Old 18-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Thumbs up Shigurui

Shigurui starts with a duel between two samurai, the one-armed Fujiki and the blind Irako. The rest of the series is a flashback leading up to that duel to the death.

Shigurui is a 12 episode series on two discs. I just finished disc 1. It certainly does not look like any other anime I have seen. In fact, the artwork is not in any anime style I have watched. In addition, most of the time the colors are muted, often coming close to black and white. The blood, however, is always a bright red. I watched the first two episodes in English and in Japanese with subtitles, only to go to watching only the English dub. Language in this anime does not seem important. Mostly it relies on the visuals.

Pretty much the story relies on corruption and degenerate behavior. There is blood, dismemberment, nudity and sexual situations, so keep this away from children.

I will give my final review when I finish the series. If you care to comment, please no spoilers!
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I've completed the series Shigurui. Despite all the fighting, blood and gore, the episodes move along slowly. But this only helps to draw the viewer in. Again, the entire style is unlike anything I have seen before in anime.

On the downside, this series has the most abrupt ending I have ever seen. I actually had to double check to be sure there was not a third disc. But we know what is to come eventually. We saw it in episode 1. Other than that, use your imagination.

Overall, it is an interesting series. I recommend you give it a look. I would like to hear what others think of it.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote