Old 14-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Smile Kaze no Stigma

I think Kaze no Stigma means Stigma of the Wind.

Anyway, the premise involves the Kannagi family, masters of Fire Magic used to vanquish demons. Teen schoolgirl Ayano is the heir to the position of family head. She won this honor years ago by defeating her older cousin Kazuma in battle. Shaming the family by losing to a girl, Kazuma is banished. But now he is back as a user of Wind Magic, which dishonors the family even more. Never mind that Kazuma is probably more powerful now than the entire Kannagi family combined. Well, members of the extended family are being killed. Kazuma is suspected of seeking revenge. That brings us though half of episode 2.

Actually, I have made it through the first four episodes. They are currently available for free viewing in for all you US readers. The series is on Comcastís Xfinity On-Demand.

It is interesting to note the differences between Kazuma and Ayano. Kazuma, at least at the beginning, is sort of dark and serious. Ayano provides the comic relief. She is a live wire, over confident, high strung, undisciplined, and emotional. Without her father to hold her back or Kazuma to save her, you figure she is likely to get herself killed one day.

Iíll give a full review once I finish the series. If anyone else starts to watch it, please comment. If you have seen it before, NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I'm not sure if I just finished season 1. I have to tell you the series does fall short of its promise.

Not that Kaze no Stigma is not a bad series. It actually has some pretty entertaining moments. It's just that the opening seems a bit on the dark side. Kazuma is the outsider denied recognition from a family which at first seems to rather have him dead then hanging around. A potentially deadly rivalry with Ayano is about to be awaken.

But the series suddenly turns all cutesie. Kazuma and Ayano form a partnership with some repressed sexual undertones. Even Ayano's father would like to see them get together.

But all is not light and laughter. During the last third of the series, Kazuma's past catches up to him. An old enemy surfaces and Kazuma becomes blinded by revenge. Will his vengeance destroy him and those around him?

There is some bloody violence, but not much. There is semi-nonsexual nudity. So this is not an anime for kids.

In all, I rate it about average. The dark segments work real well, but there are times the series just gets too cute.

Last edited by MeMyself; 17-07-2012 at 11:39 PM.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote