Old 06-10-2009, 11:01 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Question I My Me! Strawberry Eggs

First of all, I can't figure out what the title is supposed to mean. After watching disc 1, episodes 1-4, I don't even know if I want to watch the rest of the series. But I decided to go to disc 2 for reasons I will get into below.

The premise: Hibiki Amawa is a recent college graduate looking for work as a gym teacher. His gun toting elderly landlady is threatening to eat his dog if he does not come up with the rent. He can't get a job at the local private high school because they only hire women. So with the help of his landlady, Hibiki becomes a woman and gets the job.

Maybe I've been watching too much anime, but for the first three episodes, the situations seemed too familiar. I pretty much knew what would happen. They followed a pretty basic formula. But in the middle of episode 3, the nature of the series begins to change. Hibiki cares about his students, especially Fuko. Episode 4 is totally different in that it does not go in only for cheap laughs. It actually is quite tender. Episode 4 made me want to continue with the series.

More later after I watch disc 2. Meanwhile, if you have anything to say -- PLEASE NO SPOILERS! I may end up watching the whole thing.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #2   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
The title should be I MY ME lolita!

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I watched disc 2, episodes 5-7. Hibiki is arousing the suspicions of the assistant principle. Meanwhile, he/she continues to teach her students important life lessons -- such as a big heart is more important than big breasts! There is a bit of fan service in that episode.

Anyway, I've lost interest. Unfortunately, Netflix already sent disc 3 before I could delete it from my list. I might as well quickly finish the series at this point.
Old 15-10-2009, 11:26 PM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

As I said, Netflix already sent disc 3 to me before I could take the rest of the series off my list. Actually, in episodes 8-10 things start to get interesting as several love triangles develop. Actually, it is all predictable. And one side of one triangle involves Hibiki and Fuko. I will say no more about it other than it is predictable -- and just a bit sick. Still, it's not as bad as Please! Teacher where we actually saw a silouette of a male teacher getting it on with one of the female students. Still, what is it with the Japanese that they have this thing about grown men and 14-15 year-old-girls? I know the age of consent in Japan is 14, but really. . . !

With one more disc, I might as well watch the rest and see if the series redeems itself. But that might be a while. There is a short wait on Netflix before the next disc become available.
Old 16-10-2009, 02:21 AM   #5   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
No No this is much worse than please teacher and please twins put together i think this was one anime that was bordering on just plain illegal

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 12:08 AM   #6   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I don't know what the laws are in Japan, other than the age of consent being 14. But at least I My Me does not have teachers having sex with their students as did Please! Teacher. Or at least not through the first 10 episodes.

I figure I might as well finish the series to give it my final judgement. There's only one disc left, and Netflex should get it to me Monday or Tuesday. It was not available locally.
Old 20-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #7   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Thumbs down

I completed the series. The ending was not totally predictable. It was slightly different than what I though would happen. And it could have been worse considering the posibility of a relationship between a grown man and a 14-year-old girl. It still was at times borderline sick.

There were some good moments, but there were even more dull moments. They certainly pull out all the gender-bending cliches they could.

Skip this one.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #8   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
I remember being caught out by this anime years ago. I watched it and considered that it might be challenging my views on what is more important - appearance of safety/normality or actual results?
Then I decided it might just be using that to hide some weird fetish ----. Eitherway, never seen it since.

BTW, watch out for Kodomo no Jikan. I saw ep1 and wondered whether I just appeared on some list somewhere.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:41 AM   #9   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Ugh... I thought the series had promise at first, as long as it remained good natured about the topic of teacher student relationships ... but, for me, it crossed the line when Hibiki started to "fall" for Fuko. IMO, if the writers kept to slapstick gags on gender issues, while maintaining the professional standards mandated for teachers, it would have been entertaining for me.

In short, the fan service and lolita overtones killed it for me.

Last edited by SamIam; 09-11-2009 at 01:43 AM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #10   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I thought the slapstick and gender issues were a bit cliche. The series did score some points when it showed Hibiki enfluencing his students for the better.

Then there are the Lolita issues. This seems to be common in Japanese anime. I wonder how common these relationships are in real life. True the age of consent in Japan is 14, and Fuko is 14. But really! How can a grown man have the hots for what is scarcely more than a little girl. Ugh is right!
Old 11-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #11   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
All the pedo stuff aside, that same question can be applied to almost any series involving attractive vampires.

I can at least understand that Angel wasn't well designed when he met Buffy, and so I think they dropped that stuff quickly once he had his own series. No more 17yo cheerleaders..his women companions were grown, strong women.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #12   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Is there a point you are trying to make? What is all this stuff about vampires? We are talking about an adult male teacher and a 14-year-old child.

While I don't advocate having sex for most 17-year-olds, since many of that age are not emotionally equiped to handle the responsibility (no matter how grown up they think they are), there is quite a difference between a 17-year-old who is almost a grown woman and a 14-year-old who is still just a kid.
Old 13-11-2009, 07:15 PM   #13   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

There was undoubtedly a point in time when a 14yo girl was considered marriagable, and probably, ready for procreation. We can look at eastern and middle eastern cultures to see that it is not out of the realm of possibility. Sadly my own knowledge of history for westerners is rather lacking so I'm not sure when our general society would've considered it fine, but seeing as we have mormons doing it this very day it can't have been too long ago.

What is my point? More just I was going off on a tangent. There is only so much you can say about a grown man and a 14yo girl. If you want to expand the conversation, you must consider other stories which suggest a similar scenario. In this case, "Buffy" the vampire slayer made it ok for a 240 year old vampire to be sleeping with (taking the virginity of!) a 17yo girl, because they needed the "old vampire" thing, but their lead character was so young.
Once you took away the lead character, and started showing how much experience the vampire has had, it is my belief that you wouldn't be able to convince the audience that it was ok for him to be falling for a little (relatively) girl.

We can expand this conversation even further by looking at how old "Edward Cullen" is relative to Bella. I have not watched the movies nor read the books, and avoid anything to do with that junk at all. Yet here I am, a guy with very few friends and very little contact with things like TV, and I know a fair bit about the series. As we look upon the Japanese, imagine another race looking upon us and wondering: "My god..here is a series aimed at young girls, and the main lover for the high school girl is a guy older than most people's grandfathers".

I My Me is indeed a messed up story, but we have plenty of our own. It is just that our own story creators are operating within our own guidelines. They'll know when a character is too young to drink or have sex. If we become a society that thinks "no sex before 20", will hitting on an 18yo become risque?

EDIT: Oh and I don't consider 17yos to be "almost grown". I think its more like "more likely to be treated at almost grown". Give a person's personality context and I think it does the rest through imitation and such. When I was 18 I remember going on a date with a 16yo. We were worlds apart. Her mind was used to the idea of school, of tobacco and alcohol being an illegal substance etc. I realise this is just 1 person and can't speak for all 17yos, but I think the same problem exists. Until a person is told they're an adult, they cannot be an adult. A 14yo who has lost her family and needs to look after her 6yo brother will probably grow up faster (mentally) than a 17yo who is going to Uni after she graduates, paid for entirely by her parents. I was stupid at 14, but I was still stupid at 17. Hell, I'm 25 and only just begining to see the value in being more responsible. 3 years makes a big difference in teen years, but 200 years is an enormous difference in adult years.

Last edited by Pengi_Ken-Ohki; 13-11-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 14-11-2009, 04:32 AM   #14   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki View Post
There was undoubtedly a point in time when a 14yo girl was considered marriagable, and probably, ready for procreation. We can look at eastern and middle eastern cultures to see that it is not out of the realm of possibility. Sadly my own knowledge of history for westerners is rather lacking so I'm not sure when our general society would've considered it fine, but seeing as we have mormons doing it this very day it can't have been too long ago.
That is true ... and within the context of life expectancy (for the era) then it makes a certain logistical sense. Take for example the European "Middle Ages" ... if I recall, the average age for the average person was aproximately 35 years. Thus, within this context, procreative maturation was a much more important factor in the desire for (what we nowadays would consider) an extremely young marriage/relationship. Interesting coincidence ... the ratio of 35 to 12-14, is quite similar to the present ratio of for north america at 77 years to 25*. ... where the longer lifespan is offset by a steeper learning curve to become a "fully functional" adult capable of maintaining a successful nuclear family.

*the age that north americans see as being the "ideal" age for marriage.
Old 14-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #15   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I'm still trying to figure out how Buffy The Vampire Slayer figures into all this. I saw the show a few times and throught it was idiotic, not to mention poorly done.

Adding to what SamIAm posted, I would note that in prior ages kids grew up a lot faster than they did today because they often had to go to work at a young age -- sometimes almost from the moment they could walk.

Anyway, age difference aside, and beside the fact that Fuko is obviously mentally a child, the relationship between a teacher and student probably shouldn't include a romantic relationship. Can an teacher objectively teach the student if they are involved? Can the student learn when she is shacking up with the teacher? I kind of doubt it.