Old 28-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Talking The Ai Enma Interview

WARNING! The following interview may contain minor spoilers to Hell Girl, Hell Girl: Two Mirrors, and Hell Girl: Three Vessels.

Ai Enma gained fame as Hell Girl, the quiet young lass who meted out revenge for anyone pulling the red thread. In real life, she is outgoing, cheerful and enthusiastic -- quite different than her character. We caught up with her, in Washington DC of all places, and she graciously agreed to this interview.

Question: First question. What are you doing in Washington?

Ai: Oh, I could make a good Hell Girl joke here. But I won’t. I’m here filming for a TV series I’m doing now. I’m the host of Ghosts, Ghouls and Demons. It’s on the Japanese History Channel. We look at the history behind legends dealing with the supernatural and paranormal. The second season just started airing in Japan. We’re here doing what will be the season’s closing episode – The Ghosts of Washington. We’ve already done Moscow, London and of course Tokyo.

Q: One would think you’re here to meet Hell Girl fans.

A: (Laughs) Yeah, that too. I get calls from the studio asking me to make an appearance. They are trying to get interest up for the series in advance of season 2’s American DVD debut.

Q: Let’s come back to that later. What I would like to start with is how you became Hell Girl. I assume you began acting in school.

A: Well, sort of. I was in the all the elementary school class plays. It was fun, but I was not all that into it. I generally played a member of the chorus, or just stood off to the side. I remember having only one speaking line. I played a tree, and my line was something like, “The wind is blowing my leaves.”

Q: So what made you want to become a professional actress?

A: It was through my Mom. She belonged to an amateur stage group that would do about two shows a year. It was a hobby. One year they needed a kid, and Mom asked me to do it. I thought it would be a fun mother/daughter project. I didn’t realize how much work and sweat was behind it. But everyone seemed to enjoy it. I figured it would be something I would like to do.

Q: And how old were you at that time?

A: About 10.

Q: So then you got an agent.

A: Right. And I got bit parts in shows, including some animes. I got casted in commercials.

Q: Any commercials stand out in your memory?

A: Oh yes. There was one for an amusement park. This boy and I played brother and sister. We sat in the back of the car saying, “Are we there yet? Are we there yet?” Then they filmed us having fun at the park.

Q: You must have enjoyed that job.

A: The truth? They wanted to film us riding the roller coaster. I was afraid of roller coasters. The whole time I was praying I would get off alive, or at least not pee my pants. In the commercial though, I look happy. Not that’s real acting!

Q: How did you get the role of Hell Girl, and how old were you at the time?

A: I was actually 15 when I got the role. My agent called and said I had an audition for the lead in a new anime series if I wanted it. He sent the script over the night before.

Q: That’s not too much time to prepare.

A: It’s pretty normal. Anyway, I didn’t look at the lines. I spent the whole night studying the character. I tried to imagine what a totally emotionless character would look like. I developed this stare and spoke in a quiet voice. I figured she would have an ordinary appearance, so I decided to wear my school uniform to the audition. When I got there, there were about 50 girls waiting. Most were dressed as goth. A few looked like rejects from a Harry Potter movie, or the kid sister of the Wizard of Oz witch. They saw me and made fun of my appearance, saying that this was not a role for a little schoolgirl. But when I was called into the audition room, I immediately went into character. Everyone there, the writers, director, production committee gasped. I heard someone say, “That’s her.” Luckily they never got around to ask me to read since I never got around to studying the lines.

Q: It sounds like you created the Hell Girl character yourself.

A: Not totally. The red eyes came late. We shot the pilot, which was re-edited into the premier episode. For the pilot, I didn’t have red eyes. They added that digitally just before the show premiered. My hair was already long, but they wanted it longer. So I had a wig. Two wigs actually –very long and extremely long. I actually had to cut my hair to wear the wigs. I didn’t mind that. I thought I looked better with shorter hair. I wear it short today.

Next: Season One!

Last edited by MeMyself; 29-05-2012 at 06:19 PM.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Today we continue talking with Ai Enma. She remembers season 1 of Hell Girl.

Question: OK. You have the lead in the series. But you are the new kid on the block. Your co-stars are experienced veterans. How did that work out between everyone?

Ai: Very well. As you said, they were veterans, but they are also professionals. They wanted the show to succeed. I was pretty green, but they all worked with me. Hone Onna was a cross between a mother figure and big sister for me. Ren Ichimoka was like a big brother looking out for me when the cameras were not running. Wanyuudou like to play the wise old man, since he was the senior member of the cast, but he was also a jokester. But it was Wanyuudou who gave me the best advice of all. He said, ďEnjoy yourself, kid. Or get off the set!Ē

Q: What sort of preparation did you have?

A: Well. . . . Meetings. Lots of meetings. That is the Japanese way. And after the meetings, the four of us and the guest actors would often go out for a late lunch together and discuss the episode further. By the time we were filming, we pretty well knew where each person was coming from with their characters. We had everything in sync.

Q: You were the main series character, but sometimes you made only brief appearances. Many of the episodes centered around characters appearing only in that episode. How did that effect your performance?

A: Oh wow! Great question. It made it harder for sure. Hell Girl had to dominate every episode, even if I did not appear until the end or made brief appearances here and there. So my characterization had to be stronger than it would be otherwise. Considering the understated approach I took, it was a challenge.

Q: What thoughts did you have in your mind to make your character more effective?

A: Hmmm. Well, obviously Hell Girl is a conflicted character with a lot of issues and conflicting emotions inside of her. She keeps these buried and suppressed for most of the first season. We only find out about these issues in the last two or three episodes, which were my favorites of the entire series. Now for the entire first season, knowing how the series would end, I developed those emotional conflicts in my own head and suppressed them. I wanted to get as close to my character as I could. Just as my character consciously suppressed her emotions, so did I.

Q: Until the final episodes. Is that why they are your favorites?

A: Yes. I finally got to release all my frustrations, anger, angst. It was quite a relief.

Q: It must have been exhausting as well.

A: Yes. I was wound pretty tight at the end of each shooting day.

Q: So how did you unwind?

A: Oh boy. I shouldnít say this. I would go back to my dressing room and smoke a joint. (Laughs) Youíve heard how drugs are available on practically every set. Iíd buy a joint cheap off one of the stage hands, go to my dressing room, lock the door and smoke it.

Q: Do you still smoke?

A: Oh no. I really didnít like it. It did relax me, but it also left me with the feeling I was not in control. That I didnít like. After the second season, I stopped.

Q: What about the first season did you not like?

A: (Laughs) You know all those scenes where I was bathing in that pond wearing nothing but my nagajuban? I hated doing those scenes because the water was so cold. They couldnít warm it up because the steam would fog the camera lens. Iíd get out of there and had to fight the shivers. When I finally get that wet thing off me and a dry towel around me, an assistant would give me hot tea to drink. That did no good. I still caught colds.

Q: How did you handle sudden fame? Were you prepared?

A: Prepared? Yes and no. My parents talked to me about it. So did my agent, my producer, my co-stars. But I really did not know what to expect. Sometimes it was kind of fun to be recognized in public and to talk to fans about the series. But sometimes it got to be a bit too much. I remember after we finished shooting the first season, about the time the fourteenth episode had aired, I had gone out with some girls from my old school. We were taking my best friend out to dinner and a movie for her birthday. At the restaurant, people kept coming up to our table asking for my autograph. Everyone thought it was funny at first, but eventually I could see they were getting annoyed. I was annoyed. I just wanted some time with my friends. At the movie theater, someone yelled out, ďHey! Itís Hell Girl!Ē It was so embarrassing. I felt bad that my best friendís birthday celebration was ruined.

Next: Season 2
Old 30-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Today we discuss Hell Girl: Two Mirrors, the seriesí second season.

Question: When was it decided to make a second season of Hell Girl?

Ai: We werenít sure at the beginning if there was going to be a second season. We werenít sure how it would play in Japan. We all had one year contracts with an option year, meaning we would work at the same pay for a second season regardless of how popular the series was. But the studio and network did a good job at promotion, and we quickly gained a following. We were just about to begin filming the last three episodes of the first season, with the first seven or eight already aired and getting good ratings, when the decision was made.

Q: Were there any special concerns about the second season? I mean, worries that you would fall into a rut and just repeat season one?

A: There was always that threat. But we had good writers. The decision was made to make the second season even darker. We dealt with some rather disturbed characters, played by some great actors. Both victims and victimizers were a bit off hinged. But then there were also some concerns about me.

Q: About you?

A: (Laughs) I had grown a bit over the summer. Not much, but enough. I also added about a half inch to my bust size. I was a growing girl, and that was a problem. My character had lived 400 years without aging. We were afraid someone would notice and go, ďHey, Hell Girl is growing up!Ē

Q: So how was that handled?

A: They tried to hide my getting taller with a few camera and other tricks. At one point I walked in a ditch. They didnít always work. Sometimes you could tell I was a bit taller than before. For my chest, they binded my breasts under my costume. It was uncomfortable, but it looked natural. For my nude scenes, I had to be shot from the back only, or have my hair cover my boobs.

Q: For the second season, your co-stars had more screen time and figured more into the plot. You got to see their charactersí back-stories.

A: Yes. Of course we had to do that. Hone, Ren and Wanyuudo had their own fan followings. Fan boys loved Hone. Ren got a lot of fan mail from female fans. It was that hair over the eye look that got them. Wanyuudo had a lot of female fans as well. He got letters from teens saying that he was cute for an older man.

Q: Where did you find Kikuri?

A: She was just one of dozens of little girls who auditioned. I was involved with that. The head writer, director and two members of the production committee were involved in the search. So was I since they wanted my input on who I felt I could work better with. I would do a scene with each of the girls. That was more tiring than filming the series itself. Anyway, each girl that came in was like a little doll. They looked perfect and behaved perfectly. Then came Kikuri who began acting up the minute she entered the room. There was something about her misbehavior. I looked at the others. They looked at me and each other. It was clear we were all thinking the same thing. This girl was it.

Q: During the second season, were there any plans for a third?

A: No. From the beginning, Hell Girl was looked on as a two season series at the most. The ending of the second season was supposed to complete the story.

Q: Most in the US have not yet seen Two Mirrors, so letís not go into detail. But how did the ending go over in Japan?

A: Not too well. People really loved my character and hated to see her end the way she did. One fan told me they had hoped for a more dignified ending. Audience displeasure was made quite clear, and may have played a part in the decision to have a third season.

Q: But you werenít under contract for a third season.

A: No I wasnít. Nobody was. It was a last minute decision, so they had to rush to sign everyone and hope that they were all available. They just offered to double everyoneís salary, which no one objected to, and so we went into production.

Q: In a rush?

A: Right. And it showed. The scripts for the first half were pretty well below standard. Some were just plain silly. In one I had to dress up like a bee. I felt like a complete idiot, but the writer had me in a bee costume, and the director thought it was a good idea. We brought in a special team to write those episodes, and it shows. Our regular writers worked only on the last 13 episodes, which were much better.

Next: Ai makes a movie.
Old 31-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Today we learn what Ai was up to between seasons 2 and 3.

Question: Iíll ask more about season 3 in a bit. But first, something your American fans and other fans outside Japan may not know Ė prior to season 3, you did a movie.

Ai: Yes, a TV movie. It was called Lost Love.

Q: And your co-star was a young man who would soon become part of the Hell Girl family.

A: Right. Yamawaro. Of course I had no idea he would become part of the Hell Girl family then. At the time I didnít even know there was to be a third series.

Q: So what was the movie about?

A: We played a pair of teenagers, both dying of cancer, who meet and fall in love. It was a very personal project for me. I lost my older brother to cancer. I was six at the time. He was 12. Itís not something you really ever get over, and I know it was worse for my parents.

Q: Youíve been active in cancer charities, I understand?

A: A bit. Thereís this show that airs every year in Japan. Itís to raise money for cancer research. Anime stars appear to pitch or to perform. Usually they do spoofs of their series. I was on three times, before my current job took me out of the country. I would like to do it again when I go back. The first time I was on, I spoke about my brother Ė and broke down crying. The next two times I did Hell Girl spoofs. The last one was Hell Girl Scouts. It may have been too funny. I literally fell down laughing twice.

Q: Getting back to Lost Love, how did that come about?

A: Well, I thought I was finished with Hell Girl. The last dozen episodes of the second season had yet to air. I did have a contractual obligation to make personal appearances after the season ended. But my agent told me I need to put that spare time to use. I had to get people to think of me as something other than Hell Girl to avoid type casting. I made sure the studio would give me time before I started making appearances at fan conventions and such. I looked at several scripts, and as I said this one had special meaning for me.

Q: And how did it work out?

A: It was kind of tough. It was a personal project for me Ė because of my brother. And it was pretty depressing. The final scene was were decided to die together so we could go into the next world together. It was my first bedroom scene. We undressed, got into bed, kissed, then took poison that would put us to sleep before killing us. The final shot was the two of use lying naked with our bodies wrapped around each other. Weíre either dead or sleeping and about to be dead. I thought we were dead.

Q: That must have been quite an experience for your first bedroom scene.

A: You know, I usually like doing nude scenes. Theyíre a lot of fun. You get to check out whomever, or everyone checks out you. You get kind of silly between takes. I like to flirt a bit with some of the male crew members. Itís not so different than flirting with guys at the beach or swimming pool. I mean my bikinis generally donít cover much more. (Laughs.)

Q: But this scene was not fun?

A: Yeah. It was pretty hard. I kept wondering if my brother ever felt like ending it all. But I did get a good look at Yamawaro. God, he has such a cute body. His chest was so smooth and warm, and his butt is. . . . (Laughs) Well, you can see that in one of the season 3 episodes. He got a good look at me as well. But damned if I didnít have a crush on him.

Q: Did he know you had a crush on him?

A: Yeah. I did tell him. But I really came on strong. Understand that although we were 17 at this time, I really did not have a lot of experience with boys. First, boys my own age were too immature, and mature guys were older than I felt comfortable being with. Then there was my work schedule. My dates were limited to filling in on a double date. A friendís cousin would be in town, she and her boyfriend were going to take him around, and they needed another girl to even things out. Things like that.

Q: How was Yamawaro different?

A: Outside of having the same interests and goals in life, he was incredibly mature. Almost like an adult. That attracted me as well. But I didnít know how to let him know I was interested. I wonít go into details, but I did embarrass myself. Besides, he had a girlfriend he was committed to already.

Q: Did that affect your relationship?

A: Professionally no. Other than that there was really no relationship. I do respect the fact he let me down easy. He told me he thought I was a good person, despite my throwing myself at him, and I had a cute body. He kissed me on the head and ensured me I would find someone someday. I did get over it pretty fast though. It was only a crush. I realized that later.

Q: How did that affect his joining Hell Girl?

A: I donít know how to answer that. All I know is he talked to the producers and turned the job down. I donít know if he was uncomfortable working with me after my embarrassing flirtation. But we were being rushed into production. Previously I had the time to get to know my co-workers and their approach to their roles. It made everything a lot easier. Yuzuki Mikage was already casted. Although I liked her, I didnít know her enough to be totally comfortable performing with her. I didnít want two actors like that to get used to. So I asked the producers not to make a decision on the final cast until I talked with Yamawaro. I told him what I told you. He agreed to take the role.

Next: Ai remembers season 3 Ė and The Kiss!
Old 01-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #5   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Today, we talk about the third and final season of Hell Girl.

Question: Another new member of the cast for the third season was Yuzuki Mikage. How was she signed?

Ai: She actually was in an episode from an earlier season playing a different character. It was a small part. I didnít have any screen time with her. But our director liked her and saw some other things she did; that is, after that first Hell Girl appearance. He wanted her.

Q: But you had problems in that you never worked with her before?

A: I wouldnít use the word ďproblems.Ē I just didnít have enough time before we started shooting to get to know her as a performer. As a person, Yuzuki is great. I enjoyed talking with her. We occasionally took lunch breaks together or got together after work. She wasnít used to me as an actor either, but she was able to use that to get her character to establish the uneasy relationship with mine.

Q: Now I have to ask you about the kiss.

A: (Laughs) I was waiting for that.

Q: Were either of you uncomfortable with that scene?

A: Ah, it did make us both a little nervous. Neither of us ever kissed a girl like that before, but it was key to the seasonís first episode. So we decided to grin and bear it Ė quite literally.

Q: I have to wonder if there was a homoerotic intent for that scene.

A: According to the script, no. But with the male writers, I kind of think it was in the back of their minds.

Q: You said nude scenes were fun to do.

A: The two of us in that bathtub together? Oh, yeah. Between takes we flirted with the guys in the crew. Joked around. Fortunately we could turn it off when it came time to shoot. Except for the time we almost drowned.

Q: In that water?

A: We were floating naked in a vat of water. I was supposed to swim to her, as she remained still, then kiss. They were going to use stunt doubles, but the director wanted our faces to be seen the whole time, and Yuzuki and I are both great swimmers.

Q: So what happened?

A: First, my wig came off. They had to glue it on. It took an hour for me to wash that gunk out of my hair once we were done. Then moving together was a bit hard. We finally got into position during one take, and when I went to kiss Yuzuki, we both started giggling Ė under water. We both took in a lung full of water.

Q: That must have been frightening.

A: To put it mildly. The stunt doubles dove in and pulled us out. The medical team helped us clear our lungs and gave us oxygen. All the time the two of us were naked on the floor gasping for air thinking we were already dead. That killed that dayís shooting. We tried it again the next day, and it all went well. Yuzuki and I made sure of that. But what really ticked me off is when I watched the premier episode, the scene was cut. After all that happened to us, I was sort of peeved. But the following week for the second episode, the cut footage was shown on the opening credits. I thought, ďAre they going to show this every week? Every week for 25 weeks all of Japan can watch us naked and kissing in the water?Ē (Laughs) Yuzuki said we were going to have the most famous butts in all Japan.

Q: It seems you have a lot of stories centering on nudity.

A: (Laughs) It was those scenes which gave us the best behind-the-scenes anecdotes. Remember in the second season we had an episode that took place at a hot springs spa? So we were filming on Wanyuudoís birthday. Thereís this scene where he is in the water and three schoolgirls come in wearing nothing but towels, and they flirt with him a little. Well, the first take went differently than what was in the script. The three girls all dropped their towels and began singing Happy Birthday Ė in their own birthday suits. They then jumped into the water, made their way to Wanyuudo and kissed him on top of his head. Wanyuudo took it all in stride. He said, ďHow did you know thatís just what I wanted?Ē

Q: At what point did you know Three Vessels would be the last season?

A: Immediately for me. I signed only a one season contract. I made it clear I did not want a fourth season. I thought it was time to move on. Honestly, except for personal appearances, I was ready to chuck Hell Girl. I wanted out before we got stuck in a rut. I think thatís the problem with long running animes. They just go on and on, and get repetitive. There was talk of the series continuing without me.

Q: With Yuzuki or someone else?

A: There were rumors. Yuzuki was signed before I was. She was to be my reincarnation, a rival Hell Girl, my replacement. I was going to come back as my reincarnation with no memory of being Hell Girl. Then I was coming in as a completely different character. My favorite rumor? I was going to be a vampire! (Laughs) There were so many stories and theories being passed around fan sites, blogs, you name it. Some had a bit of truth. Some were total bulls---. But the real truth is the source of these rumors was the studio itself. They were trying to grow interest in the third season.

Q: Three Vessels has not been seen by most of your American fans, and by few others outside Japan, so letís not give anything away. But would you say the third season settles your characters fate once and for all?

A: Yes. Certainly. I actually think itís a sad ending. Most fans seem to disagree. They think the ending for Two Mirrors was sad, but actually Hell Girl finds peace. In Three Vessels, she learns that no amount of empathy she feels for others, no acts of sacrifice on behalf of others, no contrition, and no suffering can atone for her past sins. For her, there really is no ending. Now thatís sad.

Next: The Wrap Up! Aiís Post Hell Girl Life!
Old 02-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #6   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

In the final segment of our interview, we discuss Ai Enma's live after Hell Girl.

Question: So now you are hosting a show on Japanís History Channel. How did you get that job?

Ai: They chased me down and offered it to me. With my following in the fantasy genre, they figured I would draw viewers in. I guess they were right. Our ratings were great the first season. They are now just a fraction of a point less this year, but still we are doing quite well.

Q: What was the biggest draw to that job for you? The subject matter?

A: Partly. It is a very interesting show. Iíve learned a lot. For example, I now know the difference between a European vampire, an American vampire and a Chinese vampire. But mostly I like the idea of traveling around the world while getting paid for it. The production company pays for the flights and hotels. We do get a meal allowance, which covers only half the cost of eating, but who cares? Outside of that, I pay only for my own shopping. This is a dream job. Who would turn it down?

Q: Did you get any other offers?

A: Oh, yes. Offers to do series. Most were Hell Girl rip-offs. All were s---. The scripts stunk. At first, I read them for a laugh. Eventually that got old. I did get offered a modeling contract. Some company wanted me to endorse their line of goth apparel. I told them I wasnít goth. They answered, ďWell your character is.Ē It was a real what-the-f--- moment for me. They obviously never saw Hell Girl. They only knew I was a star, the name of the show, and they assumed the rest.

Q: Any spooky or scary moments covering a story for Ghosts, Ghouls and Demons?

A: We just had a spooky moment here in Washington. Thereís a military base within the city where the city prison once stood. Thatís where they hung the Lincoln conspirators. There are those who claim they can hear the condemned cry at night. We got permission to go on base in the late evening to film. No one was around and we heard the wind whistle. But there was no wind. Now you want to know about the most scary moment?

Q: Sure.

A: The first season, we were in Mexico doing a story on the chupacabra. We were filming a farmer on his land were he claimed to have once killed a monster. On our way back to town, we ran into a police or army roadblock. We had to get out of the car. We were searched and questioned, and eventually let go. When we got back to our hotel, we were told that on the next farm over there had been a mass gang killing. That farm was being used as a cocaine factory. The owner, most of his family and employees were all executed. We were less than three miles away. I was ready to leave that country there and then, but we were scheduled to take a few days off in Acapulco. I didnít care. I just wanted out of Mexico. But I was out voted. But once in Acapulco I calmed down. I brought myself this cute yellow and off-white bikini, and spent two days laying on the beach.

Q: Will there be a third season of Ghosts, Ghouls and Demons?

A: If there is, it will be without me. I enjoyed it. It was fun. But after two years, it got really tiring. Iím away from family and friends. Two years is enough.

Q: What about your personal life? This there a man in your life?

A: Hmmm. Not at present.

Q: So there was?

A: (Laughs) OK. Iíll tell you this story. No names. Anyone who already knows the story knows who Iím talking about. But there was this guy with the show during the first season. . . .

Q: You mean your current show, not Hell Girl?

A: Right. We were spending quite a bit of time together and about at that stage where we would start talking about a serious commitment. Thatís when he sprung his big confession on me. He told me he was bisexual and that he wasnít sure he could be monogamous. I was like, ďIf youíre not sure, how can I be sure?Ē On the one hand I respect him for being honest, but on the other hand he was putting me at risk. I just told him, ďCall me when you are sure Ė in about ten years.Ē But I would like a steady, committed relationship. Thatís one reason Iím quitting the show after this season. I figure my chance are better if I just stay in one place.

Q: Do people still recognize you as Hell Girl?

A: Oh sure. All the time. Although I am a bit older and my real hair is short. And my real eyes are not red.

Q: Do you get any requests to send people to hell?

A: Oh. (Laughs) Do I? All the time. But mostly its just people joking. I was stopped on the street hear yesterday by a couple who recognized me. The woman asked me to send her boyfriend, who was standing there, to hell for forgetting her birthday. She was kidding of course. She was laughing about it.

Q: You say most of the time people are joking. Does that mean you sometimes get requests that are real?

A: Not often. But it does happen. I had to close down my Facebook page because of some of the requests. Thereís a fan website maintained by a fan club of mine. They get requests to forward onto me. A few times I am stopped on the street. Once someone came and sat down at my table in a restaurant. I get requests from kids abused by a teacher or parent, or someone by a lover or spouse. It gets pretty disturbing.

Q: What do you tell them?

A: Well, Iím a bit nervous about telling them it all is made up, not real. But these people. . . . You arenít sure what their state of mind is. I only tell them I donít do the hell thing anymore, and suggest they might seek a shelter or counselor or something like that. They usually respond that they canít and go away, sometimes in tears. I am concerned over what one of these people might do. I guess thatís my curse. But Iíve gotten pretty good at sensing out when someone is not quite right. I make sure there are others around before I talk to them. So far, well. . . .

Q: Would you come back to Hell Girl if asked?

A: It would have to be one damn good script to get me back. Also, a bit more money. (Laughs) Iím happy just to do personal appearances promoting the show.

Q: So what plans do you have for the future?

A: Work Ė hopefully. I would like to do something different, like a romantic comedy. Or any comedy. I thought it would be interesting to do a male role, sort of like Cate Blanchett in Iím Not There. Did you see that one? I lived that movie.

Q: But you have no immediate plans?

A: None, except take a vacation and spend time with family when I get back to Japan. I have two shows now paying me royalties. I will continue to do personal appearances to promote Hell Girl. With Two Mirrors and Three Vessels yet to be released world-wide on DVD, I should be busy with that.

Q: Any last words for your fans?

A: Hmmm. Keep your eyes open for anime and sci-fi conventions. Maybe I will be there. I hope to meet as many of you as I can. Howís that? Sincere or corny? (Laughs)

Q: One last request. Will you repeat the lines you would say when you sent someone to hell?

A: Oh pitiful shadow wallowing in. . . . Wallowing in. . . . S--- I guess. Bringing pain and discomfort? No. Thatís not it. (Laughs) Everyone asks me to do that. I canít remember those lines anymore. Not offstage.

The End
Old 11-06-2012, 01:14 AM   #7   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
Lucky you survived that interview

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote