Old 30-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Arrow Gunslinger Girl 2: Il Teatrino

I just finished disc 1 of Gunslinger Girl 2: Il Teatrino. I actually watched the ending on Xfinity On-Demand some time back, but I felt I needed to watch the entire series to make a fair assessment. I finally got around to that. I watched the first three episodes in English and in Japanese with subtitles. There seemed to be no difference, so the next four episodes I watched only in English.

I enjoyed the original Gunslinger Girl series. Well, maybe enjoy is not the right word. The series was dark and depressing, but it was also powerful. I never read the manga, but from what I hear the series differed, especially at the end. In the anime, we see the girls happy and enjoying each others’ company, unaware that Angelica is dead. Henrietta’s prediction that Angelica’s fate is the fate they all will share is still in our minds. These girls have no future. They are doomed. I’ve been told this is a more powerful ending than what happens in the manga.

Unfortunately, GG2 seems to follow the original manga storyline. First off, they revive Angelica. Right there the powerful impact of series 1 is discarded. There is no hint of the girls’ days being numbered and just how fragile their hold on life is. There is a continuous storyline, which the original did not have, that is interesting and has some very good moments. But GG2 is just not as dark and depressing as the first series. In series 1, you know the girls have no future. You can’t tell that in series 2. In series 1, the line between the good guys and the villains is very thin. It gets broader in series 2. Series 2 is weaker.

The animation style is also different from series 1. It is very basic and seems to have been done on the cheap. There seems to be less of an effort in the artwork as well.

On the plus side, we do get the back stories of the enemies. That held my interest. Triela and Angelica both have their mental moments, but it just seems so forced and obvious that I had a hard time accepting those little plot points.

It is not that I don’t like GG2. It is just that it is so much less than GG1. Still I will get disc 2 and re-watch the ending before giving my final assessment.

Last edited by MeMyself; 01-11-2011 at 09:57 PM.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:55 PM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I just finished GG2. Overall, it is a fairly good series, though not a great one. It does fall well short of the first series. As I said, I already saw the ending. But the anime is so formulaic that had I not seen it I would still know how it end before I even get to the halfway point.

Again, the dark feeling of doom is absent from the second season. Even when the girls are injured, you know they will heal and be the same as before. In series 1, treatment for the injuries would shorten their life spans. If they are as good as before, it comes at a price. No price to be paid in GG2. No these girls will go on forever.

Again, the ending was so predictable it was disappointing. Something more tragic, along what we were lead to believe in series 1, would have been better -- maybe Triela and Pinocchio both biting the dust together?

Still it did have its moments. You did get into Pinocchio’s mind, although nothing really got resolved. There is a lot of action, though not done as well as series 1. Too much of the series is a retread of series 1, though without the emotion.

In all, Gunslinger Girl 2: Il Teatrino is an average anime. But by being average, it is a bit disappointing.

There is a three-part Gunslinger Girl OVA which picks up where this series leaves off. Has anyone seen it? Is it worth seeing?
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote