Old 11-11-2010, 07:38 AM   #1   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Fairytale

Surprised no other threads with this title. This anime seems to be quite popular. Its kind of like Naruto except fewer flashbacks..more crying though. Will see how we go. Wish I'd seen the manga. Now that US$ is so bad I might be able to order some soon.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Question

I trust the title is misleading. Are they fairies in the sense of the ancient European legends of malevolent creatures? Or maybe like the characters out of Shakespeare’s Mid-Summer Night’s Dream?

Tell more, but without any spoilers just in case I find the series.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 03:16 AM   #3   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Imagine if Naruto was called "Konoha". Fairytale is the same. "Fairytale" is just the name of the organisation the characters belong to. They all have special powers and techniques belonging to several classes (like Naruto's genjutsu, taijutsu and ninjutsu). There are multiple nations with each nation having a guild or a few. If I were to draw parallels it'd definitely look like a rip off but its enjoyable on its own. I only mention the similarities so that you know if you liked Naruto you'll like this.
Although it is a lot less violent than naruto..bit weaksauce in that dept.
Old 18-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I never watched Naruto. Naruto doesn't seem like an anime I'd be interested in, so maybe I wouldn't be interested in Fairytale either. Netflix doesn't have it anyway -- at least not yet.

However, if anyone else can add to Pengi's comments and convince me otherwise, I try to keep an open mind!
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 01:47 AM   #5   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Several months later....

I've read the manga for Fairytail (how it's spelled in the manga series), and I found it to be pretty enjoyable, above-average fare that feels more in the line of One Piece in terms of comedy and occasional wackiness.

I saw an episode or two of the anime but was not quite as impressed as the budget showed a bit too clearly for my tastes. But I liked it well enough. The best part of the series (both manga and anime) is the strong characterization and humor.

Overall, it's just fun and I would recommend trying out a few episodes to see if you like it.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:48 AM   #6   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

I'm a lot further in now. I haven't really read the manga.
Fairytail is so derivative of those kinds of shows (Naruto, Bleach etc). Haven't continued the series. I hate dragged out storylines.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:01 AM   #7   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
I have been watching it as filler lately. It is ok. But i usually wait for a few eps then watch them all together. I dislike slow storylines. WEll maybe with the exception of One Piece.

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #8   [permalink]
lilredphoenix

FairyTale

Hi there,

Peng, could you go alittle more indepth with the storyline for me I am a bit interested but I still am not sure what this series is about what genre is it classified in maybe that would help me with out giving away too much of the plot for other members here.

I am the type of hardcore fan that actually likes having people tell me what it's all about and I mean "all" the good, the bad, and even the ugly (if it actually goes there) now I know there are alot of people that don't want to be told too much I do just in case I might miss something while reading the subtitling or happened to forget to pause the DVD player when I step away for some munchies.

Thanks for hearing my out.

Smiles
lilredphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:36 AM   #9   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
We dont really put spoilers on the message boards like that butt, you can get the manga for free online.

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:57 AM   #10   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Originally Posted by lilredphoenix View Post
Hi there,

Peng, could you go alittle more indepth with the storyline for me I am a bit interested but I still am not sure what this series is about what genre is it classified in maybe that would help me with out giving away too much of the plot for other members here.

I am the type of hardcore fan that actually likes having people tell me what it's all about and I mean "all" the good, the bad, and even the ugly (if it actually goes there) now I know there are alot of people that don't want to be told too much I do just in case I might miss something while reading the subtitling or happened to forget to pause the DVD player when I step away for some munchies.

Thanks for hearing my out.

Smiles
I don't mind giving some general spoilers, seeing as it follows a trope quite closely.

So basically you'll start off with a fairly weak character seeking out a strong group of magicians (so she can join). This allows her to provide the backstory for the group and the situation by gushing about them. She meets a rather ordinary character who she basically looks down on cos he seems so pathetic (kind of like Meryl and Vash the Stampede). Same thing as with Trigun. She finds out in a huge and dramatic way that the guy she is with belongs to the group she wants to join.

They then basically sort of introduce each character and their powers. They have the usual "tense" battle where its all over and there the main character finds more anger within himself, or says something like "Now I'm not going to hold back".

The series likes to retcon a lot. It will lead the viewer to believe 1 thing, then reveal a few episodes "HAHA! We tricked you with editing!". Really a very lame effect.

The main drama seems to revolve around "Dragon Magic", which I guess you could say is the equivalent of the tailed beasts from Naruto. i.e. Every major organisation has just 1, they're almost all anti-social, unique and have some ego issues. I didn't watch far enough to get all their backstory.

You have some villains turns good and some good turn villain. WHAT A TWIST!

If you like Bleach or Naruto you will love Fairytale. If you're looking for a new spin on the trope, don't bother. Honestly their powers are perfectly swappable with Naruto. You've got your ranged magic, hand to hand magic, defensive, offensive, illussionary/manipulative. You've got your shadow organisations made up of small teams of highly skilled users, you've got your ruling council of uber toughs who are really quite pathetic.

I wont go on..I think you get the point. That said, I may finish the series some day.