Old 25-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Smile Big Windup

Hereís an anime for the whole family. Big Windup is a sports related anime centering around Mihashi.

Mihashi was the pitcher for his junior high baseball team. The problem was that his team always lost and Mihashi got the blame. This does a number on Mihashiís self-confidence.

When he becomes a freshman in high school, Mihashi changes schools. He runs into Momoe, the female coach of the schoolís baseball team. (Interestingly enough, Momoe has oversized breasts, but they havenít figured into the story. Like I said, this is more of a family anime.) Momoe ropes Mihashi into joining the team, made up entirely of freshmen. Both she and the teams catcher, Abe, see talent in Mihashi. All that needs to be done now is to build up his confidence.

Mihashiís wimp act does wear thin after a while, but the rest of the series is good enough to make up for that. It seems that the seriesí writers do know the game - for the most part. I like the way they bring us into the heads of the players, both on Mihashiís team and the opponents. It shows what a hard game to play baseball really is.

I do have a few problems with the way a few things are presented.

I donít like the idea of 14-year-olds throwing curve balls, fork balls or other such pitches. I never watch little league since I cringe at the sight of 10-12 year olds throwing these pitches. Some say kids should only throw fastballs until the age of 14, others 16-18. Too play it safe, I would only allow fastballs until age 16.

In one game, Mihashiís team gets the leadoff man on in the first inning. Momoe uses two bunts moving the runner to third. That only gives here one chance to get the run home, as opposed to two chances to get the run home from second. But her strategy did not work anyway.

Some of the players talk about waiting for their pitch. This was Ted Williamsí mantra. He may have been the (self-proclaimed) best hitter of all time, but he was one of the worst managers in baseball history. Waiting for your pitch may help you win in high school, where you have little scouting and pitchers with little control. But it is no way to learn to hit. Even on the major league level, most every player has holes in his swing. You can get a lot of strike 3 calls waiting for your pitch. Personally, I never got to see my pitch. Iím sill waiting!

Lastly, in one episode while giving the ball and strike count, they gave the strikes before the balls. But I blame the translators. They fixed it in the next episode.

Comcast Xfinity was broadcasting this series, but they skipped episode 19 and stopped at episode 20. I found 19 on YouTube, and will get the final disc from Netflix to finish the series. I will give my final analysis after that.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

UPDATE! Big Windup is back on Xfinity On-Demand. But they skipped episodes 21-22 and are picking up with episode 23. What's their problem?

At least I can get the last disc from Netflix.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

It took a while to get the last disc from Netflix, but between watching the playoffs I have finished the series. It has a good ending, although I won't tell you who wins. The only problem is that it is the same old whimpy Mihashi at the end. There is apparently a second season which may not be on DVD. I hope it isn't more of the same and that Mihashi at least grows a bit as a person. As much as I liked the series, it has to change somewhat.

I said this was a family series. There is almost some cussing in the final episodes. But at least in the English dub they cut right before the four-letter word is muttered. There is also a bit of female skin in the last episode, in case you think that is a problem for kids. It's nothing sexual so really no big deal. By my standards its OK for kids, certainly for your pre-teen.

Final analysis: Recommended.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #4   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
Sounds good but i usually fall asleep during this tye of show

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote