Old 11-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Wink E's Otherwise

I finished the fist disc, episodes 1-5 of Eís Otherwise. Thatís an odd name for a series.

Anyway, the plot goes like this. The world is now controlled by a small group of corporations, of which one is Ashuram. Ashuram has an army of psychics which is used to combat crime and urban guerillas. The latest member of the team is Kai, who goes to work for Ashuram in gratitude for their care of his ill sister, Hikaru. But all is not easy for Kai. His ideals do not fit in, and he is bullied by the senior psychic of the team, Shen-Lon. During a mission, Kai gets separated from his team and meets Yuuki and Asuka, who show Kai another way of looking at the world. Kai does not seem to realize yet how much he has been mislead.

There is a bit more going on, but this storyline is really intricate. Kaiís idealism is being challenged by a dark reality.

The animation for the first three episodes is kind of shoddy. Although the series is from 2004-2005, it looks like it was made half-heartedly in the 1980ís. But the quality of the artwork suddenly improves in episodes 4-5.

I watched each episode twice -- once in English, and once in Japanese with the subtitles. The subtitles actually give a bit more detail than the English dub. I will probably just watch the Japanese dub with subtitles from now on.

More later as I continue the series.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 12:54 AM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finished disc 2, episodes 6-10. Most of what happens here is that Kai has a series of adventures with his new friends Yuuki and Asuka. Some of this is borderline filler, although it does help to establish relationships between the characters. But much does not have anything to do with the plot development, and it is too early in the series for a filler episode. However, there are things that are happening all around Kai of which Kai, Yuuki and Asuka are not aware, but which will obviously effect their lives. And there is something dirty going on at Ashuram as things turn against Shin-Lon.

No details are given here and no spoilers. (So none of you post any spoilers.) I will continue the series.

By the way, I am only watching the Japanese dubs with sub-titles now. The English translation, as stated before, is lacking.
Old 18-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I have now completed disc 3, episodes 11-14, and it seems that things will really get moving now -- finally. The story has been developing and moving forward -- slowly. Very slowly. Very, very, very slowly. There seems to be an awful lot of filler. But by the end of episode 14, Yuuki and Shin-Lon get some surprises, and we do get a cliffhanger.

All the pieces are now in place. But they have been in place since the end of episode 10, if not earlier.

But I am now committed to finishing this series. So onto disc 4. More later.
Old 23-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I have completed disc 4, episodes 15-19.

Kai is making new enemies. It seems he can't walk down the street without being attacked and beaten up by some enemy, old or new. But most of the disc is taken up with a plot between the corporate rivals of Ashuram and the church involving the use of child psychics. There is a weird moment when Shin-lu attacks Kai while singing of her love for him. I didn't know that psychics can provide their won orchestral accompaniment. Is there no limit to their power? No wonder people fear them.

Anyway, the story is progressing somewhere. It is still an interesting story, but there are times it tests oneís patience. But I will reserve my final judgment until after I complete the last two discs.
Old 25-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #5   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Disc 5 is done and I have watched episodes 20-24. By this time there are about a half dozen storylines going on, and they are all starting to come together. Still, this is not a very deep anime. But it does look like I may be rewarded for my patience. I will let you know for sure after I finish the disc 6, the final one.

Meanwhile, Kai may be realizing his true strength. He actually gets to beat up a fellow psychic for a change. But there are some hints that things may get worse for our hero. But anymore would be telling too much.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #6   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

It took me a while to get around to the final disc and last four episodes of Eís Otherwise. I had no electricity for two days. Power returned for the weekend, but I did not get a chance to watch the disc until Sunday evening. Thatís when I discovered that the disc Netflix sent me was cracked and unplayable.

But I was sent a replacement disc and have now finished the series. What surprises me is that after a break of six days, I forgot a lot of the details from the previous episodes. What does that tell you about the series?

Anyway, in the final four chapters, Kaiís powers increase to the point that he can take on all enemies. He returns to Ashuram to save his sister and in the process learns the whole terrible truth.

Overall, it is a pretty good action series. There are a lot of subplots to keep you tuned in as well. However, the ending was weak. They try to keep you hanging, but I think you can guess what happened. Although they could tell you more of what happens to the supporting characters after the dust settles. But the ending to the main storyline of Kai is one we have seen countless times before. It is really a letdown that the series ends on a clichť. Still I will recommend it as everything up to the ending is entertaining. But I still rate it as average.