Old 10-12-2010, 12:33 AM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Post Samurai Gun

Ichimatsu is a waiter in a tavern who leads a double life. He is also a member of the Samurai Guns, a highly trained group of vigilantes sworn to destroy all that is evil. Only Ichimatsu is tired of all the killing and will only go on missions where he does not have to kill. Of course he ends up killing anyway, eventually running afoul of the Shogun Preservation Society.

There is a lot of action in this anime. There is also a lot of blood. There is a lot of profanity, at least in the English dub. There is less in the English subtitles which go along with the Japanese dub.

The plot develops quickly, including learning about Ichiatsuís past. However, it is an ordinary plot with overused themes. It is just good enough to make me want to stick with the series to see if it does get better. If you have any comments, please POST NO SPOILERS!
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I just finished disc 2, episodes 5-7. Not much happens here that did not happen in disc 1. The series is good enough for me to finish, but not worth spending too much time on. I will skip the Japanese dub with English subtitles, although there are some differences from the English dub. I hope something will happen over the second half of the series which will be of a bit more interest than what I have seen so far.
Old 14-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

So I am in a hurry to finish this one up. I am almost there and I already have the final disc.

But first, disc 3, episodes 8-10. Mostly, it is the same as discs 1 and 2. Only we do get a bit more into Ichimatsu's angst. Also, it seems that we are moving towards a showdown between Ichi and the man responsible for his misery.

Maybe I can finish this tomorrow. If not, then Thursday.
Old 17-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finished disc 4, which contains the last two episodes in the series, plus an additional episode that was made but never aired in Japan.

So what is my final review? First of all, the ending is not really an ending. They leave more unsettled than settled. I get the impression that they just ran out of ideas or lost interest in continuing the series, so they just stopped.

Still, if you like action without any kind of a storyline getting in the way, this anime is for you. The fight scenes are pretty good, although the rest of the animation is nothing special. There is a plot, just not much of a plot. This is not candy for the mind. Whatever storyline there is, and not much time is spend developing the storyline, is on the level of a twelve-year-old. But with the profanity in the English dub, and the level of gore and violence, I really do not recommend this series for twelve-year-olds. But if you are an adult with a 12-year-old mind, then you are probably in the target audience.

I rate Samurai Gun as average.