Old 27-08-2009, 02:39 AM   #16   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
Cool2Burn, I appreciate you wanting to share the anime but I did ask not to post links to anime series on here. I'm pretty sure it's against the rules and I would prefer not to have this thread closed and start another one. I'm going to wait until Dheu gets back and see if she's up to watching this series before we start our discussion.
Whatever i was being civil i think posting links to unlinced anime well if its gonna get me banned then go banstick go. Really it is stupid rules like that which eventually lead to where we are now....

I was just trying to make some interesting posts to try to get people involved.

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #17   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by cool2burn
Guess you would just have to watch it to see

I suggest watching Episode 7 and you would not think this is for kids i would never let my daughter watch this show ^^
I'm not inclined to watch a butchered version of Digimon. Why should I watch it - why is it as mature as you claim it is?

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
Could you guys please try to be civil? I would appreciate it if this thread doesn't get turned into a spat between people. If you have problems with one another, please leave that in Members Only or General Anime discussion where that's more appropriate. Let's try to talk about anime here guys without antagonizing each other
We are being civil and we are talking about anime. What are you so worried about anyway? Empirical evidence shows that new members are extremely unlikely to post no matter what type of threads come up, and no matter how much we lie to new members in their welcome threads.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #18   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
I'm up for Kemono no Souja.

Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
I'm not inclined to watch a butchered version of Digimon. Why should I watch it - why is it as mature as you claim it is?
Actually, no one was asking you to watch it. We were looking for people who are open-minded and are willing to discuss an anime after seeing it. That way they've actually got a logical basis they can rest their opinions on, which is a concept you clearly aren't familiar with.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:05 AM   #19   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
Empirical evidence shows that new members are extremely unlikely to post no matter what type of threads come up, and no matter how much we lie to new members in their welcome threads.

Anyway, with that taken care of, might I make a modest suggestion?

Kaiba (Opening credits) is only 12 episodes long, is very creatively animated, and is one of the most thoughtful and thought-provoking anime released since FLCL.

The gist of the show is that memories have been transferred into removable chips and the world has stratified into people who can afford to modify and purchase whichever memories they wish and people who must sell their bodies and have their minds and memories placed in cold storage while other people make use of their body.

The main character repeatedly changes bodies in the show which makes for a very unique continuity, yet the plot is very coherent and incredibly dense.

It's the most remarkable show I've seen in years and has still not been licensed for release in the US.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #20   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

I'm up for Kaiba too, which might be a better choice in this case since it is short and we'll be able to hit the discussion quickly.

I watched an episode of it, found myself intrigued, and then was forced to drop it when Real Life got in the way. I'd be definitely willing to pick it back up again and see where it goes.

But then again, I haven't seen much new stuff in the last few years, so I'm really up for anything.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #21   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Hmm...Kaiba. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about this anime, but I haven't had a chance to get around to it. I think I'll start watching it next week.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #22   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Kaiba it is then! Let's watch the first 4 episodes by next Saturday and I'll post some questions that we can use to get this discussion going. I'm glad that this has a great reception

Edit; If you guys have questions that you think would start good discussions, feel free to post them and we can answer them next Saturday!

Last edited by Project Akira; 05-09-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Didn't mean to be a glory hog.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #23   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

I know that our discussion doesn't start untill Saturday, but I just finished watching the first episode....WTF!? I mean, in a good way. This has to be one of the strangest anime that I have watched in awhile. The animation style reminds me a little of Astro Boy. The first episode definately left a good impression on me.

I won't go too far into the story as I've I only watched the first episode but for the most part, the story seems simple, yet complicated at the same time. Planning on finishing up the rest of the episodes Friday night.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #24   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
I too watched the first episode and while the story is interesting i just plain hate the animation style i will try 1 more ep but i dont know if i will make it thru this series!

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:02 AM   #25   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Watched episode 2 of Kaiba. I have a better understanding of the story after watching this episode. But wow! This series couldn't be anymore stranger...and bit perverted too!! Anyways, I wonder what whom exactly Warp is and what those symbols on his stomach represent.

In any case, Im definately hooked on this now. With technology advancing as we speak, I wonder if the real world could become like this with the whole transfer of memories and all! I'll post back my overall analysis of the first four episodes once I finish the last two.
Old 13-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #26   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Okay finally watched the first four episodes and wow. This is a great show to start off this discussion group. There's a lot of things I want to talk about but I'll try not to hog things.

Somethings to discuss to talk about in regards to the series...

How reliable is the point of view for the series when it's been made clear that memories can be maniuplated?
Just how permanent is the memory manipulation in this universe?
How does the animation style help the story?
What recurring motifs and imagery have we seen so far?
Old 13-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #27   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Wow...what in the world you have me watching Project Akira? Haha! This one hell of a watch here. I find this series so far to be very peculiar. In any case, I'll try to answer the questions presented here as best as I can, although Im having some difficulty grasping the story.

How reliable is the point of view for the series when it's been made clear that memories can be maniuplated? IMO, not too reliable at all because it can easily change at the drop of the dime because memories can be switched and altered so easily. That is what so scary about it. As soon as the viewer is able to grasp on one point of view, bam! It changes drastically. I can only imagine how crazier things will get with the next four episodes.

Just how permanent is the memory manipulation in this universe? Hmm....based on what I've watched so far, Im not sure. It seems like its endless to me.

How does the animation style help the story? Well, to be honest, the animation style can be quite ugly at times yet it has a few brights spots. To be honest, this is probably one of the few anime that can get away with it because the story is so engaging that the viewers don't focus on it too much. This style doesn't bother me too much at all.

What recurring motifs and imagery have we seen so far? Hmm...watching memories of the past being displayed out. Bodies being disregarded as trash as long as the memories are intact....I think I may have to come back to this question here.
Old 16-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #28   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Sorry, I've taken so long to respond to my own questions. I was hoping some of the other members would make some points but I'm sure we've all been pretty busy this week. Please be warned that spoilers abound here.

I'm in agreement that the point of view that we're seeing is entirely unreliable. A lot of the assumptions that other characters are making about Warp (that he lost his memory, he has a girlfriend, etc.) are the ones that we're making as the audience. We have no info to substantiate anything that we know about this character.

I'd also agree that the memory replacement isn't nearly as permanent as we've been led to believe. The second episode is the clue here. When the investigator went inside the mind of the prositute, or whatever it was that used Warp's body so that she could have sex with herself, there were a lot of closed vaults (more on this later) but some reading material. In episode 4, when Vanilla is chasing after Warp to find out where Chroniko is (unaware that Warp and Chroniko are the same person), the same motif is used of the locked vaults. Also there's episode 3 where Chroniko's aunt apparently hasn't erased her memories but instead has merely just taken them out. I get the feeling that memory erasure is some sort of myth that someone is perpetuating in the world of Kaiba but the more we watch, the more I'm sure we'll find out.

I'll talk more about my thoughts on the animation when we finish the series.

As for recurring motifs, the most obvious one to me are holes. The first episode, we're constantly seeing holes. There really aren't any windows. There is of course the most obvious hole the one being in the middle of Warp. Then there is the less obvious one, the hole in Kaiba's memory. But more that just those exist throughout the series. There's the hole that people go into to investigate one's memories. The hole that people walk through to get from one place to another.

Most importantly though are the holes in memory and knowledge that aren't so obvious. The girl that Butter is using to smuggle memory chips not knowing why Butter is using her. The twins not knowing what their grandfather's treasure is nor how to properly stow away on a ship. I think these "holes" are going to be the key to understanding the series.
Old 16-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #29   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Gimme until tomorrow to finish watching the episodes, and I'll throw up my thoughts too.
Old 22-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #30   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by Hiigaran View Post
Data from 2006: http://www.animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=59109.

Also, look at the members list for members from 2007-2009: http://www.animeboards.com/memberlis...indate&page=11.

Of course, if you paid any attention to my previous posts, you'd know this already. But of course, you don't pay attention. Instead, you post silly pictures thinking that's a valid argument.

On topic. I might check out this Kaiba on Wikipaedia.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 22-09-2009 at 06:41 PM.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote