Old 04-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Cool Ghost Hound

The first thing I should mentions is that through at least the first five episodes, disc 1, there is no hound. But the title does set the spirit of the series, and disc 1 is as far as I have gotten.

Taro is not your typical anime teenaged schoolboy. For one thing, he lives with his parents. But Taro after all these years is still suffering emotional scars from the time he and his older sister were kidnapped. Older sister did not survive. Add in Makoto, a distant cousin who's father was suspected of having something to do with the crime and committing suicide, and Masayuki, who gets into everybody's business and has a dark secret of his own.

This series deals heavily with the supernatural. It is also very dark, which keeps me interested. More on this later after I finish disc 2. Meanwhile, no spoilers please.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finished disc 2, episodes 6-11. There really does not seem to be a central plot theme. Taro and his friends are now having out of body experiences. They are investigating Taro's kidnapping. Strange things are being seen by more people. And we do see a hound or two. The story is going all over the place, yet it still hold my interest.

I forgot to mention that the DVD does not have an English dub, so you have to watch in Japanese with subtitles. There is also a younger girl character who bares a facial resemblance to Ai Enma (Hell Girl). It is either her little sister, or the same artists.

What about the artists? The artwork on the series is quite good, although the animation style is mostly average. Actually, in the first episodes it looks like more of an effort was made with the animation. It was closer to movie style than the quick and cheap TV methods. But that turned around quickly in the last six episodes. But other than that, the artwork is quite good.

More later. I will get into character development, perhaps.
Old 18-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finished disc 3. There is one more to go. So far the story is not really progressing. The plot is very uneven. Events just happen with little or no connection to the past. Taro's kidnapping and the death of his sister is the only constant.

Yet I am still drawn in by this series. Perhaps it is because in Ghost Hound, as in real life, kids would not have the mindset to go through a crises with single-mindedness?

The one aspect I really do not like about the series is when it gets into all these psychological explanations which are at the heart of the plotline. It really upsets the timing and slows down the action.

More after I finish the final disc.
Old 25-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finished the last disc and thus the entire Ghost Hound series. There was a lot to cover in the final episode. Taro has to save the girl, and all the minor plot points have to be resolved.

As I said before, there is a certain lack of focus in this series. But I decided that adds a touch of reality. After all, the main characters are young teens, and a lack of focus is often a teenage malady.

As for the actual ending, it is very low keyed. It just happens. One would expect something a bit stronger.

But I will still recommend Ghost Hound. It has a touch of darkness surrounding each episode, and that caught my interest. Through all the series' faults, I never got board and I was interested in seeing how things would turn out.