't see what's so good about Kemono no Souja anyway: just looks like some immature, naive little girl trying to raise some weird, silly little animal. Where's the relation to reality here? Where's the maturity? Sounds like a rip-off of Pokemon or Digimon.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #12   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
Enjoy the rest of your discussion with cool2burn, Project_Akira.

By the way, I don't see what's so good about Kemono no Souja anyway: just looks like some immature, naive little girl trying to raise some weird, silly little animal. Where's the relation to reality here? Where's the maturity? Sounds like a rip-off of Pokemon or Digimon.
Wow way to prejudge something you havent even attempted to watch ummm your like 180 off of what you said there erin is at no time raised by any animals.

The series accually has a accual storyline and lots of mystery.

Old 26-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #13   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by cool2burn View Post
Wow way to prejudge something you havent even attempted to watch ummm your like 180 off of what you said there erin is at no time raised by any animals.
I said Erin was the one raising the animals - what looks like a black Charizard, complete rip-off of Pokemon.

Originally Posted by cool2burn View Post
The series accually has a accual storyline and lots of mystery.
So what's the story? Some naive little girl raises Pokemon and uses them to fight other people? Where's the mystery? That Charizard doesn't gobble her up? Why, that's because she has a deep spiritual connection with giant lizards! Which are symbolic of the beauty of life! Or something! Sounds like bloody Tales from Earthsea.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #14   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Guess you would just have to watch it to see

I suggest watching Episode 7 and you would not think this is for kids i would never let my daughter watch this show ^^

Old 27-08-2009, 12:54 AM   #15   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Could you guys please try to be civil? I would appreciate it if this thread doesn't get turned into a spat between people. If you have problems with one another, please leave that in Members Only or General Anime discussion where that's more appropriate. Let's try to talk about anime here guys without antagonizing each other

Cool2Burn, I appreciate you wanting to share the anime but I did ask not to post links to anime series on here. I'm pretty sure it's against the rules and I would prefer not to have this thread closed and start another one. I'm going to wait until Dheu gets back and see if she's up to watching this series before we start our discussion.