Old 21-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Thumbs up Soul Eater

Soul Eater deals with the students of the Death Weapon Meister Academy. Under the direction of Death himself, the student Weapon Meisters and their living Weapons fight demons known as Kishins. Formerly human, Kishins now roam the world committing evil, violent deeds. Once a Weapon devours 99 evil souls plus one witch soul, he/she becomes a Black Scythe - the most powerful weapon of all.

The main characters are Maka and her weapon Soul, who turns into a scythe which Maka wealds with great skill. Maka and Soul are loyal and dedicated to each other. Then there is Black Star and his shapely companion Tsubaki who can transform into a ďDark Arm.Ē Lastly we have Death the Kid, Deathís own son, whoís partners Liz and Patty transform into pistols.

So far this sounds like a fairly dark drama, right? Wrong. Maka and Soul comically bicker, although they are obviously quite close. Black Star is obsessed with himself. Death the Kid suffers from a sever excessive compulsive disorder. Even Death himself is a bit of a clown. This is mostly comedy, although episode 7 is short on laughs and ends on a cliffhanger in which it appears one of our heroes may die. It is similar to Chrono Crusade, which I never finished but may take a second look at.

The DVD is in four parts, with two discs per part. I watched disc 1, which is the first seven episodes. I watched in English and in Japanese with subtitles. The two versions tell basically the same story, but there are some differences. Some of the Japanese w/ subtitles makes a little more sense.

Soul Eater is not what I expected. I thought I would get a series which is much darker. But given episode 7, I will watch the next six episodes on disc 2 before deciding to continue the series.

If anyone has comments, please NO SPOILERS!

Last edited by MeMyself; 10-08-2011 at 11:07 PM.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finished disc 2 of Part 1, episodes 8-13. Since this is a long series, I decided to only watch the English dub, although I know I may be missing some nuances.

Anyway, starting with episode 7 the series starts getting darker, although there is a pretty funny episode where Black Star and Death the Kid go looking for the legendary sword Excalibur only to find. . . . Well, you have to watch it to find out.

By the end of disc 2, we are introduced to the villain of the series - a witch named Medusa. As close as the danger is, Maka and her friends are totally unaware of the threat. Plus consequences from a wound Soul suffers threaten his and Makaís lives, even after it is healed.

The story is getting interesting. I think I will stick with the series for now.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I have been having trouble getting disc 1 of part 2 from Netflex. Fortunately, the entire series can also be steamed, so I watched the next 7 episodes on-line.

Things temporarily go back to comedy. Thereís a funny episode where everyone must take the big school exam. Maka studies hard. Soul and Black Star try to cheat. Death the Kid canít get past writing his name because he canít make it neat enough. Patty turns her test into a giraffe.

But things get pretty serious again when series villianess Medusa sets her evil plans in motion. Meanwhile Maka must make a decision which would bring her victory, but the price could be her mind and soul. Things are heating up, and they are not looking so good for our heroes.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:48 AM   #4   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Dattebayo once did a humerous sub of this anime. I don't know what the real anime is like but the parody subtitles were hilarious. You may still be able to find it out there somewhere. I think they called it "Naruto Soulpudden" (to catch out all the unattentive pirates)
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #5   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finished the second disc of part 2, the next six chapters. Medusa puts her plan into full motion. Both victory and defeat will have its price. One thing I can tell you is that some things will change from this point on.

The storyline becomes more dramatic at this point, though there is still some humor. It did keep my interest, but now by being over-whelming. The series is turning into a somewhat entertaining show. At least it is worth finishing. I am half way through.
Old 18-07-2011, 12:10 AM   #6   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I am now through Part 3, Disc 1, which contains the next seven chapters. It seems that the best has just started. There are some episodes here that are totally dark.

Maka, Soul and the others get some new friends and new enemies. Death the Kid discovers that his father may have a secret about his past. Chrono, the son of Medusa, is befriended by Maka, but can he avoid betraying his new friends? Who knew Medusa has a sister who is even more dangerous?

The humor is still there, but it is giving way to the darker aspects of the storyline. Oh, we do get the third appearance of Excalibur, but those are just filler episodes and a running gag.
Old 22-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #7   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I've watched the next 6 chapters on disc 2 of part 3. Two more discs to go!

Maka, Soul and the others are proving themselves in battle, but they are still being outflanked by the enemy. This means failure. There is plenty of self-doubt and depression to go around right now, and the series is using this as an opportunity to really get inside the heads of the characters. Plus, Kid has reasons not to trust his father Death.

So suddenly, the series has gone from somewhat entertaining to really interesting.

I'm gone for a week, so it will be a while before I get to watch the rest of the series.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #8   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Iím in the home stretch of the series, finishing disc 1 of part 4. The battle lines are drawn on several fronts as Maya and Kid both begin to question what they are fighting for, who is right and what are Deathís motives.

These episodes also have some of the best animation of the series, especially in the detail and care taken in the backdrops. It is all sort of subtle. You donít consciously notice it at first, but the quality is there. I havenít spoken at all on the quality of the animation yet. Overall, the action scenes are some of the best I have seen in a series. Usually in a series, shortcuts are taken to save time and money. No shortcuts seem to have been taken here.

I have one more disc to go, then I will give my final review.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #9   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I have finished the series. In the final six episodes, the various battles draw to a close, but success only leads to the final big battle where Death himself gets involved -- and it does not look like everyone will survive!

So my final evaluation:

The animation is pretty good. Several of the episodes use background art which is some of the best I have seen in an anime series, but other episodes it is just average. But the action sequences are exceptional.

What really makes this series work is the touch of darkness mixed with comedy. I like dark anime, and while there are funny moments, there are also moments of self-doubt, breakdowns, betrayals, and some basic episodes of depression. It actually starts as a total comedy and slowly gets darker -- and more interesting. By the end of the series, it is all drama.

I will recommend Soul Eater.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #10   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

For those in the US starting this coming weekend, Cartoon Network's Adult Swim will begin airing Soul Eater. Check your listings. For those in the Eastern Time Zone, it will be on at 1 am Sunday morning.